1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

For my SOTE I went with the other Francis Kurkdjian masculine orange blossom: Fleur du Mâle. When I first tried this--probably five years ago--I thought it was one of the worst things I'd ever smelled. I literally thought my sample must have gone bad. Now I actually enjoy it quite a bit.

2. crdb

crdb Senior member

Gave SP AA another try this morning. Still the exact same cowpat, all the way through the 3 hours I resisted washing it off. Oh well. I'll probably donate my vial to the Singapore community or try and swap it for something.

Washed it off, then Apres l'Ondee as SOTROTD. I try, but I can't get as excited as LT and TS about this one. It's just... mild. Well executed and boring.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I'm wearing Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer.

Yesterday evening I put on some Cadavre Exquis by Bruno Fazzolari and Antonio Gardoni. It's considered a gourmand but is not sweet at all. It has a smell of overbaked flourless chocolate cake, with a smell that reminds me of something organic that is just overheated. Another image I get is a pair of leather boots that were put into a locked wooden box and left out in the blazing-hot sun and then it is opened. There's definitely a roasted coffee component as well - as if they were able to tease out a pleasant facet from the noxious smell of coffee roasting.

I think these two guys are superstars and are incredibly humble (people who are at the top of their game very often are). Antonio sent me a large assortment of his fragrances right after he composed Cologne Reloaded and Eau d'E and Bruno always takes the time to hand-write a note and reach out to people out of the blue. I wasn't a big fan of the Bogue offerings so I sent them on to someone else to try. Those two guys, though, I just wish them the best in what they do because they have the skill and passion to elevate the world of perfumery on top of being just good people.

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

They were set up at adjoining tables at the AIX scent fair, and I spent some time talking to each of them. Antonio didn't speak english very well, but he was very gracious and I thought his scents were interesting. He had a couple of white florals made with gardenia and jasmine. The interesting thing is that he uses raw materials from flowers that are harvested early, so that the note is muted and green rather that heady and sweet, as you'd typically get with those notes. It was an interesting interpretation of the style. I'm sorry to say that I didn't pick up any samples from him, or really spend a lot of time at his booth, simply because I'd never heard of Bogue. There were so many booths there, I wish I could have gone both days and spend more time.

5. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

SOTD AdP Quercia. After about 3 hours in i pick up pear, cedar and lime&sugar. Its somewhat like a mojito with xante and some cardamum and vanilla. Sillage is quite bad though..

6. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Left wrist is current formula YSL Kouros, Right wrist is an older vintage of the same. Both decent but the older one is definitely deeper and more raunchy. It also seems to meld into the skin more whereas the new one is sharper and is projecting more.

Still not sold on if I can wear this bad boy at 30 but we'll see. My gf who's come to like some of my weirder stuff like oud, musk, incense etc still thinks I smell like a public toilet and her father 20 years ago.

8. L'Incandescent

Speaking of Bogue, the first thing I thought when I woke up this morning was "I want to wear Cologne Reloaded." And so I wore it as my pre-shower scent. It's very dense and quite medicinal to my nose. And there's something in there that I interpret as meaty, sort of like the impression I get from Kölnisch Juchten.

My SOTD is The Night by Frederic Malle. There are a million rose / oud accords on the market, but this one really stands out from the pack. The rose really shines through later in the drydown, and it's one of the most beautiful rose notes I've encountered.

1 person likes this.
  9. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Another foray into Sultan Pasha, this time Tabac Grande. This is the weirdest smelling tobacco scent I have come across. The opening isn't tobacco at all for me, rather a thick slab of sticky, syrupy fruit cake. Half an hour later you realise the cake is studded with tobacco leaves. Oh, and it's served on a bed of dry, warm sawdust.

Projection is modest but it lasted around 6 hours on me. The dry down was better, with the warm, dusty tobacco lingering and with most of the sickly fruit notes having dropped off.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm layering MPG Baime with Frederic Malle Une Rose. I've had a small bottle of Baime forever, but I rarely wear it. It's supposedly a basil scent, but I feel like the basil is not as prominent as other green notes - vetiver and possible thyme? The opening notes give the impression of natural bug repellent spray, but the dry down is nicer. I decided to add some rose to soften the opening, and I think it worked out OK. I think next time I may try to layer it with Kiehl's Musk.

11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Friday I wore Eloge du Traitre. I seem to have gone off ELdO lately, not wearing them nearly as much as i used to. This one comes across a bit odd to me: pine and cloves. I'm not sure that it works, and it's just OK on me.

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I liked M7. I bought a sample and wore it for a couple of days and I liked it but it didn't make it to my favorites. Still good stuff, though.

It figures that this is one of my favorites as it's so expensive!

Just ordered a split of Cedrat Boise from there... I'll definitely check there more often.

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Profumum Fiori d'Ambra today

14. L'Incandescent

TF Velvet Gardenia. It's not at all surprising that this got discontinued as quickly as it did, as it is definitely not an easy scent. Nonetheless, I enjoy it quite a bit.

15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I am wearing Salome by Papillon.

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Playboy Hollywood today. I was sorting through my drawers and found this. I had no idea where I got it (probably some op shop) so I thought I'd wear it to the football and see what it's like. Well, it smells like Code and dries down to a very crisp, very synthetic-smelling lavender. Lasts a long time, but that's not always a good thing. I think this goes back to the op shop.

17. L'Incandescent

TF Shanghai Lily. Absolutely lovely bright, creamy, yet somewhat metallic floral.

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I put on some Tom Ford's White Suede from a sample I got years ago. The whole "White" series seems like a huge ripoff to me.

19. L'Incandescent

Some people are apparently anosmic to musk, but I think I must by hypernosmic to it because that's almost all I get from White Suede.

20. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

I tried Sultan Pasha's Nankun Kōdō last night after reading Kafka's beaming review. Unfortunately I really couldn't get into this. As soon as it hit my skin I was assaulted by something intensely salty and unpleasant. The closest analogue is pinetarsol - a briny, tarry liquid used to treat chickenpox. I quickly scrubbed it off.