Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Ourzazate is one of my favorites in their incense line. Someone earlier in this thread said they like CDG Black better because the incense line is just straightforward incense, whereas Black has more going on. I can see that, although I find Black a bit more challenging to wear.

Two more recently:

Olfactive Studio's Close Up: Coffee, pachouli, and a very strong cherry note (like cough syrup cherry). There's something animalic in the opening, but that surprisingly goes away after a while. Very smooth and sweet. It gets better as it evolves, but I don't like that dirty opening.

Olfactive Studio's Chambre Noire: Leather, pachouli, and jasmine at the front, then a heavy vanilla and plum at the base. It's dark, woody, and leathery, but the plum adds a bit of unusual sweetness. A really interesting leather scent, although I don't know how I feel about that plum. Kind of the opposite of Close Up, where I find the opening better than the base. Nice and boozy though, if you like boozy fragrances.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think a lot of fragrance fans value "longevity", but having a short attention span and being bored easily, I actually like stuff that fades a bit sooner. Then I can apply more -- or something else -- later in the day!

However, I do understand the frustration of a $200 bottle spritz (I'm talking to you, Van Cleef & Arpel Cologne Noire) fading after an hour.

p.s. not sure if you were referring to longevity by the term "shallowness" but I think the ideas are somewhat related. I guess you can have a shallow scent and have it be long lasting. either way, I appreciate shallow. :-/

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Yesterday: Oudh Infini by Dusita. I certainly don't mind some prominent barnyard facets in my ouds, but this one takes it too far for my taste.

Today: Bel Ami. Around ten years ago I wore this a lot. Wearing it now, it really feels old-fashioned in a way I hadn't noticed before.

4. npa23

npa23 Well-Known Member

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I almost replied to Synth earlier on this. I was taking "shallow" to mean "transparent," which is commonly used term in the fragrance world. I think a lot of modern scents strive for transparency - in particular it's often said to describe Jean Claude Elena's style. As opposed to the classic scents of the 60's-80's many of them were very dense and heavy.

6. James1051

James1051 Senior member

My SOTD was picked by the proprietors of the hotel Mrs J and I have occupied the last few days--Pomelo Paradis. Its good stuff, judged by the soaps and body lotion, anyway. Grapefruit, orange and mint, to my nose. Regrettably, they do not leave a bottle of the Cologne Absolue for their guests to try, but based on the soaps and lotion, I think I'll probably spring for at least a 30mL of the PP.

7. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Have you tried the Oud from Brooklyn Perfume? I'm not a big oud guy, but that one I liked. It had some funk, but also a fruity note, and wood. Pretty good I thought.

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Yeah, this is what I meant, although in this case it could certainly mean both.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Baron @Synthese "Transparent" is a good visual word for this. Something that is not opaque. Even if I do like a scent, if it sticks to me too much (ie. is too opaque, or holds on too long, too "clingy"?) I won't wear it much. I think it's one reason I like EdT.

SOTD: Chanel Pour Monsieur (again)