Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Some more FM lately:

Vetiver Extraordinaire: Damp, grassy vetiver that's been rounded out with lemon and sandalwood. Less old school than Guerlain. More interesting (and less citrus-y) than Tom Ford. I think @HORNS says he find other options to be richer and more complex, but … I sort of like that it's kind of mellow and simple? On the grassier and fresher side of vetiver, and supposedly one that stays truer to the original root than most.

Bois d’Orage: Vetiver, cedar, and angelica. A bit woody, musky, and mossy, with a hint of patchouli in the background. Such a great, almost year-round scent. I hate to use the word sophisticated, but it feels sophisticated in a way that makes this easy to wear with tailored clothing.

Dries van Noten: My first go around with this was good, but on this recent spray, it felt a bit too powdery and sweet to me. Like rum and vanilla dried over a bed of powder. A bit woody; a bit sweet. A good scent, but there are so many good options to me in the FM line, I'm not sure this ranks among my favorites (eg En Passant, Bois d'Orage, Portrait of a Lady, Cologne Indelible, etc). Might have to give it another go.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

3. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Alt Innsbruck is great. I have a little left of my second bottle and will have to stock up again come the Autumn. I think it works best as an aftershave so you get that fresh menthol kick before it fades away and the sweet tobacco flower comes in.

4. dieworkwear

Not sure what you mean by deconstructed, but maybe Brydo Mojave Ghost, Bal d'Afrique, and Gypsy Water? TBH, I'm not really into the Byrdo line, but they do interesting scents that ... maybe could be called deconstructed? Definitely feel linear to me (at least from what I remember) and not too complex. More interesting to me than the stuff from CdG, but also not "typical."

Terre d'Hermes is great. Encre Noir is a bit too dirty and inky, from what I remember.

If you're up for a more "typical" fragrance, I've been really into Frederic Malle. En Passant, Lys Mediterranee, Cologne Indelible, Bigarade Concentree, Carnal Flower, Geranium Pour Monsieur, and L'eau d'Hiver would all work for summer, I think. Don't know if they're typical, but they do feel less weird than some other lines.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

5. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find both of these to be very strong, to the point that I have a hard time wearing either one. I went through a decant of VE a few years ago, and while I like it, I found the silage to be almost too much for regular wear. I have a female friend that now wears it regularly (by the way, the party trick of identifying someone's perfume never get's old - people are always shocked and impressed), and I've smelled her from across an outdoor courtyard. Again, it's not a bad smell, but it's very instense.

Bois d'orage is maybe another issue. There's a note there that tends to give me scent fatigue, so that's probably just personal to me. It's a kind of damp, sharp, woody note. I have a decant and I do wear it very occasionally (I get compliments on it!), but I have to wear it in small doses.

6. dieworkwear

Huh, I didn't think VE pushed out any more than my average scents, but maybe I should pay closer attention. I do find that it lasts forever though. And it's a bit harder to wear than some of my other vetivers (e.g. Sycamore). I really like it, but not totally sure the kind of occasions and clothes it feels good with.

I see what you mean abut BdO's sharpness. Tam Dao feels louder to me, and more distinctively woody, but the corners are rounded out with a coconut milkiness in a way that isn't there with BdO. Vetiver also can have a bit of sharp bitterness.

7. karmaguy

karmaguy Senior member

re: tom ford grey vetiver, are you guys usually referring to the EdP or the EdT? going to order a sample but feels redundant to order both...

also my current go-to is amouage reflection but i'm looking for some new scents to try. preferably something suited for summer (since where i live it only gets below 90 a few months out of the year), maybe a little dry and spicy? i bet malle makes something i'd love but so $$

8. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Just tried a sample of Kilian Straight to Heaven White Cristal at Saks. I really liked it. Seems to my untrained nose to be a good summer scent. I also read a lot of reviews saying it's a generic, run of the mill fragrance with a hefty price tag (I agree on the latter).

Is there a cheaper alternative?

9. dieworkwear

Wore Eau d'Hermes today. Thanks to @Baron and @L'Incandescent for the rec! A little dirtier than Bigarade Concentree, so maybe more challenging to wear, but I also like it a little more for that reason. A bit more interesting than BC's straightaway citrus take.

10. dieworkwear

Some more FM scents lately, but off-season

Monsieur: Patchouli and incense, with hints of rum, tangerine, and vanilla. A bit spicy and woody, but not too much. The heavy concentration here of patchouli gives it a very old-school "manly" vibe, but it also feels soft, velvety, and warm. In the dry down, it can also feel a little creamy. Really rich and mellow, and it lasts like nothing else. Pushes out pretty heavy too, so many only good for colder winter nights?

Noir Epices: Normally not into spice bombs, but this one feels nice. I smell cloves with a little bit of nutmeg and cinnamon, which are supported in the back with patchouli and sandalwood. There's also a hint of rose, minty geranium, dry bergamot, and smooth vanilla to round it out. Like Monsieur, it lasts forever and pushes out pretty heavy, so maybe only for cold days. A bit more interesting to me than Monsieur (and less powdery, which I like).

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I wore Bel Ami Vetiver, which is to me just as good as the vintage stuff I have.

12. dieworkwear

Some Hermes lately:

Un Jardin Su Le Nil: A Jean Claude Ellena scent inspired by a garden on the Nile. Smells just like that. Fresh, green, unripened mangos with aquatic notes to give it a vague sense of "watery-ness." The scent feels uplifting and fresh, and at times, even a bit creamy. There's a hint of incense somewhere far in the background, which gives the scent some depth. Makes this not just about a fruity aquatic. It wears very light and is hard to detect, but undeniably nice.

Vetiver Tonka: Maybe one of my favorite vetivers. Vetiver and tonka bean in the foreground, with a bit of hazelnut, caramel, and praline in the back. There's a rum and coffee accord here that helps smooth out the bitter grassiness of vetiver. The scent is woody, nutty, warm, sweet, and earthy. Sometimes smells like a can of root beer that has been just opened. Reminds me of Yohji Homme, but where I felt that was a bit too gourmand for my taste, this one feels just right.