1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. James1051

James1051 Senior Member

Digging further into the vanillas today.
    And its Profumo's Don Corleone. A beautiful vanilla&tuberose blend sitting on a light layer of his aces Tobacco absolute. It is gourmand-ish, but boosted with a single spritz of his Tabac...heaven.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

Trying some new stuff lately:

CB I Hate Perfume's Russian Caravan Tea: Smells like ... Russian black tea. But also, after a while, like room temperature milk. Or musty old books on a damp day. Nice, but I feel like there are better tea-based fragrances out there.

Heeley's Sel Marin: Salty, beachy, fresh. More interesting than most aquatics (e.g. Creed, Acqua Di Gio, etc), but also doesn't have that meaty, salami feel of some niche formulations (e.g. Malle's Lys Mediterranee). I really like this one, but wish it lasted longer. Mostly a skin scent after like three hours.

I've been thinking about getting a couple more bottles from him. How do you find they fare after a year or two? Does the composition change much at all after a while, even if you keep it in the dark? Even his 30ml bottles will likely last me years.

3. James1051

James1051 Senior Member

I haven't noticed a change in the scents, but the bottles I have are less than 5 years old. I don't have a sense for how long the natural materials will last over longer periods of time (i.e. 20 years or so). But I'll be lucky to last another 20 years, so its probably academic for someone my age!

4. Spunge

Spunge Member

Were you using the water perfume or the absolute? I had a sample of the water perfume that I liked, but it did not last at all. Masque Milano Russian Tea is similar, and much better IMO.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

Water. Agree masque version is great. I have a bottle of that one

6. Spunge

Spunge Member

Masque Russian Tea is hands down my favorite fragrance. My only regret is I didn't buy a large bottle before the price increase. There are a lot of tea scents out there, but I haven't found anything that smells quite like it.

7. James1051

James1051 Senior Member

At your suggestion, took Russian Tea as my SOTD. Good stuff.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

I am wearing L'air du desert marocain today... it's very nice, although not quite as distinctive as I had imagined. It has the profile of many Oud-based scents, although there is not actual Oud involved - basically it seems to contain many of the same supporting elements: coriander, jasmine, rose, cedar... in many ways, it reminds me of nothing so much as a more sophisticated, subtle and less macho take on something like Old Spice - I'm serious here, and I don't mean this in a bad way at all.

9. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I don’t think anyone would interpret that as an insult - Old Spice is a freaking icon which was worn by the previous three generations of men and still going strong. L’Air du Desert Marocain is very well blended, and this combine with the hype, I can see why someone would not be knocked over at first. If you haven’t worn it much, I’d be interested in seeing how many people compliment you on this fragrance over time - it’s one of only three I ever get compliments on.

Today I’m wearing Amouage Homage.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Oh, it's very nice indeed, don't get me wrong. And the dry-down, even the next day is this lovely chocolate, which you definitely don't get with Old Spice (I'm more of a Tabac man when it comes to popular classics...)

11. losrockets

losrockets Senior Member

I'm really frustrated with the 5ml LADDM bottle I received from Tauer. I understand it's a dabber but it's a total PITA to get any liquid out at all. I know dab vs spray can yield a very different olfactory experience but so far with this bottle I've been relegated to short lived skin scent rather than the glorious day long spice bouquet of my spray sample. Any advice on how I can improve on this experience?