• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have been in a Dior Collection Privee mood lately, so I have switched into Granville for the evening. Now I feel like a man of elegant bearing and demeanor.

Great summer fragrance, no?

It's so strange how ones that I initially reject are the ones that captivate me long-term. I guess it's really no surprise, though, considering that's how many things, from people becoming friends to drinks like gin and tonics, have to "grow" on you.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two pre-shower scents today: Paprika Brasil and Tom Ford Noir. These are two scents that I think I should like, but I really don't. (But as HORNS mentioned upthread, sometimes scents grow on you.) I think I"m ready to conclude that I just don't like the Hermessence line in general. The TF Noir is okay, but it's just not for me.

Speaking of Tom Ford, it looks like they might be discontinuing the Jardin Noir series (Lys Fume, Cafe Rose, Jonquille de Nuit, Ombre de Hyacinth) because they've sold so poorly. I'm a very big fan of Cafe Rose, and Lys Fume is pretty good too. Other than the Atelier d'Orient scents that will be coming out soon from the PB, it looks like they're also going to release Tobacco Oud and Oud Fleur in November. I'm definitely looking forward to trying both of those.

To conclude this long post, I will inform you all that I am wearing Dior Eau Noire today for my SOTD.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tell me. I've been eyeing that one for a while. How well did they execute the oolong notes?

I honestly don't smell much tea in there. It's a pretty light scent. Citrus, vetiver, a little bit of dry woody smoke. I probably wouldn't have thought it was a tea scent if it didn't have it in the name. YMMV. I applied it pretty light though, maybe it would have come out with a heavier application. I like it though! That 11 samples for $15 deal through their web site is really great! My wife wore Rose Anonyme last night.

Fred, I see you just joined Basenots. Enjoy!

LOL! I'd been lurking for a while. Figured I might as well join in!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Sample of Malle's Noir Epices, which has some hella longevity.

Edit: It also has this remarkable dry-down very similar to the mid and base notes of Mitsouko. I looked up to see if there is any oak moss in the notes, per Frangrantica, but it's not listed - not that that's the final word.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today: Sample of Malle's Noir Epices, which has some hella longevity.

Edit: It also has this remarkable dry-down very similar to the mid and base notes of Mitsouko. I looked up to see if there is any oak moss in the notes, per Frangrantica, but it's not listed - not that that's the final word.

Took some time but I guess we've finally found something good about Noir Epices. IIRC, none of us were really impressed with the fragrance so far.

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't smell much tea in there. It's a pretty light scent. Citrus, vetiver, a little bit of dry woody smoke. I probably wouldn't have thought it was a tea scent if it didn't have it in the name. YMMV. I applied it pretty light though, maybe it would have come out with a heavier application. I like it though! That 11 samples for $15 deal through their web site is really great! My wife wore Rose Anonyme last night.
LOL! I'd been lurking for a while. Figured I might as well join in!
So did you guys like the Rose Anonyme?

Would be interested to compare notes between Rose Anonyme and the following rose oud combos:

1. Oud Ispahan by Dior
2. Silk Oud by MFK
3. Marwah by Al Haramain

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My SOTE was Bois Marocain.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So did you guys like the Rose Anonyme?

My wife liked it. It was subtle and not overpowering. Very different from Portrait of a Lady which is one of the only other rose scents I can compare it to. My wife wore Portrait last night and with one spritz it pretty much annihilates any other scent in the room. Portrait is just massive! There's no way she could wear that to work. I tried to counter it with Muscs Koublai Khan, but that one is a scrubber for me. Not a fan of the whole barnyard animal thing. Washed it off and went with Santal 33. I definitely got the sawdust vibe but there was something green in there too. I honestly need to wear it again when Portrait is not in the room since it overpowers everything else, at least to my my nose.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am wearing Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri today. This is a very sweet, almondy, powdery scent. Today is gray and rainy in St. Louis, and Loukhoum is a perfect comfort scent for days like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads