1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

After my uncrating, I think I have found some winners.
    All 3 Amouage(s) are great. I can see myself getting all three (memoir man, interlude man, xxv jubilation) First whiffs of Memoir Man remind me of walking through a forest on a damp night
    Serge Lutens bois et fruits - I got this on a whim and like it so far
    YSL - M7 I like, Rive gauche is a maybe...
    Hermes - Terre de Hermes, this is kinda what I was hoping for in the Creed Frags. I also got un jardin en mediterranee which I am liking
    Guerlain - Jicky hmm, not sure about this one. First whiffs are giving me coal/tar

Kind of random thoughts but I like to put them down to see how I might change.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

SOTE is Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Costa Azzura today. This one struggled to make itself known in the cold weather and I’ll have to give it another shot. Noir de Noir this evening, which is pure unadulterated bliss. A filthy black rose duking it out with some serious oud to decide which note is going to get noticed most.

4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Yes, I bought the non-Extreme masculine, and it's too sweet and flabby to me.

Regarding the Eau de Magnolia, I wish I liked it because magnolia is one of my favorite flowers, but there are very few perfumes out there that capture the fresh crispness that is inherent to magnolia.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

You know what is an absolutely amazing fragrance? Chanel's Bois des Iles. Just wonderful. A masterpiece. It is heavy on the sandalwood, which is great because I love sandalwood, but it is equally heavy on creamy, high-quality orris. In fact, one could call an iris/orris fragrance before they call it a sandalwood.

The reason why I bring this up is that I wore Bois des Iles last night and it never really clicked that orris was such a dominant note until last night - this is testimony to how well-blended it is. But today I wore Iris Silver Mist and even now I am amazed by the similarities between the two. I've always loved Bois des Iles and know that it is objectively beautiful, but when something like this happens, when you discover a completely new facet that makes you fall in love with it again all over again, that is what makes a fragrance a masterpiece and a benchmark to which all other fragrances should be compared.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. L'Incandescent

It is hard to overstate how good Bois des Iles is.

I am wearing Amouage Lyric Woman today. It's an amazingly good spicy rose, although on some days the cardamom does not agree with me. I'm enjoying it today, though.

1 person likes this.
  7. jcman311

Sotd is Amouage Interlude men. Wow, powerful and right up my alley. Sweet, incensy, amber, all good things. Great longevity. If anything the incense might be a little too heavy, but everything else is so nice I dont mind.

8. California Dreamer

Mandarino di Amalfi today; this is the last of the samples I got from M-C.

OK folks, explain. The notes to this don’t have mandarin! Its citrus is grapefruit and lemon. WTF? Anyway, I really liked the citrus in this but it simply didn’t go the distance. I suppose these types of fragrances are not meant to last that long.

So the upshot of all this testing? I won’t list the ones I didn’t like but here’s the rest:

Definitely Liked:

• Italian Cypress
    • Plum Japonais
    • London

Jury’s Out

• Tobacco Oud
    • Arabian Wood
    • Patchouli Absolu
    • Neroli Portofino

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

In my opinion, and it's only that :)
    - I think Plum and Tobacco Oud are amongst the best new releases from the house.
    - I'd also say give Costa another few tries, it may grow on you.
    - Sounds like the Cafe Rose, Noir de Noir, and London were amongst the winners?
    - And Cypress, if I could only own one from this line, this might be it!

10. jcman311

I love costa azzura, but it has no projection or longevity for me.

11. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

SOTD is Humus by mad et len. Mysterious, earthy, but crisp. Smells like damp pine undergrowth getting brightened up with the first spring flower blooms.
    I really want to explore more of Mad Et Len, any one try their other stuff?

[​IMG]

12. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

wtf dbl post

13. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

14. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Tom Ford Noir. I say this every time I wear this, but this is one of the few full bottle purchases I regret.
    SOTD: Rive Gauche (the feminine version).

15. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

Pre-shower scent?

16. jcman311

He sleeps with his bottles. When he awakes, he grabs one and sprays... ;)

17. California Dreamer

As you know, I’ve already bought Noir de Noir and Cafe Rose, so no issues there. :) London I’m almost out of; you’ll be hearing from me soon.

I don’t think Costa and the other summery scents are getting a fair shake at this cold time of year, so I’m going to re-assess them in the spring.

Today’s scent was Piper Negrum. I was so flat-out today I barely noticed that I had it on, but it is one that I really like.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Never heard of that brand. That's nice packaging, though.

Today, I'm wearing Lampblack by Bruno Fazzolari.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  19. sjmin209

sjmin209 Well-Known Member

Where did you get yours? I've been looking for A USA source, but have yet to find one.

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Wearing Tobacco Vanille for the unexpectedly cold and rainy day.

Not sure how to feel about Italian Cypress. My first thought upon smelling it was "Wow, this is a great work/all around scent." My second thought was "That smells a whole lot like old-school Polo." Can someone with a little more knowledge explain the difference between the two?