• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Puredistance Opardu for me today. This is an absolutely magnificent floral, at minimum on a par with Amouage Fate Woman. (I pick that as a comparison because both are modern-smelling, niche, high-quality florals.) The dominant floral notes are the white florals--gardenia and tuberose--but there's also a prominent lilac. Although this is not mentioned on the notes I've seen at Fragrantica, I am certain this has musk ketone (the very same musk that's featured in PdE Musc Tonkin, as it happens). It's blended beautifully. I only wish this weren't quite so expensive.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Puredistance Opardu for me today. This is an absolutely magnificent floral, at minimum on a par with Amouage Fate Woman. (I pick that as a comparison because both are modern-smelling, niche, high-quality florals.) The dominant floral notes are the white florals--gardenia and tuberose--but there's also a prominent lilac. Although this is not mentioned on the notes I've seen at Fragrantica, I am certain this has musk ketone (the very same musk that's featured in PdE Musc Tonkin, as it happens). It's blended beautifully. I only wish this weren't quite so expensive.
Sounds awesome! Must try.
My SOTE is Profumum Fumidus. Another I expected to dislike, Fumidus turns out to be weird but likable. It's an ashtray sent--cig tobacco, ash, some wood and a nutty floral mixed in as counterpoint. At least, that's what I smell.

Edit 24 hrs later: My notes above omit reference to vetiver, which is the dominant note here after 3 or 4 hours. Smoky vetiver. And that is what it is, a la Sycomore, for another 24 hrs.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool weather here today so rocking Slumberhouse Baque.

Take a break from fragrances and gutted that I missed the limited edition slumberhouse offering :(

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Horns, Do you prefer it to the Not Concentree?

I do. I received a bottle as a senior in high school and have considered it my first love of fragrances. I have strong memories of it coming up from my chest, while in college in a classroom, when I have a panic moment and my body heated up, but the scent of this was beautiful and made it all worthwhile.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do. I received a bottle as a senior in high school and have considered it my first love of fragrances. I have strong memories of it coming up from my chest, while in college in a classroom, when I have a panic moment and my body heated up, but the scent of this was beautiful and made it all worthwhile.
Nice! I will try it. I have Chanel PM and CPM vintage, which would be in any Top 10 list I made. Look forward to trying the Concentrée.

For me today, its SL Fille en Aiguilles. I am very enthusiastic about the pine+incense accord. Am a little less so about the SL Arabie-esque fruit mix on top, but none the less enjoy the total composition.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool weather here today so rocking Slumberhouse Baque.

Take a break from fragrances and gutted that I missed the limited edition slumberhouse offering :(
Hi Osiris. I have been looking high and low for Bacque. How do you like it? What are the notes you get from it?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rose Oud is what I am wearing today.

EDIT: Sometimes I like to read reviews at Fragrantica, just to see how they match up with my experience. I should stop doing that. Either the average reviewer there has a very bad nose or else they're getting counterfeit versions of the fragrances, because what they say has hardly any relation to what I experience when I smell the fragrances. I read that this doesn't have any oud smell at all, it's just a rose soliflore, and it smells like a cheap Bed Bath and Beyond product.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: L'Occitane Vetyver for a foggy, rainy day. I have a bottle of the "vintage", because it was discontinued and then re-released, but the current one is true to the old one and is a wonderful study of vetiver without it being front-and-center like many if not most of vetiver fragrances. It's a very warm, cozy take on vetiver.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: L'Occitane Vetyver for a foggy, rainy day. I have a bottle of the "vintage", because it was discontinued and then re-released, but the current one is true to the old one and is a wonderful study of vetiver without it being front-and-center like many if not most of vetiver fragrances. It's a very warm, cozy take on vetiver.
Yes, I like it too. L'Occi Vet is not the most vetiver-y vetiver, but is a very nice mix of zingy notes on top and more rich woody notes right after/under.

HOme tonight after an unexpected absence (finally got power back at my house, after 5 days), I went right for the Profumi del Forte Versillia Vintage Ambra Mediterrenea.

Annnnddd, its yet another captivating amber. I have not yet tried an amber I disliked, so take what follows with a few grains of salt.

This one is a bit different than the other ambers I have tried and enjoyed in the last several months. From the PdF, I get a sweet amber/benzoin + a distinct petrol/leather note + orange blossom. Sound weird? It isn't weird at all, its a beautiful blend. Of course, it helps that I really like all three of the above components.

Over at BN this one is flagged as a very macho amber. Not sure about that, but it is very beautiful and different from the several other quality scents crowding the Amber Category. Terrific, really.

Have a great week all.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HOme tonight after an unexpected absence (finally got power back at my house, after 5 days), I went right for the Profumi del Forte Versillia Vintage Ambra Mediterrenea.

I really enjoy this one a lot too. One thing I wish fragrance websites were better at, though, is distinguishing amber from ambergris. For some reason, they class them all together as amber scents. Ambra Mediterranea really features ambergris. I think it's the ambergris that gives this one whatever "macho" qualities it might have. (Of course ambergris doesn't automatically read masculine--think for example of Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie where it comes off as soapy--but often the note imparts a sharpness to the scent that suggests masculinity.)

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cologne du 68 today.

Yesterday I sniffed the Nasomatto line at a local perfumer. I think I'd get the sack if I wore Black Afghano to work, so that's out. I enjoyed Duro but found it a bit full-on. The new Pardon was interesting, with a hefty bitter chocolate note in with some woods and a hint of rose to civilise it a bit. I could see myself wearing this a lot in winter but sheesh, it's $230 for 30ml. :eek:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads