• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

wetshaver

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Has anyone already tried the latest export release from Serge Lutens (Serge Noire)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday: SCS Bay Rum with a Twist. After shower, Guerlain Vetiver. After second shower, SCS Bay Rum again. (Installed new floor - halfway done)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
...had too much fun at OKtoberfest downtown yesterday (yeah, I know... it's not October yet... go figure). As such, the idea of spraying smelly stuff on me today is not in the cards. Why do we do this to ourselves? Alcohol is bad... bad... bad. (haha)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taktikz
Versace's The Dreamer MontBlanc - Presence Cool Guess Man
"Dreamer," IMHO, is one of the most interesting mainstream/designer scents out there, along with Cuiron, M7, Prada Amber PH, and Gucci PH (the Tom Ford one). I'm not saying I just adore them all, but where most design houses put out the same "fresh/boring" lukewarm stuff just to make quick sales, those have some backbone and are actually very good "Scents."
Originally Posted by dopey
there's definitely a poopy note. That is spot on.
Ah yes, the wonderful fecal or "baby ****" note, loved and hated in equal measure but responsible for some of the niftiest stinkers in all of history... Jicky, Bois de Santal, the old Cuir de Russie, too. A lot of people get the poop-note from civet-heavy scents (of which the above all have in abundance), but it seems that civet smells as many different ways as there are people sniffing it... For example, Rose Poivree has civet, but I don't get "baby ****." Jicky, though, is like lavender and baby diapers, to my nose.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guerlain Homme today!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Guerlain Homme today!
Is this the new one? IF so, I haven't tried it yet... give us a review... (I LOVE L'instant, so I have high hopes for this one as well)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
. . .
Ah yes, the wonderful fecal or "baby ****" note, loved and hated in equal measure but responsible for some of the niftiest stinkers in all of history... Jicky, Bois de Santal, the old Cuir de Russie, too.

A lot of people get the poop-note from civet-heavy scents (of which the above all have in abundance), but it seems that civet smells as many different ways as there are people sniffing it...

For example, Rose Poivree has civet, but I don't get "baby ****." Jicky, though, is like lavender and baby diapers, to my nose.

Another good analysis of **** smells. You are right that the note in Dzing! is nothing like that in Rose Poivree. The latter is civet, which smells of ass. The note in Dzing! is a sweet poopy note that is very different.

Once again, you have also mentioned a few of the scents that are my interest list - namely Jicky and Cuir de Russie. I have tried both as samples in stores and was unimpressed, but I realize that I take a long time to discern what is interesting in a scent and usually need four or five real wearings before its complexities come through. Since Chanel sells Cuir de Russie in only the extra large size and the sales staff at both Bergdorf and Saks are annoying, I will likely get to neither any time soon.

totally epic

Reaction score
I sampled L'Artisan Parfumeur's Tea for Two yesterday, and instantly fell in love. Got the 100ml, and it'll be my primary fall scent.

The mid notes (I get tobacco and Earl Grey tea) and base notes (honey and vanilla) totally do it for me.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I wore SCS Lavendula Oakmoss this afternoon and currently wear Caldey Island Lavender. It's interesting for a soliflore. There's a bit of raunch that kicks in after 30 minutes or so, which makes it the polar opposite to the SCS from earlier today. Ah well.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
CIMG3532.jpg
Andree Putman Preparation Parfumee today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Since Chanel sells Cuir de Russie in only the extra large size and the sales staff at both Bergdorf and Saks are annoying, I will likely get to neither any time soon.
I've been able to get the EdT in a 100ml size; check the Chanel website as sometimes you can order it directly from them. I got that, Bois des Iles, and Gardenia in the 100ml sizes for around $87 a bottle (but, the last time I ordered was 2-3 years ago). Nevertheless, for full effect, you ought to get the CdR Parfum; it's expensive ($160 or so) and is obviously a smaller size, but it's really quite extraordinary. The actual standout, IMO, on the list I made is Creed's Bois de Santal. It's REALLY hard to find and, AFAIK, only comes in the "Private" collection, but it really is the best, ******-smelling sandalwood I've found. I miss my bottle terribly and haven't been able to find another... I agree with skipping Bergdorfs or Saks... I'd purchase a lot more fragrance from them if they would teach their SAs not to act like hyper teenagers and treat their customers like complete idiots. I want somebody who knows their stuff or will just leave me alone... they aren't going to sell me a bottle of $230 Creed by telling me, "You know, Jay-Z wears this!!!" Anyway, Anthousa Citrus Sorbet for me today... a very dry, tart citrus that, as I told Dopey, is like Eau Savage without the foul note.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads