• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Comme des Garcons 2 Man, a very subdued classic.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been absent from this thread for a while due to lack of new things to say. Anyway, I did get something new recently. I accidentally ended up chatting with Michel Gutsatz of the Jardin Retrouve, a house his (famous) father Yuri set up a few decades ago and which is now dedicated to maintaining the most important of Yuri's perfumes (with the usual spiel about using the best ingredients, etc.). Everything is sold online only.

I understand Turin gave the Rose a high score (and Michel tells me it is popular in China), but a particularly classical mood took me when ordering samples so I gave it a miss.

The Verveine d'Ete was a dry and sharp verbena, very classical. There's apparently vetiver and eucalyptus in there but they were blended in well enough; still, they take the scent away from l'Occitane territory into perfumery. I don't have much to say about it because it is so straightforward, but that's a good thing in this case. Sometimes you want to wear a white shirt and a plain navy tie.

Citron Boboli was effectively a dessert. Very spicy, rich, sweet lemon. I can't wear this - I suspect it'd be sickening after 10 minutes - but it is a cool smell and I could see a small amount of it being a nice Christmas scent.

Sandalwood Sacre, which is one of his most famous and still uses sandalwood from the same Indian supplier his father was already using (despite what Turin wrote, to Michel's annoyance), is unapologetically male and old school: patchouli, oakmoss... but without the nasty bitter overtones and drydown we've learnt to expect from mass market fougeres and other things marketed at the white collar professional. I didn't get the coriander mentioned by others.

I quite like this house. Classical taste with some thinking behind it, decent ingredients, still a family business. If others here have tried the rest of the line, I'd like to hear more about it.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been absent from this thread for a while due to lack of new things to say. Anyway, I did get something new recently. I accidentally ended up chatting with Michel Gutsatz of the Jardin Retrouve, a house his (famous) father Yuri set up a few decades ago and which is now dedicated to maintaining the most important of Yuri's perfumes (with the usual spiel about using the best ingredients, etc.). Everything is sold online only.

I understand Turin gave the Rose a high score (and Michel tells me it is popular in China), but a particularly classical mood took me when ordering samples so I gave it a miss.

The Verveine d'Ete was a dry and sharp verbena, very classical. There's apparently vetiver and eucalyptus in there but they were blended in well enough; still, they take the scent away from l'Occitane territory into perfumery. I don't have much to say about it because it is so straightforward, but that's a good thing in this case. Sometimes you want to wear a white shirt and a plain navy tie.

Citron Boboli was effectively a dessert. Very spicy, rich, sweet lemon. I can't wear this - I suspect it'd be sickening after 10 minutes - but it is a cool smell and I could see a small amount of it being a nice Christmas scent.

Sandalwood Sacre, which is one of his most famous and still uses sandalwood from the same Indian supplier his father was already using (despite what Turin wrote, to Michel's annoyance), is unapologetically male and old school: patchouli, oakmoss... but without the nasty bitter overtones and drydown we've learnt to expect from mass market fougeres and other things marketed at the white collar professional. I didn't get the coriander mentioned by others.

I quite like this house. Classical taste with some thinking behind it, decent ingredients, still a family business. If others here have tried the rest of the line, I'd like to hear more about it.

wow this house has a heritage to match. But I wonder if it is too classical compared to modern aldehydic times

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm I’ll have to sample the Sandalwood, if the name ingredient is the real thing.

For me today Myrurgia 1916, a classical cologne water. Enjoyable summery and short. AOk for the office.

I snagged a 15 mL bottle of Slumberhouse Brosse recently. But want to wear it a couple more times before reviewing.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bruno Fazzolari Five today. I love the three dimensionality of the citrus note, which I think is attributable to the herb component Much better version of an EDC than, say, the short lived Zegna acqua di bergamotto I own (which mostly get sprayed on linens now). I wish Bruno would release 9ml minis of all his scents.

Wore Dusita Sillage Blanc to bed last night. Maybe a day of reading Luca And Tania's first perfumery guide changed my perspective on this but it's growing on me in its own weird way. Way too expensive for me for a full bottle, though.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JR Verveine D'Ete dried down to a clean, green vetiver, with little in the way of wood shavings or cumin as is more common with vetiver. We are very far from Encre Noire, and perhaps closer to my vetiver grail, Givenchy's original. Throughout, there was only balance and simplicity without being bare, and whilst the more aggressively artistic may call it boring I call it my new navy suit scent.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would have preferred something peppery, bright, and uplifting this morning (Timbuktu would have worked) but I grabbed the Encre Noir in a rush instead. Love the bottle.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any likes or loves for zegna italian bergamot

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any likes or loves for zegna italian bergamot
Zegna reputedly has its own stash of bergamot, accounting for the prominence of that note in its entire line, to say nothing of this scent, which is a classic Cologne Water built around a quality bergamot. Thumbs up from me.

For me today, Creed's Selection Verte, a zingy combo of lime, mint, lemon, neroli and grass clippings.
It's short, but longer than the infamous but lovely Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes, which has faded into oblivion by the time you get the cap back on the bottle. At least the Trumper's is cheap. Wish the Creed were more reasonably priced. I could see buying a 200mL of this little gem and just ladling it on in July and August.

c0de

Reaction score
I've been wearing Tom Ford grey vetiver, and I LOVE the fragrance. However, I have to put on 4 sprays and even then the longevity is very short (few hours tops).

I'm not sure if I have a bad bottle, or I just got used to it (been wearing daily for a bit under a year). Can someone recommend something similar in tone but had a little longer longevity?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing Tom Ford grey vetiver, and I LOVE the fragrance. However, I have to put on 4 sprays and even then the longevity is very short (few hours tops).

I'm not sure if I have a bad bottle, or I just got used to it (been wearing daily for a bit under a year). Can someone recommend something similar in tone but had a little longer longevity?

Consider spraying it on your clothes to get a bit more staying power. Also consider that you may become used to it after a few hours therefore you may not smell it but others do.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Labo Neroli 36 today. I hold Le Labo in high regard but this is not a favourite. The immediate top notes are lovely with plenty of orange blossom, but it settles into a soapy uninteresting fragrance pretty quickly. And I don't get a lot of longevity from it.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. 1ml sample so just dabbing it on, but I like it. Not sure if I want the top notes on a rack of lamb or myself, but it's not bad. I'm pretty sure I just stole a joke Luca Turin made but it's true.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna reputedly has its own stash of bergamot, accounting for the prominence of that note in its entire line, to say nothing of this scent, which is a classic Cologne Water built around a quality bergamot. Thumbs up from me.

For me today, Creed's Selection Verte, a zingy combo of lime, mint, lemon, neroli and grass clippings.
It's short, but longer than the infamous but lovely Trumper's Extract of West Indian Limes, which has faded into oblivion by the time you get the cap back on the bottle. At least the Trumper's is cheap. Wish the Creed were more reasonably priced. I could see buying a 200mL of this little gem and just ladling it on in July and August.

yes i read about their special bergamot plantation in calabria. But it really is quite different and premium in its bergamot. I can't ping it but it lingers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads