• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Cuir Garamante - again because even after I showered I could smell it on me, so I did a small spray. ****, this stuff is strong.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Creed, Green Irish Tweed. Wonderful, sophisticated scent. Can't go wrong with such a classic.

Now that I'm frequenting this thread a little more, I can't help but notice mentions of more esoteric, non-brand name brands. Are there any reference sites or go-to'd you'd recommend to help expand one beyond the Creed's, Hermes', and Dior's of the world?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah those are pretty much my two sources as well. There's a huge YouTube community and blog list but honestly most of my time is at Basenotes. I find Basenotes a little snooty and stuffy and the mods are too active, but overall the opinions are more informed and reviews are generally more academic. There is quite a bit of bias towards niche though, so IMO Fragrantica adds more female and mainstream scent options to the mix.

yesterday's scent was Boucheron's Jaipur Homme, EdP... bought a few samples of this years ago based on all the glowing reviews. It's got that barbershop creamyness with spicey/aromatic fougere overtone. Quite nice and pretty classic, but personally I still much prefer Rive Gauche PH. If you love RGPH and things like Azzaro then this is worth sampling. For me, RGPH gives me enough to cover that sort of thing.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@SirGrotius

In addition on Fragrantica and Basenotes, you might want to check out Grain de Musc and Bois de Jasmin, which are both really good fragrance-based blogs. But for getting up to speed with all the niche brands, fragrantica and basenotes are great places to start.

It's patchouli day for me today.

Pre-shower: Vengeance Extreme--a huge patchouli with rose
SOTD: Dior Patchouli Imperial

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just discovered some great news: Jul et Mad fragrances are now available in 20 ml sizes for $110. That's still a lot of money, of course, but I'm just not going to pay $280 for their regular 50 ml size.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually cheaper per ml. Is the flacon of lesser quality?

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you get nicer packaging with the 50 ml. And it also includes the 7 ml travel version, so you really get 57 ml.

rossoz

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions.

Since I like Chanel Bleu and Acqua di Gio, which Tom Ford fragrance might I like as well?

My daily wear is Davidoff Cool Water EDT.

Any ideas?

Thank you...

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Ford's general aesthetic is pretty different from Bleu, Acqua di Gio, and Cool Water. That said, I think Azure Lime and Rive d'Ambre would be your best bets.

rossoz

Reaction score
Tom Ford's general aesthetic is pretty different from Bleu, Acqua di Gio, and Cool Water. That said, I think Azure Lime and Rive d'Ambre would be your best bets.
L'

The Rive di'Ambre also interested me the first time I saw Tom Ford at Nordstrom. It may broaden my horizons, if I can scrape up the $210.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads