1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I like Chinatown quite a lot, but I can see where you're coming from. IME, Chinatown has a heavy kind of sweetness that is both ripe peachy and buttery.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a very astute description - I hadn't found the words but peachy/butter is pretty right on. It's growing on me, I can easily see why it's such a well loved scent, but it's not a style I typically go for.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I never clicked with Chinatown personally either. Seems to be quite a bit of love for it online. I tried to like it and even wore it a few times but meh, I can't say I get it.

4. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Today I'm wearing Invasion Barbare by Parfums MDCI. Violet, lavender and vanilla dominate. It's perfectly pleasant, but isn't one for me.

5. crdb

crdb Senior member

Sounds like Beene Grey Flannel meets Caron Pour Homme, funny to call it "barbarian invasion"...

6. L'Incandescent

I remember when Invasion Barbare was the talk of the online fragrance community. I tried to get excited about it, but I just couldn't. To me, it was the cardamom that stood out most prominently. Over the years I've come to appreciate cardamom more, so maybe I should give it another try.

If I smelled this blind and was asked to give it a name, I would never think to call it Invasion Barbare. Except maybe ironically.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

SOTD was Tom Ford Italian Cypress, which has become the work default when I can't decide what to wear.

Does anyone wear scents to bed? I've read that incense is good for getting a restful sleep, and I've had good results with Tom Ford Japon Noir, but I'm wondering what works for other people.

8. sebastian mcfox

Essential oils work better for me. I find the complexity of perfumes distracting when I'm trying to sleep.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Oh yeah, I try to put on a fragrance every evening. Lavender is great for resting (I go through many Diptyque lavender candles) as well as sandalwood oil. I'll use Anat Fritz Classical because it's such a good lavender fragrance.

10. L'Incandescent

Inspired by recent posts, I went with Chinatown as my SOTE. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of this one. I also love the bottle.

I always wear scents to bed, but in my case it doesn't have anything to do with getting a better night's sleep. It's just that I have a lot of fragrances and I want the chance to smell one more before the day is finished.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Rocobar today. I fished this out from the back of my drawer, where the cool weather scents have been pushed over the last few months. Very nice woodsy scent; I'm going to scrabble around the back of the drawer a bit more and see what's lurking there.

1 person likes this.
  12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mr. Blass today. This reminds me of a couple of Guerlains - Coriolan and l'Instant PH. It also starts to resemble Derby in the dry down, so maybe there's an element of homage? I never liked l'instant - there's a note that really bothers me. Mr. Blass has a touch of that in the opening, but it goes away pretty quickly and you're left with an 80's style, full bodied spicy/woodsy/floral masculine.

13. crdb

crdb Senior member

Back to Habit Rouge vintage EDC today.

First, this "EDC" is quite something in terms of both projection and longevity. It's been almost 15 hours and it's still there and going strong.

Second, the more I wear it, the more I get to know and appreciate it. That's the beauty of Habit Rouge: its complexity is perfectly balanced and the ingredients are so thoroughly blended as to appear as a new scent, rather than two things added to each other.

This further convinces me that there is no real way to know what one thinks about a perfume before wearing it several days and getting to know it.

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Habit Rouge is definitely a complex fragrance - one of the most complex masculine so I own. It's also the most "dandified" fragrance I own.

Today I'm wearing Lonesome Rider - I don't think Andy Tauer did anything innovative with this one, but it's hard for me to not like leather fragrances, and this one has a huge amount of good old fashioned birch tar in it. It has that typical radiance that all Tauer fragrances have, which is a unique take on leather, I guess.

15. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

SOTD - Guerlain Mitsuoko
    SOTD 2 - Acca Cappa White Moss

16. L'Incandescent

I am wearing Jasmin 17 today. If Le Labo had asked my advice about the name, I would have suggested Fleur d'Oranger 17, but apparently they do not value my opinion. As the name suggests, it's a white floral fragrance with amber and vanilla to add to the sweetness. This is right near the line of being too sweet for my taste.

17. sebastian mcfox

Slumberhouse - Norne

Based on the descriptions I really wanted to like this, but it's far too minty and medicinal on my skin

18. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Pardon today. Finally went FB on this as a local seller was remaindering their stock. A discount of 15% is not huge, but it's better than nothing. This packs a punch, I could even smell it on the wrist that I didn't spray it on (presumably some residue from the bottle). Since it's an extract I sprayed less than usual, but it still stuck around all day and half the night. Nasomatto is expensive, but you could convince yourself it's worth it.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I'm wearing Derby. One spray, man, one spray and any more is too much.

20. L'Incandescent

TF Purple Patchouli. This one was discontinued very soon after being introduced, which is a shame because it's a bold, brash scent that captures the Tom Ford aesthetic perfectly. This was one of the first PBs I tried and I loved it immediately.