1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guerlain Vetiver today, from a vintage EdC splash bottle.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I wore Satori Iris Homme.
    This evening I'm wearing L'Artisan Coeur de Vetiver Sacre - to me one of the best offerings by this house.

3. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

Today I sampled Maison Francis Kurkdjian Acqua Universalis. A perfectly inoffensive stereotypical EdC type scent, maybe a little more floral and musky . It's certainly pleasant enough but the longevity isn't great.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Russian Tea today, which must be good luck as my team opened the football season with a win. Sadly, my wife hates this stuff, and it makes her sneeze. :(

5. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I've been putting this post off because I haven't had the chance to work my way through all of them, but I'd like to give a shoutout to @master-classter for sending me a whack of Tom Ford Signature samples after purchasing a Tobacco Vanille from him last month. I don't have a lot of experience with scents; having only worn Tom Ford for Men and some Varvatos Artisnal that was a gift from my wife. His generosity has inspired me to start sampling more stuff out there.

I'm generally ignorant of this world, working in a place that generally disallows colognes. Tobacco Vin is good, albeit for fall or winter, Neroli Portofino is also nice, but it's really strong. I'd like it as a car freshener..... odd thing to suggest.

Tuscan Leather is nice, as well. Very masculine, although I'm reading on here that some find it boozy and that there are better leather scents out there.

Can someone recommend something fresh for summer? Citric, yet masculine?

6. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Monsieur Balmain. I know a few people here wear it and I just wore it for the first time this week. Very nice lemon open going into a mossy citrus scent. Some people claim lemon cleaner but that may be the newer version. You have to get the older, frosted cylinderical bottle. I just bought one off of amazon for $37 with shipping.
    Unfortunately it looks like theyve all raised prices for summer. Heres the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C219GK

7. Baron

Terre d'Hermes is a crowd pleaser in this category. I also like to recommend Cartier Declaration - not necessarily 'fresh' but it's citric and it has interesting wood and spice elements.

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Just got in my decant yesterday and looking forward to finally wearing this one too after hearing to much about it!

My pleasure! Enjoy!

For fresh summery stuff that's masculine, phew so many choices... Actually +1 to Hermes in general, they seem to do that pretty well.

SOTD is CdG Avignon - finally pulled the trigger and bought a bottle and got it yesterday. Very happily wearing it today. This was one of the first scents that really made me go 'wow' and all these years later I'm so happy to finally own a bottle.

1 person likes this.
  9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I would recommend Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès.

Pre-shower: Divine by Divine. It's an old-school peachy white floral (gardenia and tuberose).
    SOTD: True Lust Rayon Violet de Ses Yeux. It is exactly what they say it is: a blend of Putain des Palaces and Dangerous Complicity. I actually enjoy this more than I enjoy either of the component fragrances.

10. California Dreamer

Costume National Homme. Another cooler weather favourite getting some air time again. For Easter I had in mind something a bit more gourmand or boozy, and almost went with 1697, but settled on this one as a nice blend of spices, word and citrus suited to a coolish yet sunny day.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I went with Bois Marocain - I'm so happy that jcman311 pointed out to me the bottles on Amazon. I just can't believe that this was discontinued because of poor sales because it is one of the better wood/incense/evergreen fragrances out there, in my opinion.

12. Master-Classter

I was just in Milan last weekend and saw a bottle of Bois Morocain at a TF counter there and was like errrr what? how is this still here? :embar:

13. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I got my bottle last thursday. :)
    The longevity is amazing. I wish Costa Azzura had the same longevity because I like it but it just doesnt last for me

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Chanel Misia for me today. I've tried this a few times now, but I'm still not liking it any more than I did the first time. It's an old-fashioned makeup scent with lots of violet. I'm not a big fan of violet, so my odds of liking this one were poor. But I read some extremely positive reviews.

15. California Dreamer

Lubin Idole EDT. This is just your perfect autumn/winter warmer; all rum, leather spice and wood. On top of that, the bottle design is just fantastic. So of course Lubin discontinued it.

16. Baron

Really? Luckyscent still carries it.

edit - I see this is the edp, so maybe you're right.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  17. Master-Classter

I really wanted to like that with it's cool bottle, noted nose (IIRC) and great list of accords on paper but on skin I found it was all good for maybe an hour and then more or less turned into a skin scent. Too short lived for me to buy a bottle.

SOTD wearing that Russian Tea scent and wow, this is just really nice. It's a smokey black tea but has a solid strong lemon note that's pretty persistent . I've got a good solid 8-10 hours out of this at least with very reasonable projection. Good good stuff for sure.

18. California Dreamer

Yep, it’s the EDT that they discontinued.

I love this too. I swear I smell like a freshly-brewed pot of lapsang souchong when I wear it, which makes me wonder how office-friendly it might be.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I happen to like violet, so I will have to go to the boutique and get a sample. I need to get a bottle of Cormandel anyway.

I've worn Russian Tea four times on my wrist and chest and it's just not clicking with me. I put it into my sample box, which is a purgatory that I try to seek salvation for at a later time.

Today, I'm wearing Comme des Garcons Sugi - this is one of my non-citrus fresh fragrances that I love.

20. California Dreamer

Ambre 114 today. Looks like the cold weather is here to stay for a fair while now, so warming scents like this one are much appreciated.

Do any of you guys have thoughts on YSL Opium Pour Homme? I just found a shrink-wrapped bottle of the EDT in a consignment shop. Not vintage; I dated it to 2013.