Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Chicago Guy

Chicago Guy Well-Known Member

Richard James on this very cold morning.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Any fans/users of Pomegranate Noir?

I promised myself no more blind buys/swaps but I recently got an offer on a swap of this and I bit as it looked intriguing.

Can anybody tell me what I'm in for?

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I'm on the last of my Eau Sauvage Extreme (annoyingly it's not been available in the UK for a few years and last time I imported i got hit by customs charges) - I like the standard version but not as much.

5. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Wearing my newly acquired Truefitt&Hill Freshman today,
    Its like Green Irish Tweed meets Polo Sport

6. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Bvlgari Black. Need to feel warm & dry today.

7. dopey

Bvlgari Black. Need to feel warm & dry today.

I have tried it several times and find it odd but not interesting. The appeal is lost on me.

8. rach2jlc

I have tried it several times and find it odd but not interesting. The appeal is lost on me.

Some time give Le Labo Patchouli 24 a sniff. If you found the Black uninteresting, I'd be curious to see if the Le Labo (made by the same "nose" and somewhat related to each other) would more spark your interest. It's really a unique one...

9. oceans11

oceans11 Senior member

I'm also liking Frank Los Angeles #1 I believe. I can't remember because they have 1-3 & I bought #2 & didn't like it because it had a very high Cinnamon note in it.

10. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Wearing a sample of Montale's Patchouli Leaves tonight,
    Would be a nice scent for the winter, I could only handle it occasionally as its pretty rich..
    Maybe a more grown up version of Angel.

11. rach2jlc

Tom Ford White Patchouli. Really wonderful stuff... with Black Orchid and now White Patchouli, Ford really is outdoing himself in the "mainstream scent" world. I just wish I hadn't been so disappointed in his men's fragrance.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Heh, went with Yatagan largely through indifference, but I notice that the sweater I pulled on has a good dose of Chanel Chance on it.

13. dopey

Some time give Le Labo Patchouli 24 a sniff. If you found the Black uninteresting, I'd be curious to see if the Le Labo (made by the same "nose" and somewhat related to each other) would more spark your interest. It's really a unique one...

I will.

Le Labo's Vetiver 46 was my first scent purchase, and I still like it, though it is pretty powerful and serious stuff. I bought it on a family perfume day when we all went from store to store smelling different things and talking to the various reps. The L'Artisan rep at Barney's were really good and spent a lot of time explaining things to my daughters. He was much better informed than the clerk at the L'Artisan shop on Madison Avenue.

While I found the whole Le Labo vibe a bit silly and off-putting in its pretentiousness, I won't let that get in the way of trying something if it is really good. I recall that Luca Turin is a big fan of their Patchouli 24 and I enjoyed his little review of it.

14. rach2jlc

Yeah, I have a love/hate thing with Turin, though it's been some time since I read anything of his, so I'm really not an "expert" in his work. With scents, I like seeing the notes, which "nose" made it, and then go and sniff on my own, unencumbered by others' opinions. [​IMG] But, Turin goes back and forth with me between being very clever and "getting it" and then being so subjective that he sometimes misses the boat for some odd incomprehensible bias.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yeah, I have a love/hate thing with Turin, though it's been some time since I read anything of his, so I'm really not an "expert" in his work.

With scents, I like seeing the notes, which "nose" made it, and then go and sniff on my own, unencumbered by others' opinions. [​IMG] But, Turin goes back and forth with me between being very clever and "getting it" and then being so subjective that he sometimes misses the boat for some odd incomprehensible bias.

I like Turin's writing very much for his discretion. When he hates something - the review is just long enough so you know he hates it - no beating a dead horse. When he loves something - he goes on for pages why scent X is so great.

But yeah, there's a bias (hello - Chanel PE one star - WTF?) and he doesn't always give a scent his full attention (Amber Absolute a subset of YDAN - WTF?), but he's all we have at the moment.

BTW - if you've not read the Emperor of Scent, track that one down. It's a great read.