1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Today I am wearing Tauerville Rose Flash.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still wearing Lonesome Rider, trying to decide if I want to get a bottle at the reduced price. I'm starting to back off the comparison to knize ten - this isn't as warm at it doesn't last as long. The other difference is that knize really goes from floral leather to warm sandalwood, while LR's leather note persists throughout the development. I wish the floral notes were a little more prominent. I'm starting to think I'd rather buy a bottle of Knize - I've been out for months, and it's really one of my very favorites.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Fou d'Absinthe. Nice greeny-woody opening, but it didn't really impose itself on my awareness during the day. Lasts OK.

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme today. Another fav of mine and many here.

2 people like this.
  5. L'Incandescent

The Afternoon of a Faun is the name of my SOTD today. I don't think it's a favorite of many here, but it's a favorite of mine and that's what counts I guess.

6. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain

1 person likes this.
  7. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Dior Homme. It's been quite a while since I've worn this. It is a true classic whose virtues cannot be gainsaid.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

Guerlain Vetiver 1986

9. California Dreamer

Idole EDT today. This would be one of the first niche fragrances I went FB on. It's still got everything I liked about it years ago, as well as having one of the most stunning bottle designs around. Love this one.

10. L'Incandescent

I wore MPG George Sand today. One of my favorite patchouli scents.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I wore Geranium Pour Monsieur.

12. L'Incandescent

I am wearing Dree van Newton or whatever it's called. I do enjoy this one quite a bit. I should wear it more than I do.

1 person likes this.
  13. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Got pointed to this thread from another part of the forum. Seems like a lot of you guys really know what you're talking about, hah.

Can you guys recommend me a cologne that has notes of leather, wood, smoke, tobacco, patchouli... something along those lines.

Also, a reliable trustworthy website from which I can order samples of the recs? Thanks1

14. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Samples - Surrender to chance (I havent personally used) ; The Perfumed court

Tom Ford does a great job with those first few notes you have there. Tobacco Oud; Oud oud; Tuscan Leather

15. California Dreamer

Mandragore Pourpre today. This was a blind buy, but at $10 for a FB I figured why not? It's a bit of a two-faced perfume this; it opens soft and spicy, but goes sweet on my later on, which I think is the heliotrope in the base notes. Not too bad at all, although I'd never pay full price for it.

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

The first thing that popped into my mind was Guerlain's Derby - it has just about everything you are asking for, but not so much the smoke.
    I also highly, highly recommend you try Amouage's Memoir Man, it also has just about everything you are looking for, and this one, to me, is a classic just like Derby. Both of them are stunning fragrances, and I am not using hyperbole. Memoir is more recent, while Derby is a creation from the 1980s, so you might have an aversion to Derby at first because you make an association with the "powerhouse" masculines of that decade. But give it time because it is truly an ageless fragrance.

There's others I can recommend, but I think you should start there.

For samples, I've used Surrender to Chance quite often over the past two years and also recommend Luckyscent. I think Surrender to Chance is the better way to go because you can get a variety of sizes while choosing a sprayer as well. I really dislike those samples with the little plastic stick to apply with.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. L'Incandescent

I wore True Lust Rayon Violet de Ses Yeux today. It is not a fragrance that Markl will want to try.

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

First scent that comes to mind is Le Labo Patchouli 24. It is reportedly the scent of choice of actor Ryan Reynolds. If you're used to department-store fragrances, you might find this scent weird, off-putting, even gross. Give it a few wears and some time.

For samples, my go-to store is Surrender To Chance. Best service by far of the online samples sellers I have used. They have occasional sales throughout the year.

19. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I forgot about Memoir Man. That is a nice scent.

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I really like Patchouli 24, but it in no way is a patchouli fragrance (Le Labo's Iris 39 has more patchouli in it than Patchouli 24!). Of course, what am I saying, it is a patchouli fragrance that is so well made that its facets are connected with other ingredients to a degree where you cannot discern its silhouette. It is, to me, a leather fragrance. And their Cuir 28 is first and foremost a vetiver one, but that's what Le Labo is notorious for - unlike wines, where I have the opinion that, say, a merlot that tastes like a pinot noir, regardless of how good it tastes, is not a good merlot, Le Labo's offerings are excellent if you don't get hung up on their nomenclature.