Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - the vintage Chanel for Men, damaged topnotes and all.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Today - the vintage Chanel for Men, damaged topnotes and all.

So, you're wearing a Chypre without the "CH."

I hope you enjoy your "Ypre" today, T. [​IMG]

Anyway, I think I'll join you and wear the Eau de Frenchy Concentree.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

My wife informed me that Chanel recently changed the formula for No. 5 She was at Saks and smelled the EdP and, noticing that it was different, was told by the SA that the formula was changed. Putting aside the fact that SAs tend to know nothing, what say you? (Edit: I wonder if it was the new Eau Premiere that she tried?)

BTW, she tried Chanle Beige and wasn't sure what she thought of it.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So, you're wearing a Chypre without the "CH."

I hope you enjoy your "Ypre" today, T. [​IMG]

Anyway, I think I'll join you and wear the Eau de Frenchy Concentree.

Actually, in the early stages, the "Ypre" smells a LOT like Off Skintastic. The bug repellant. I smelled these on the same day and thought I'd lost my mind. At the moment it's a powdery, slightly musty amber.

I'd ask for my money back but since I lifted it from my brother's (Mr. Cool Water) bathroom in my folks house I don't guess I have reason to complain.

How are you liking PdN New York BTW?

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

My wife informed me that Chanel recently changed the formula for No. 5 She was at Saks and smelled the EdP and, noticing that it was different, was told by the SA that the formula was changed. Putting aside the fact that SAs tend to know nothing, what say you?

BTW, she tried Chanle Beige and wasn't sure what she thought of it.

Nearly everything in a Chanel bottle has been reformulated at some point or other, in some cases repeatedly. Same can be said of Guerlain, Caron, Piguet, Fragonard, et. al. For instance, in the 50's - Chanel No. 5 used Nitro musks which are better than today's synthetic musks...but are currently banned. Happens over and over.

Is it possible she tested the No. 5 Eau Premiere instead (it's a major stretch but possible)? If she noticed a subtle change, then yeah, I'd say it was reformulated.

6. dopey

Nearly everything in a Chanel bottle has been reformulated at some point or other, in some cases repeatedly. Same can be said of Guerlain, Caron, Piguet, Fragonard, et. al. For instance, in the 50's - Chanel No. 5 used Nitro musks which are better than today's synthetic musks...but are currently banned. Happens over and over.

Is it possible she tested the No. 5 Eau Premiere instead (it's a major stretch but possible)? If she noticed a subtle change, then yeah, I'd say it was reformulated.

As you will note, I had already changed my post when I realized the Eau Premiere possibility. She doesn't really wear No. 5, so I have no idea how "old" her memory of it is. She has a frighteningly accurate memory for all things, so even if it wasn't otherwise sound policy, I tend to not question her. But I wouldn't be surprised if she asked to try No. 5 and they handed her the Eau Premiere and said "here, it's the new formula."

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

As you will note, I had already changed my post when I realized the Eau Premiere possibility. She doesn't really wear No. 5, so I have no idea how "old" her memory of it is. She has a frighteningly accurate memory for all things, so even if it wasn't otherwise sound policy, I tend to not question her. But I wouldn't be surprised if she asked to try No. 5 and they handed her the Eau Premiere and said "here, it's the new formula."

Another thought occurred to me - formulas change between concentrations. The Chanel No. 5 parfum is the strongest and fullest expression of No.5. Generally speaking - as you dilute them down (Parfum > EdP > EdT), different aspects tend to shine - citrus, florals, musks. Some houses actually have different formulas for each strength. If she's used to the parfum and tries the EdP or EdT, then yeah, it will be different.

As for the SA's - some are better than others, but I think the better ones are used to the perfumistas and readily acknowledge that the customer's nose is frequently right.

8. rach2jlc

How are you liking PdN New York BTW?

Weirdly enough, I'm quite enjoying it. What bothered me the first go around was the middle notes, when it suddenly became weirdly powdery, but over the past year or two I've been using LOTS of older styled gentleman's "masculine" scents and so perhaps I've just acclimatized myself more to it and its ilk now than before.

It could also be the season... this one seems to be nice in the cooler weather.

In any case, I'm glad I've been trying it again, but it's definitely not a "Holy Grail."

9. tricky

tricky Senior member

For those wearing John Varvatos, how much do you spray?

I was doing 2 sprays and a few hours later, nothing. Today I did 3 sprays (chest, back of neck and wrist) and again, a few hours later nothing.

I thought it had decent longetivity?

10. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Maison Parfumeur et Garnier's Santal Noble

11. dopey

Another thought occurred to me - formulas change between concentrations. The Chanel No. 5 parfum is the strongest and fullest expression of No.5. Generally speaking - as you dilute them down (Parfum > EdP > EdT), different aspects tend to shine - citrus, florals, musks. Some houses actually have different formulas for each strength. If she's used to the parfum and tries the EdP or EdT, then yeah, it will be different.

As for the SA's - some are better than others, but I think the better ones are used to the perfumistas and readily acknowledge that the customer's nose is frequently right.

This was her explanation.

Today, Cuir de Russie (Chanel)

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - L'Instant Guerlain. I hated this in the summer but in the cooler weather it's less cloying and more likeable. Not quite FBW IMHO.

13. rach2jlc

Today - L'Instant Guerlain. I hated this in the summer but in the cooler weather it's less cloying and more likeable. Not quite FBW IMHO.
    Interesting because I'm wearing this one's older, darker, more sinister brother, L'instant EXTREME (eau de Parfum concentration). It's much deeper, darker, richer than L'instant, but still lovely. I really like them both, but each have their charms... What's not FBW for you, T, is 3 bottle worthy for me (especially as the L'instant EdP is hard to find in the US, so when I found a supply, I stocked up!)

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Interesting because I'm wearing this one's older, darker, more sinister brother, L'instant EXTREME (eau de Parfum concentration). It's much deeper, darker, richer than L'instant, but still lovely. I really like them both, but each have their charms...

What's not FBW for you, T, is 3 bottle worthy for me (especially as the L'instant EdP is hard to find in the US, so when I found a supply, I stocked up!)

Actually I've since fallen out of love with this. Not that I was in love or anything, but when L'instant went to a sandlwood drydown I thought...gee whiz. How plain. Then in shimmered out of existance around lunchtime and I was glad to have only a decant instead of a full bottle to resent. I could layer this with Yatagan perhaps.

15. rach2jlc

Actually I've since fallen out of love with this. Not that I was in love or anything, but when L'instant went to a sandlwood drydown I thought...gee whiz. How plain. Then in shimmered out of existance around lunchtime and I was glad to have only a decant instead of a full bottle to resent. I could layer this with Yatagan perhaps.

I'm still convinced your decant is faulty and you aren't getting the wonders of L'instant. I love this stuff.

Do you have any empty decant bottles? If you send me two empty decant bottles I can fill them up with L'instant and L'instant EdP (I got rid of ALL my decanting supplies just before I moved earlier in the summer).