1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Stopped by the Tom Ford boutique and tried out NP Forte and Mandarino di Amalfi. Not really impressed by either. Sprayed Soleil Blanc on a card. Reminded me of Creed VIW. Worth further investigation.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Yes, Soleil Blanc is definitely in the same genre as VIW. Also ELDO Fils de Dieu.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It's been so long since I tried the original Derby that it's not worth mentioning.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

HiM isn't a bad scent. Sweet and spicey. HM is really just sweet syrupy stuff and too much of it. If you're a college kid, eh, you can be forgiven, but not for someone who's been down the scent road.

5. L'Incandescent

I'm heading off to the gym now. I decided to apply some HM (which is not the same as HiM, despite the similarity in the names). As always, it reminds me of lemon Starburst candy.

6. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

7. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

[​IMG]

Guerlain Vativer Original today...

8. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

^ I have a 30ml bottle of Derby looking like the one on the left. 1987 apparently (hoping not with a fake refill...)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  9. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

On another note, going to Tokyo for a week. Could use some tips on where to buy parfums (like Yohji's, maybe limited to Japan market only scents, too, and which to "look" at).
    Same for Japanese makers glasses frames and sun glasses.

1 person likes this.
  10. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

It all seems to be in order....please feel free to chip in, maybe I was duped ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. L'Incandescent

Hanae Mori.

1 person likes this.
  12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Cheers! (That's still too advanced for me. ;) )

Was more concerned about mine.
    Yours is from V= 1988 R= Oct as per Raiders.
    PS: Is the same batch code at the bottom of the bottle? PPS: Magnified pic and seems like it. So either it's authentic or a really well made fake (j/k, highly doubtful someone would bother).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  13. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

Yep the code is the same...it smelt pretty good and three dimensional.

14. crdb

crdb Senior member

Left arm, right arm:

[​IMG]

The Equipage is sharper than my TPC vintage, which is probably more recent. The pepper is fresh and slightly overpowering to TPC's softer, more controlled, drier touch. They are superficially the same, definitely the same family, but I can't help but notice that the more recent scent is superior, even as I own a mere 1/50th as much as of the older one. It is, however, more coherent and dare I say, simpler? The older Equipage is more complex and slightly greener. Perhaps I am just used to my sample at this point. After an hour, the TPC Equipage has better projection and has held together better as well, it has a hint of animalic warmth although that is not at all what Equipage is known for! Edit - I know what it is. The older one has less tobacco. Edit 2 - they've dried down to the same thing.

The Givenchy is extremely quiet. I'm used to EDTs from this era having more power. The first thing I smell is alcohol, a rough one similar to Stolichnaya (the cheap red one anyway). The second thing I smell is sharp greenness, perhaps related to violet leaf (but without its bitterness). It dries down to, well, all I can think of is citrus - definitely more lemon than bergamot or Sevile orange - on a soapy Habit Rouge-style base with a hint of sweetness. The citrus has a synthetic edge, or perhaps it is what goes with it that suggests it, bringing it ever closer to commercial (dare I say: cleaning) scents which are all based on linalool etc. instead of actual citrus oils. It hovers dangerously between sophisticated reserve, an expensive soap, and "oh, you've just done the dishes?"

At the back of my mind is the spectre of fakes. But who would bother faking either of these for $50? Perhaps top half empty bottles with vodka? The boxes looked pretty tattered... Both will come with me to the next perfume meetup here and I'll get them authenticated by the "pros".

Flying out tomorrow to colder climes. Which to take?

15. crdb

crdb Senior member

Upon a second, and stronger application of MDG, I'd say the drydown is closer to Heure Bleue or maybe Apres l'Ondee than Habit Rouge. Subdued, slight play-do feel.

16. TJMAC

TJMAC Well-Known Member

Penhaligons Sartorial

1 person likes this.
  17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

You should visit Parfum Satori, which is a local perfumer in Tokyo who only sells her stuff in Japan. I have three of her fragrances and strongly recommend her Iris Homme.

2 people like this.
  18. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Very good, thanks! Staying in Shibuya makes this an easy trip. I suppose this not selling beyond Japan also means she is not really limited by the IFRA regulations.

19. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Aesop Tacit today; light and fresh with a stark citrusy note.

20. L'Incandescent

Today I wore the new Amouage Lilac Love. This is absolutely fantastic. It's not really lilac (although the bottle is lilac colored). The main floral notes, to me at least, are heliotrope and rose, but there's also an iris note that reminds me just a bit of the one in Bijou Romantique. But what really makes this scent work is a dry, sweet cocao note that reminds me a bit of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme. I was disappointed with Opus X, which came out at around the same time, but this one is definitely a winner.

1 person likes this.