• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got some samples yesterday and put on a heavy dose of French Lover, which is the same as Bois d'Orage, and found it to be a very good vetiver fragrance with the vetiver to be dry, non-dirty, and its edges rounded out with other scents that I'm not sure of. I could see this being someone's "signature scent".

This morning I tried on another Frederic Malle sample: L'Eau d'Hiver, which is a lovely feminine "purple" fragrance - lots of iris and what I now know as heliotrope with the slightest bit of menthol (and I mean slightest) to make it not cloying.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's a lot of good stuff in your most recent order!

Thanks! The Divine you recommended for my wife was really nice so I thought I'd try a few too. Santal 33 sounds pretty interesting so I'm looking forward to that one. I really liked Ormonde Man so that's why we're trying the other Ormondes and anything named Fat Electrician seems worth trying on name alone (plus I was looking for other vetivers).

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's very niche. Not judging you, of course. Just not my cup of tea. What's his name?

Hey look, it's b1os! I thought you had forsaken us.

I am wearing Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes today, of which makes me smell so pretty.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with Atelier Cologne, but when you can get samples of all 11 of their fragrances for $15 I figured why not?
http://www.ateliercologne.com/store/sample-products.html?SID=17t8152b225ha5ta3b97983vq0
Anyone know much about them? (L'Incandescent?) A bunch of them sound interesting including Vetiver Fatal and Oolong Infini.
These are pretty good. Orange Sanguine is IMO the best rendition of the orange scent. Trefle Pur gives you the smell of grass in spring. Vanille Insensee is comforting vanilla. Grand Neroli and Bois Blond are also pretty good. The most intriguing is Rose Anonyme, but I have not tried that yet.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not really familiar with Atelier Cologne, but when you can get samples of all 11 of their fragrances for $15 I figured why not?
http://www.ateliercologne.com/store/sample-products.html?SID=17t8152b225ha5ta3b97983vq0
Anyone know much about them? (L'Incandescent?) A bunch of them sound interesting including Vetiver Fatal and Oolong Infini.

I have the Vetiver Fatal and I really like it. Its very soft IMO but longevity is nice and its not over powering.

pazzion

Reaction score
Frederic Malle - Dans tes Bras for me today. Though there seems to something off-putting about this scent today. Usually I find it mesmerizing, but today there's something that makes it tingle rather unpleasantly in my nose. I got the same feeling from the drydown from Guerlain - Vetiver and Lorenzo Villoresi - Teint de Nege. It's a lily-like, really tangy smell that reminds me of a very concentrated form of bar soap. Have anyone else noticed anything similar or perhaps know what note it is that I'm smelling?

It's a real letdown as well, because I absolutely loved Dans tes Bras before, but today it does nothing but making my nose hurt a little...

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are pretty good.  Orange Sanguine is IMO the best rendition of the orange scent. Trefle Pur gives you the smell of grass in spring. Vanille Insensee is comforting vanilla. Grand Neroli and Bois Blond are also pretty good. The most intriguing is Rose Anonyme, but I have not tried that yet. 

I have the Vetiver Fatal and I really like it. Its very soft IMO but longevity is nice and its not over powering.

I'm intrigued. They don't seem to get a ton of love online but for $15 I figured they'd be worth a shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads