1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

SOTD L'Artisan L'eau de Navagateur. Meh, smells like bug spray. Not a fan. And I generally like this house too.

2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I have a FB of that one, bought at a garage sale. You somehow don't make me want to rush out and try it.

3. Master-Classter

I was a little surprised to be honest. I usually at least like most of the scents from L'Artisan and love many but this was a total miss for me. Made me a bit nauseous actually. Well give it a try I guess and let me know how it goes :)

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I wore Pierre Balmain Ebene - this a fougere in the same vein as Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but man, even though it was created in the early 80s it is such a masterfully-blended fragrance with a lot of things going on. The main thing, I guess, is the evergreen component to it, which I find difficult to pull off for me to appreciate.

5. California Dreamer

Today I wore Racine, one that M-C is a fan on, I believe. This one has quite an unusual opening, a sort of bitter citrus, which I quite like. It's a light citrusy vetiver, with a mossy drydown.

1 person likes this.
  6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Diorling for me today. Another classic in the line of badly named, gorgeous Dior scents (Diorama, Dioressence, Diorella, Diorissimo, Dior Dior). This one is not by Roudnitska, but is a nice leather chypre that sits well beside the smutty Miss Dior (the original one, not the Nat Portman abomination).

Happy that many are trying these new niche scents, but don't forget the oldies. To do so would be like reading Jonathan Franzen before dipping into Tolstoy. I've said it ad nauseum, but the short list would be: Diorella, Jicky, Chamade, Shalimar, Miss Dior (original), Chanel n19 and n22, and just for cheap shits-n-giggles Giorgio for Men.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

What do you know about the current incarnation of Diorella? Is it still good, or is it necessary to seek out a vintage bottle?

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I've been in Atlanta the last few days for bidness and I didn't have time to post any SOTD of the days. But today I am back in action with Rose Flash, a chewy, resinous rose.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tonight, I'm wearing vintage Herrera for Men - one of the best designer scent that, to me of course, has ever been made.

10. California Dreamer

Reflection Man today. This is pretty good for a spring day, and lasts well, but I cannot justify its outrageous price under any circumstances.

@rach2jlc, on the subject of old Diors, you might be interested in something I found in an antique shop. Never opened.

[​IMG]

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great find! You should open it and wear it (as, sadly, it's not particularly rare or ultra-valuable). :) BUT still too nice to sit in the box. I had one of those stopper-top EdTs back a few years ago. Nice stuff, and good longevity for an EdT.

Costume National SCENT for me today; I forgot I had this one. Always like it. All the versions (intense, sheer, etc.) are nice, but the original has a lovely amber/floral accord that is quite charming. Totally Unisex (though INTENSE is the most masculine).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  12. Kempy

Kempy Member

SOTD is Tom Ford Plum Japonais sample from MasterClasser. I like it a lot, have heard lots of comparisons to Bond no. 9 Andy Warhol which is now discontinued. I may need to add this to the collection.

13. L'Incandescent

IMO Plum Japonais is only superficially similar to Andy Warhol. Plum Japonais is much, much better.

My SOTD is another scent from the Atelier d'Orient series: Shanghai Lily.

14. Kempy

Kempy Member

Ahh thank you for that confirmation as i would have likely tried to hunt down a sample of Andy Warhol so I could get my nose on it but it being that inferior I can leave it.

This does not surprise me by the way as I find Bond no. 9 to be one of the more disappointing and "over-hyped" houses of the fragrances I have smelled (disclaimer: I have not smelled Bleecker St or New Haarlem yet). Maybe it's just that they put out so many fragrances that I feel are mediocre the signal-to-noise ratio seems abnormally high.

15. L'Incandescent

There's very little from Bond No. 9 that I enjoy. New Haarlem is really fantastic, but it's been reformulated and I haven't tried the new one. Chinatown and New York Amber are also excellent. I'm not a fan of Bleecker Street at all, tbh.

16. Master-Classter

I rather like both the Andy Warhol and Plum Japonais but find them only similar on the surface. From memory I find the PJ much more fruity, sweet, sour, with some spices and syrup and a suedy soft leather drydown, whereas my recollection of the AW is much more about sweet fruit like berries and sort of incense and stuff, closer to Jubilation XXV I think.

about Reflection Man, Amouages have really started hitting this discount stream hard. I think you can get most of these ones now for like $120-130 USD whereas retail is $300+... not sure how many of these guys deliver to Auz but look around at the usual guys (strawberrynet, fragrancenet, etc).

17. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Rubj eau de parfum by Vero Profumo. I think this perfume might be a crime in certain jurisdictions. It is hell of cuminy, but there's also a funky, tangy passionfruit and a really sharp bergamot. The main body of the scent is white floral.

18. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Rubj was a little tough for me. I liked onda more. Both are pretty potent.

19. L'Incandescent

My favorite from the Vero line is definitely Rozy. I know them all in the edp concentrations, but not the others.

20. Master-Classter

I keep hearing good things about Vera. Gotta find somewhere to try them!

Also, I've only sampled 2/4 but have been rather impressed with Masque Milano. I thought (small sample) Terralba was quite nice and have really enjoyed my decant of Russian Tea and hear good things about their Tobacco one. You guys tried any?