1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Are they noticing?

SOTD is Lomani AB Silver, ie a Creed Aventus clone. It's actually really not that bad. And like $30 or something for 100ml. It smells similar. I mean in a Cool Water GIT way, so er kinda but not even close to the same complexity and quality, but if you're like some cheap high school kid or whatever then it'll do the trick.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

They were probably too intimidated to say anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Things are getting away from me.

Lonesome Rider - check. Wife hates it, I like it. Need to wear it a bit more to decide if I really like it.

Took delivery of a bunch of vintage minis from eBay and am trying some of them. Yesterday was Otto Kern Cycle. It's a bit dicey reviewing vintage stuff because you have to expect deterioration, but there's nothing wrong with this one I got a nice bright citrus opening, got some woody drydown, and it lasted well into the night. This will certainly get another run.

Today was R, by Roberto Capucci. This didn't hang on so well but it is a nice green fragrance, with just a little citrus playing around. I think I can still smell vetiver and maybe a bit of musk. Didn't get the jasmine, tonka bean or moss that's supposed to be there. Another one that's worth another try.

4. L'Incandescent

Remarkable People. This one is growing on me. At first I didn't like it much at all. It contains big champagne and cardamom notes, and those are notes I've typically disliked. But based largely on Lyric Woman, I'm really coming around on cardamom, and it has affected my perception of other scents too.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I've worn this over the past two days and really like it. It's quite similar to Kolnisch Juchten in that both are hardcore leathers. It doesn't remind me of Lonestar Memories at all.

6. California Dreamer

I agree. Lonestar Memories, to me, is more petrol, dust and barbecue.

7. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

First post in here, been thinking that it's time to start using a cologne daily.
    Any standard starter recommendations for people who haven't really used it at all before?

For context I'm a 20 year old full-time student who dresses...idk modern I guess, if that helps.
    Really have no idea if I'd prefer something more floral, fruity or woody but maybe I can get a few suggestions each and then go downtown and see what type I prefer.

Thanks [​IMG]

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

A couple of modern, interesting brands to check out would be Commes des Garcons and Etat Libre d'Orange. You can find a variety of styles from each house - from pleasant/easy to strange/avante garde.

2 people like this.
  9. L'Incandescent

Today I wore a scent called Vol de Nuit by Guerlain.

10. L'Incandescent

@kindofyoung

I agree with Baron's recommendations. I'm a big fan of Etat Libre d'Orange, so I'm going to suggest some specific fragrances. The ones I'm recommending are somewhat unusual (so you won't smell like everyone else) but not too avant garde. Also, they should work for a wide variety of occasions (seasons, level of formality, etc.).

Jasmin et Cigarette
    Like This Tilda Swinton
    La Fin du Monde
    Eloge du Traitre

Also, you might want to check out Aventus by Creed. It's pricier than the Etat Libre scents, but it's a "young" scent and a big compliment getter. It's a huge hit in the fragrance community, but it isn't so common that you'll run into a lot of other people who are wearing it.

1 person likes this.
  11. California Dreamer

Jil Sander Man today. Aromatic cedar, good projection, lasted about 11 hours. Big plus from me.

12. TheShoeMaker

TheShoeMaker Well-Known Member

So I'll be off traveling for a while between some major cities in East Asia and will most likely want to pick up some good fragrance.
    Any ideas? Exclusive to hard to find stuff. Shops to visit etc. Also if anyone is interested in splitting I'll be decanting vials of 10-20 ml.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Aramis Rose calligraphy today.

14. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Terre d'Hermes is a good one. It is excellent in the summer.

Today is Guerlain Habit Rouge. 1 spray is more than enough for the next 24-48 hours. Powerful stuff.

In other news I finally broke down, joined basenotes, and got my first splits order in. [​IMG]

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Kindofyoung, based on the way you dress, which I see as monotone and clean modern lines more or less, I would suggest trying out the scent lines by clothing companies of a similar style. The first one that came to mind was also CdG, who have plenty to choose from. I think Byredo might also suit you nicely since they're an exercise in abstract minimalism. You might also find a winner in MMM's line there. I can picture you smelling like MMM Untitled (very sharp woody green floral), or CdG Black (sweet incense) or CDG Wonderwood (peppery burned wood), etc

And further down the list I'd say something like Dior or Chanel or Hermes's Private collections since again, they tend to be simple and elegant and a little more 'weird' than the mainstream lines. And lastly, if you can find it, Arquist could have something for you. And way down the list, just a possibility but something like L'Artisan or Diptyque which tend to do more ambient smells of places or natural scenes (respectively)

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wore that yesterday as well. :)

Today I'm wearing Jasmin et Cigarette.

17. TheShoeMaker

SOTD Fueguia 1833 - Biblioteca de Babel

18. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Guerlain Nuit d'Amour. I've never been a fan of this, mainly because I find the pink pepper to be too strong.
    SOTD: Venetian Bergamot. One of my favorite of the PBs.

19. California Dreamer

Cyber Garden today. Bergamot and vinyl. Eh? I've no idea what that means, all I know is that you can barely smell the stuff.

20. TheShoeMaker

What fragrants are you using on long haul flights? Im thinking either Dior Homme Cologne, 2013 version or Geranium Pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle, maybe I'll pickup a sample of Chanel Antaeus in the air port that I can use.