• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TF Japon Noir. This was discontinued pretty quickly. It's a dark, rich ambery leather scent that's really reminiscent of the 1980s. I smelled this for the first time at a TF trunk show when the PBs were still new. I loved it immediately, but over time I've come to like it less.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Throwback Saturday:
The first fragrance I ever bought... way back in the 80s. Perry Ellis. This version is about 10 years old so it's probably some inferior reformulation. But I still have a soft spot spot for its spicy, vanilla, carnation, rose thing.
PE.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Throwback Saturday:
The first fragrance I ever bought... way back in the 80s. Perry Ellis. This version is about 10 years old so it's probably some inferior reformulation. But I still have a soft spot spot for its spicy, vanilla, carnation, rose thing.
View attachment 892978

Oh yeah! My dad had a huge bottle of that which I used on occasion back in the early 90s. It’s perfect for this time of year.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore Profumo's Mysore Sandalwood attar at work today.

Tonight, layered over it Samsara EdP, a floral oriental lying upon a rich sandalwood base. The floral notes are a bit sweet for me, but the sandalwood is a delight.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh yeah! My dad had a huge bottle of that which I used on occasion back in the early 90s. It’s perfect for this time of year.

Finally getting cold around here. I also busted out the old Comme des Garcons yesterday which is like Christmas potpourri and mulling spice.

Today, I'm trying a sample of Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie by Dominque Ropion. This one is really strange. It has (to me) a really off-putting flower opening. You know those kind of easter stock flowers that give you (me) a headache? But that fades quickly into a really yummy vanilla, rose, musky thing with a very faint flower in the background. Very pretty... but that opening. Sheesh.

une-fleur-de-cassie.jpg

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ It's the opening that I really like in Une Fleur de Cassie!

Yesterday: Dusita Oudh Infini. I don't mind challenging ouds, but this is really too much. It smells like mothballs to me.
Today: TF Venetian Bergamot.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ha! Vive le difference! I'm really enjoying the dryback though. Really pretty. I reapplied an hour or two ago to keep the vibe going.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying a sample of Tom Ford's Oud Minérale today. Whoa. This is kinda weird and good. Salty, beachy, mossy. Not my usual thing, but I'm liking it.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying a sample of Tom Ford's Oud Minérale today. Whoa. This is kinda weird and good. Salty, beachy, mossy. Not my usual thing, but I'm liking it.

hmm, that sounds interesting.
Today for me is Balenciaga PH vintage.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gotta say, I don't like Oud Minérale at all. It's very salty and aquatic, which I almost never like and which doesn't blend well with oud. Vive la différence!

In general, I haven't enjoyed many of Tom Ford's recent releases. I like Velvet Orchid (and Velvet Orchid Lumière) and Venetian Bergamot. But I thought the Vert series and Noir Anthracite were really disappointing. ******* Fabulous is okay, but not better than that.

Speaking of Ford, I'm wearing Tobacco Oud today.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone try that Hendley line? I think some people picked up samples during Black Friday.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, how's House of Matriarch? Lots of good reviews online, but the samples/ bottles are crazy expensive.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, how's House of Matriarch? Lots of good reviews online, but the samples/ bottles are crazy expensive.

The ones I have tried (Kazimi, Coco Blanc, Maj) are quite nice, although not nearly the magical elixirs that some YouTube reviewers make them out to be. They also don't last that long on my skin, perhaps due to their lack of synthetic ingredients. If you sign up for the HoM newsletter, you will be informed of occasional flash sales that deeply discount selected scents. These sales often include the 15 mL samples. In addition, every purchase you make from the HoM website builds up discounts on future purchases. So the prices, while still steep, are not nearly as bad as they first appear if you decide you like the brand. I recommend trying out Kazimi (rose), Coco Blanc (gourmand with a sandalwood base), and Black No. 1 (leather).

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found my one testing of Matriarch Blackbird to be quite similar to Papillon Anubis.

I’m in Texas for a week and carried Tam Dao, Oud Palao, Interlude, and L’Air du Desert Marocain with me. The first three are full samples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads