1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

My GF (girlfriend) has recently become interested in fragrances. I didn't pressure her in any way; she just wanted to learn more about a part of my life that was so important to me. Anyway, she's been ordering samples and trying one or two per night, usually while we're on Facetime together. She received a Frederic Malle lot from ebay yesterday, and I suggested that she try Carnal Flower and En Passant first. When she tried Carnal Flower, her face absolutely lit up. She couldn't stop raving about it and smelling her wrists. Then maybe an hour and a half later, she tried En Passant, which she somehow loved even more. It is so much fun watching someone getting exposed to this world for the first time and appreciating the artistry behind the better perfumes.

6 people like this.
  2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

:inlove:

1 person likes this.
  3. FineMoment

FineMoment Well-Known Member

[​IMG] interesting thread

1 person likes this.
  4. FineMoment

FineMoment Well-Known Member

I like to mix these two:

Jo Malone Amber & Lavender Cologne with Jo Malone 154 Cologne.

[​IMG]

5. L'Incandescent

TF London for me today. It's one of the least talked about PBs, I think. It's oud-centric, but also full of spices like cardamom and cumin. (I get much more of the former than the latter.) At the top it definitely feels dirty, but that aspect recedes during the drydown as the sweetness starts to emerge more. There's a whole lot packed into this one; sometimes that works well, as with Diptyque's 34 Boulevard St. Germain, and sometimes it just feels like chaos. I think it works in London. As I've said many times now, I was very disappointed when I tried this for the first time, in 2013 I think. But I've come to appreciate very much since then.

1 person likes this.
  6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Same. At first sniff I thought it was nice, then wore it and was disappointed, then kept wearing it and grew to really like it

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Fathers Day in Oz this Sunday so Mrs GF and boy are getting me either Tauer Orange Star of Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain EDT

I found the Orange Star to share some similarities to the Moroccan. Both I like and both would work well in the rural, humidity free, summer.

First world problems have to Sunday night to decide.:decisions:

8. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

I'd go with Desert Morocain - I think it has a bit more depth than Orange Star

9. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

That's cute in so many ways, l'Inc.

And late to catch up but very sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

Wearing Cuir Beluga today. It's heavy on high quality vanilla for/on me. Too much so to make my fav roster.

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Some good ones today/yesterday. And L'inc, glad to see you sharing the love of fine sniffery. Then again, it's hard not to love Malle once properly introduced.

I'm going to wear a sample of Fresh Hesperides Grapefruit I received the other day; it's nice, and I love Grapefruit scents. I can't say I like it better than Pamplelune, but it's still a crowd-pleasing, user friendly grapefruit with a hint of sparkle (hence Hesperides). In general, though, I like my Grapefruits more overripe and my Hesperides with a bit more green.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Pamplelune was one of the first scents I read about from you many many years ago and I still have my bottle. Have been working through my collection and also sharing with my gf and she just went through a phase where she wore it constantly. So thanks!

1 person likes this.
  13. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

I was going to mention Pamplelune as a guerlain suitable for guys, great summer scent. Another one that comes to mine is philtre d'amour (old formula, the bottle looks like a sex toy); also great for summer, citrus with a light touch of jasmine and iris.

14. L'Incandescent

In the Guerlainophilic spirt of this thread, I am wearing Parure. It is an old fashioned mossy floral chypre in the classic style of Mitsouko. It is plummy instead of peachy and features a prominent rose note. It was released in 1975, but I think it was probably a bit dated even then. I suspect that most guys would find this too feminine to wear, but I'm happy to wear it.

2 people like this.
  15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I sampled Vert de Bois, Vert Boheme, and Vert d'Encens today at Neiman's. Vert d'Encens was the big winner in my book (and seems like the favorite of the Vert series among most online reviewers). Green, pine-y, and incense-y, it smells like the love child of Italian Cypress and Memoir Man. Definitely worth further investigation and possibly a buy at retail.

16. rach2jlc

Tom Ford Black Orchid today. I had a bottle (and loved it) when it came out ten or so years ago, but never replaced it. Had a sample and applied, and immediately remembered why I liked it.

Among newish mainstream/designer scents, it really is fascinating. It manages to be dark, rich, warm, sweet, yet compelling without being cloying. Good sillage, good longevity. It also has this sort of gourmand-like feel, without being in any way a gourmand. It definitely still holds its place in the huge glut of scents that have come out since.

1 person likes this.
  17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Tonight I am wearing Dior Homme EdT.

2 people like this.
  18. rach2jlc

Great. Like TF BO, Dior Homme was one I tried almost as soon as it came out. I had fashion pieces from Hedi's earliest seasons, and this EdT, and also the limited ones (Bois Noir, Cologne Blanche, etc.).

Great blast from the past, and a great iris scent. I haven't smelled it in years, so I have no idea if it is still the same.

19. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

It's such a good fragrance. I was late on the bandwagon but have a vintage and reformulated bottle. They're both excellent. The vintage has a definite patchouli note not unlike Le Labo's Iris 39.

20. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Good on you for supporting the Aussies. Jocelyn is in a couple of the Australian groups I'm a member of; she's a lovely lady.