Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Dries van Noten for me today. It's very hot and humid here in STL, so it really wasn't the best fit. But I enjoy the scent a lot.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

That's true. I find these don't last as long, but they're wonderful fragrances.

Today trying AbdesSalaam's Tawaf and Milano Caffe. First is jasmine and rose water. Opening is a bit dirty, but it's a softer floral after an hour. Second is coffee and chocolate, maybe also a bit of rum and tobacco in the background. I like it better than yesterday's Cuba Express, although they're all good. Milano is less spice-y, and I imagine more easily wearable for most people here.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today was a good Indian Summer day, just right for Tom Ford's Lavender Palm.

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Parfum d'Habit today from MaƮtre Parfumeur et Gantier (that's a mouthful). Love it, and recently picked up a sample through Luckyscent. I'm mostly noting the incense, leather, and sandalwood, which is very pleasant and so far long lasting.

5. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Somehow I managed to omit Profumo's Sharif from my list of favorites by him--bitter almond, clove and a touch of amber, civet and oakmoss. Beautiful scent, with modest projection and OK longevity. I usually wear this in colder times, but I think I'll wear it out tonight, a warm "indian summer" evening.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

That sounds good. He sent me some samples along with my order. I think that was included? If not, i should order a sample

Helmet Lang Curion today. Smells like the inside of a suede jacket. Usually dont get much longevity out of this, but it's lasting pretty well today. One of my favorites.

7. sood

sood Senior member

what is the best place to order samples?

8. crdb

crdb Senior member

Sharif is my favourite of the line, I think, although Palermo the most understated and most often worn with Milano Caffe a close second. I think Grezzo is well made and interesting although closer to Amouage in style, as is Mecca Balsam (both more wearable though). Attar Maulana, like Sharif, has this warm animalic-edible side that makes it instantly likeable.

I'd say skip Chillum, the criticism of smoked ham is spot on. I'd also have said skip Cuba Express but you seem to like it.

Oak moss and Persona are lovely but too sharp for our heat. One of these days I'll pack them on a cold weather trip.

Dominique's top hits for me have been the animalic centered ones (leather, ambergris, etc.), that invisible dimension of smell-ummami that he has totally mastered like few others. Compared to e.g. Chanel's Cuir de Russie or Knize Ten it is more interesting, warmer and more human, and a little wilder.

I regret not trying Maya or Frutti as I'd love to smell his take on chocolate and osmanthus respectively.

9. crdb

crdb Senior member

Directly on profumo.it. It's only a little more expensive per scent than on the rebottling sites, and you get much more for your money (maybe twice as much?), and he might chuck in some freebies. Additionally you're guaranteed a fresh batch which is not necessarily true with the third party samplers. This is most important with AbdesSalaam as his natural ingredients do change in olfactory profile over time, and are sensitive to bad storage.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I am wearing Wiener Blut Palais Nizam.