1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Have you guys tried many of Bruno Fazzolari's works? He's just fantastic; a real student of perfumery with an excellent nose. I'm wearing Au Dela tonight, which is a classic chypre like Mitsouko but through a modern lense. There's a leanness to it, almost, if you can imagine, as if Jean Claude Elena made a chypre without IFRA restrictions and that fragrance was in parfum extrait strength.

1 person likes this.
  2. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

@HORNS
    Thank you for the reminder! I have been meaning to get the discovery set, now done.

3. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

You bet, mister.

Today I am wearing Granville by Christian Dior.

4. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Went to the mall with Ms Parker, so today I am wearing:

Very Sexy For Him Platinum by Victoria Secret

[​IMG]

:-D

4 people like this.
  5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

No wonder I had an unexplained erection yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

:lol:

TF Ombre Leather 16 today. Going through some TF Samples. Like Oud Fleur... good, very good. But, not spectacular. I like it and will enjoy wearing it, especially in cooler fall weather. But, again, for $225-250 I expect utterly astounding. And it's far from that.

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

I make some s range blind buys - I just received in the mail a 30mL bottle of Masque L'Attesa, which fortunately is a fragrance I found to be stunning with the first spray today. It has Florentine as well as French iris and Mysore sandalwood. It also contains ylang ylang, which is hard to screw up. But it's a beautiful orris root fragrance.

1 person likes this.
  8. rach2jlc

Sounds very nice! It's chilly and cloudy here today... I need something comforting and that I know will carry me through to drydown. Hence, Shalimar.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I am out of town at a conference, and since I was running a bit late I didn't have time to pack multiple fragrances. So I've been wearing TF Orchid Soleil the last few days. I like it okay, but not nearly as much as the other Black Orchid flankers.

10. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

haha! Yeah going to the mall is kind of hilarious. I simultaneously love it and hate it ;)

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT (again)

[​IMG]

Q: I noticed the EdP is for sale again at Chanel. How different is it from the EdT?

Q2: I think I've posted my entire collection now which is only about 8 or so actual fragrances (plus a ziploc bag full of mini samples). Do you guys have a lot more than that?

11. rach2jlc

TF Patchouli Absolu today. Now this one just might be a real hit in my book. Needs more wearing, but it is a dark, strong, rich patchouli that is also quite dry... a throwback to the wonder that was the original Givenchy Gentleman.

12. Nemesis_4

Nemesis_4 Well-Known Member

excellent fragrance sir- good for the colder months imo....

Carbone de Balmain today for me. Haven't worn this in quite some time. Think I'm going to wear as my signature for a while- I had forgotten how much I loved this scent.

13. rhyme

rhyme Well-Known Member

Sotd: LDDM by A. Tauer. Fell in love with it on the first try and my very first niche purchase.

14. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I wore Coeur du Desert by Tauer. It's very similar to L'Air du Desert Marocain but without all the ambrox.

This evening I am wearing Anat Fritz Classical. Great lavender fragrance for a rainy evening.

And Parker, Chanel Pour Monsieur EdP or Concentree is quite different that the classic EdT, and I now prefer the Concentree over the current EdT because of the neutering done to the original with the current situation on the use of oak moss. The current EdT is simply flabby now.

15. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Thanks Horns. My EdT is from about 5 years ago. Not sure if that was pre- or post oak moss situation. But I'm curious to try the other versions. Will pop down to Maiden Lane soon (also for Diptyque:)

Today I wore: Helmut Lang Cuiron

[​IMG]

16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I am wearing Amouage Jubilation XXV.

17. rach2jlc

A cool, wet fall day today... so nothing better than Chanel no 22 (a vintage EdC). The incense at the base keeps the aldehydes at the top very warm and soft. I can never figure out how No22 is so rare/hard to find while no5 (created around the same time by the same nose) is so ubiquitous. I find the former so much more approachable, so much more interesting, so much more wearable than the latter...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

rach2jlc, your post makes me think of all the people in Middle America and elsewhere who have no access to fragrances like No. 22 or Bois des Iles. All they have are Platonic cave shadows.

Today I am wearing Dior Homme on this warmish Autumn day.

19. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

I just received from Dominique Dubrana what I thought were 4 samples, and in fact were 16. Including a topup of Milano Caffe. I'll just leave it at that. But you guys can expect many Dubrana reviews in the next few weeks.

Being impatient I am wearing not one but two right now.

Grezzo d'Eleganza is the cologne I've been looking for all this time. I could repeat the notes you see on Basenotes, but it would not do it justice. I am not a fan of orange blossom, so was somewhat apprehensive of the neroli; I also am over my incense love which started with Amouage, and also worried about that, ordering the sample despite myself due to its overwhelming amount of positive reviews. My fears were groundless. It is marvellously blended and honestly it is difficult to tell the notes apart. There is a marzipan feel to the thing (pine?), without the gone-off butter that I usually associate with that ground almond note. It is pleasant - indeed, I'd use the word beautiful - whilst remaining intellectual. How is this so little reviewed?

Prima Rosa, which he suggested, is a light, very delicate rose. I know, in my mind, that there must be other stuff in there, but all I can think of is the lone, light pink rose growing in my father in law's garden.

There's something to be said for the complexity of high quality natural ingredients, when they meet a genius.

I only wish I had more arms so I could try the rest faster.

10 minutes in, Grezzo has become sharper, woodier and the incense is blooming. Do I detect Dubrana's signature clove? There are many things in common with Milano Caffe's drydown.

As you know I love Sultan Pasha's attars, but they are hard to wear professionally. I think Dubrana's work is in the same vein, original, complex, something to be savoured, whilst remaining muted enough for the "enjoyment" remaining mostly personal.

20. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Well, I opened Palermo and Chilum as well.

Palermo: strangely enough, smells like green beans and perhaps a hint of edamame. The vetiver and vanilla? This is nothing like Milano Caffe.

Chilum: ginger and sandalwood is genius. I'll leave it at that for now.