• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tobacco Oud today. This is my first time wearing it, and I'm really impressed. This, along with the recent Plum Japonais, is a return to the aesthetic of the first batch of Private Blends. The name is quite accurate: there are prominent tobacco and oud notes. It's also sweetened by some labdanum, which is present right at the top, and tonka in the base. I think a lot of you guys would be interested in this.

rossoz

Reaction score
Tobacco Oud today. This is my first time wearing it, and I'm really impressed. This, along with the recent Plum Japonais, is a return to the aesthetic of the first batch of Private Blends. The name is quite accurate: there are prominent tobacco and oud notes. It's also sweetened by some labdanum, which is present right at the top, and tonka in the base. I think a lot of you guys would be interested in this.
L,

Some time ago you recommended Armani's Acqua Di Gio for me. My GF bought me the body spray for my birthday.

I love it for evening wear. Got any similar recommendations?

Thank you

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just went to Bergdorf Goodman and smelled the whole JAR line. It's quite the presentation to sit down and smell all of them. They have a bottle of "vintage" Golconda as well as a current one that has apparently been altered an imperceptible way due to IFRA regulations. I'm wearing each on my wrists and they are beautiful - spicy carnation.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

L,

Some time ago you recommended Armani's Acqua Di Gio for me.  My GF bought me the body spray for my birthday.

I love it for evening wear.  Got any similar recommendations?

Thank you

Keeping with things that are pretty easy to find and that should have wide appeal, I'd suggest trying Bleu de Chanel and YSL L'Homme.
Two that are a little bit less easily found that I'd recommend are Malaise of the 1970s by Etat Libre d'Orange and Colonia by Acqua di Parma.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to give my colleagues at work a break today, having clubbed them with Knize Ten yesterday.

Just at the end of the work day, I applied Fougere Bengale, and cautiously.

Starts as a barbershop frag, and l like those. Good. About 10m later, WHOA! Immortelle tobacco and a funky, pissy, sweaty note have completely displaced the barbers!
That sweaty/pissy note IDs itself as cumin, and there's some curry in there too. I don't like those notes a little bit; or so I think. Slowly, they get more interesting. Is it me? or the frag?what the? I have no idea what to make of this.

At the 2.5 hr mark, the frag evolves again, heading to vanilla + oak moss territory, with the immortelle and curry in the background. Sounds bad, right? Nope. Its great.

this guy Corticchiato know his stuff!

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fougere Bengale really is a challenging scent. I bought a full tester at a sale once because the price was ridiculous. I don't mind it, but I think it would not be good for the office.

Today I went for a sample of HdP 1725. I quite like this, but I think it was a bit lacking in complexity; I mostly got vanilla from it.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fougere Bengale really is a challenging scent. I bought a full tester at a sale once because the price was ridiculous. I don't mind it, but I think it would not be good for the office.
You are right about that! I doubt I would buy it, interesting though it is.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keeping with things that are pretty easy to find and that should have wide appeal, I'd suggest trying Bleu de Chanel and YSL L'Homme.

I've tried both and they're decent. I'm currently trying samples of creed Bois du Portugal, SMW and Aventus.

rossoz

Reaction score
Two that are a little bit less easily found that I'd recommend are Malaise of the 1970s by Etat Libre d'Orange and Colonia by Acqua di Parma.
L,

Just picked up Bleu de Chanel at Nordstrom.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good? I just missed buying a bottle of that on eBay today because I forgot to put a snipe in...

It has a lot of fans but I found it too heavy and sweet. It's a big, sweet powdery rose with a strong undercurrent of oud, very much in the house style. If you're familiar with the other montales in the oud line and like them, you'll probably like this one too. The only one among those I really love is the Oudh Cuir Arabie.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fleur d'Oranger this morning
This afternoon, I'm switching to Thundra

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads