1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Has anyone had the chance to try the new Frederic Malle fragrance? I know Barneys got it but I am curious if anyone has had any chance to smell it.

2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Cologne Indelebile? No, I haven't, and I've read mixed reviews on it. It's really hard to be excited about another eau de cologne when I have a humungous bottle of Chanel's. However, I love Dominique Ropion and will try it once I am back at Barneys.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

SOTE is Safran Troublant. It's a pleasant, sweet and warm spicy scent. Of course there's saffron, but also vanilla and some sandalwood. Probably better for fall and winter.

Also, I recently ordered a bunch of samples from STC, including Le Jardin de Monsieur Li and Vanilla Flash, which I was very keen to try. USPS says the package was delivered on Saturday, but I do not have it. I'm starting to give up hope. The most likely hypothesis, I think, is that someone in my condo building is enjoying fragrances they know perfectly well are not theirs. (My hope is that the package is in the mailbox of someone who hasn't checked his mail recently. But I'm not confident.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Ha, I was just sniffing my bottle of Saffron Troublant today! I was wearing and evaluating my bottle of Givenchy Pi which has that warm powdery drydown and decided ST is the better scent. What a coincidence.

1 person likes this.
  5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That sucks about your recent samples, L'Inc, - I know you were looking forward to them.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

So today, for purposes of comparison, I wore LIDGE. This is very much L’Instant’s grown-up brother, with a deeper and richer scent and more stamina. Projection is not huge, which I don’t mind for an office scent, but it still smells great on my wrist 12 hours after application. I’d probably reach for this one ahead of L’Instant usually.

7. L'Incandescent

Lyric Woman today. This is a warm spicy scent with rose. I think I pick up ylang too. I did not like this a lot at first, owing largely to the prominent cardamom note. But I'm enjoying it quite a lot today.

1 person likes this.
  8. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I busted out Habit Rouge. I'm sorry, but it's a masterpiece.

1 person likes this.
  9. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Philoyskos for a sunny day in Berlin.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

jog and preshower scent is Prada Amber. Leaves me smelling fresh and clean, while I err... get sweaty

11. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

SOTD Clive Christian V

12. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

+1

+1

Opium pour homme today. One little squirt before I ran out the door this am.

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Parfum d’Habit today. I blind-bought a bottle of this on eBay. It’s a bit of an odd duck. To me it has a very sharp, bitter opening followed by an earthy patchouli and woods. I don’t really get the leather in this, more of a vanilla and suede dry down. it has really good projection and lasts 12+ hours. Happy with this one. This is my 3rd MP&G bottle, after Racine and Centaur, and they’ve all been good.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Creed Green Irish Tweed. I know some people dislike this scent because of its ubiquity, but it really is the navy blazer of fragrances: Wearable any time and all the time.

15. Shinystuffbuyer

Shinystuffbuyer Well-Known Member

Habit Rouge by Guerlain today

1 person likes this.
  16. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I'm wearing one I haven't in a long time: Colonia Assoluta - a classic eau de cologne with a chypre structure.

1 person likes this.
  17. L'Incandescent

Tilda Swinton Like This. I'm just gonna come out and say it: I think this is a modern classic. Earlier today I checked out the reviews on fragrantica and luckyscent just to see what others were saying, and I was surprised at how negative they were. What they were describing hardly corresponded to my experience at all.

I suspect that what might turn people off is the immortelle. But that's a note I like a lot.

18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Hey thur, Laynkudessun, have you tried Vanilla Flash yet?

I also really appreciate Like This, but I don't know how many immortelle fragrances my wardrobe needs.

19. L'Incandescent

I tried it just before I went to bed last night, so my thoughts aren't fully formed. I definitely get the Carmex reference. I probably wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned it, but it's definitely there. The vanilla is a very boozy kind, which I like. And it's definitely got the Tauer aesthetic: it's very dense, with the familiar Tauerade. It's odd that they released it in the late spring, as it seems like it would obviously be best for fall/winter.

20. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Good point about their release time.