Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Senior member

What's the view among SF members on the Lorenzo Villoresi line? I'm been curious for a while but I've heard different opinions. Any fragrances in particular worth looking out for?

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You're a pretty big fan of immortelle, right? What do you think of Histoires des Parfums 1740?

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Yeah, I do like immortelle quite a bit. HdP 1740 is one of my favorites in their lineup, but I do wish the patchouli note weren't quite so prominent. I prefer my immortelle to have a kind have sticky, syrupy sweetness, but the patchouli cuts through that.

4. James1051

James1051 Senior member

I had a bottle and then sold it in a rush of downsizing. Probably a dumb move. Great autumn scent.

Today for me it's Eau de Gloire. My fave of the Parf dEmpire line. Bitter aromatics on a warm resinous base.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I've tried this line twice in my life, and unfortunately don't have consistent access to get a fair impression of it. From what I remember, they seemed quite straightforward, but in a good way. Elegantly simple? They are consistent with how I view Italian fragrances: relatively light and unfussy. There's been chatter about multiple reformulations over the years, but here we are.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I wore Creed GIT to try to double some recent success I've had with it, but it felt flat from the moment I looked at the (admittedly misshapen) bottle.

I had more interest with my Jil Sander Man, yesterday, which is a rather forgotten scent, at least in my book.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't like the line much. Piper Nigrum was a big favorite on the frag forums many years ago when I used to hang around those, but to me it just smells like powdery peppermint. There's definitely a house note, too. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

I've probably asked you this, but have you ever sampled Biche dans l'absinthe? That's my favorite immortelle, but I think it's basically impossible to find at this point. I have a couple drops left, and I don't even wear it. Just keep it as reference.

8. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

I'm a huge fan, but think they've suffered greatly from reformulation. If you can find the old versions of Incensi, Pier Nigrum, Spezie & Uomo, they're well worht a spin.

9. L'Incandescent

I vaguely recall your having asked me that. Unfortunately, the answer is no. I will poke around to see if I can find it, though.

As regards Villoresi, I absolutely love their Musk. But I hear that it has been reformulated, and for the worse.

My SOTE is George Sand (the MPG one, not the HdP). It's a beautiful patchouli, amber, and rose scent.

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Papillon Dryad: I think I said earlier this reminds me of Bandit, but on closer comparison, the two are nothing alike. Dryad is wet, mossy, and floral. Bandit is smokey and leathery. Dryad is also considerably lighter and sweeter, whereas Bandit can feel a bit old-school. The only real link is the chypre note, which gives both a sort of moody feel. Dryad feels a bit easier to wear by comparison, but it fades quickly.

There's a weird note somewhere in here that feels a bit like green apples or pears. It's nice, but also a bit young? Or like ... something I've smelled before walking through hotels. Not sure how I feel about it.

Papillon's Anubis feels a lot more like Bandit than Dryad, especially after the opening. I get leather, honey, tobacco, and smoke. On scent alone, it's great, but I don't know when I would wear this except for cold nights when I know I'll mostly be outside. Also feels like it would be perfect for when you're wearing a big, comfy sweater, but also not much else.

11. James1051

James1051 Senior member

The comparison to Bandit is on the money. I like both scents and had them both at one time. But rarely wore them and so they've found a new home.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I'm wearing Tauer's Lonestar Memories, which I like as much as L'Air du Desert Marocain.

13. L'Incandescent

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Herm├Ęs. I tried this at Logan Airport very soon after it came out. At first I thought there must have been a mistake, as the top was so unusual. But I quickly fell in love with it, and it's been among my favorites ever since.

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Yea, it basically feels like Bandit, but without the chypre. I really like it, but also rarely wear my Bandit. It just seems a bit dated in ways, and hard to find the occasion. Anubis feels a bit more modern, but seemingly also hard to wear. I can't imagine ever going through a whole bottle, but a small decant might be nice.

Trying Bruno Fazzolari's Unsettled today. It's fresh and creamy, almost like a sherbet, but not as sweet. Black tea and fresh pineapple accord. Little bit of sandalwood in there. I like this better than Five, which is basically like a lemondrop bomb. Both feel very beach-y.

15. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Unsettled is on my Try list. I ended up buying Five, and enjoy it.

Today I was in meetings all day. Discretion called for, so I went with Iunx L'Arbre, Olivia Giacometti's tribute to sandalwood. Buttery, salty elegance. Just the wood and only the wood. Its a must try for sandalwood fans.

Tonight kicking back in Habit Rouge EDC vintage. Not really all that old, HR-EDC seems like it is from an entirely different era. Beautiful stuff.