1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

grody.

2. Baron

I went to the Scent Bar today and sniffed a bunch of stuff. I thought for sure I'd pick up a 10 ml bottle of the "Tauerville" Rose Flash but I was surprised to find that I didn't really like it. I did find a few things that really appealed to me. Fazzolari's Lampblack is pretty interesting, I'd like to spend some more time with that one. I also tried Tom Ford's Noir de Noir and that's spectacular, but also really freaking expensive. I tried to buy a bottle of Knize Ten but they were sold out of the 50 ml bottles. I was really tempted to pick up a bottle of Philosykos or Premier Figuer for summer, but opted out and I think I may go the cheap route and get a bottle of Mark Jacobs for Men. I haven't smelled it in a while but a girl I used to date wore it and I remember it smelling good.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

What was it about Rose Flash that you didn't like?

4. Baron

They had a roll on bottle out as a tester and I rolled a lot of juice onto my hand and wrist and, for one, it seemed kinda sweet and maybe even slightly synthetic at first blush. Then, it started to lose it's structure almost immediately, and seemed to be completely gone within 20 minutes. I don't know what the deal was but I was sampling a lot of scents so that could have played a role, but none of the other samples (that I liked) were fading away so quickly. I visited a friend about an hour later and found sample strips for Lampblack and Tauer Incense Rose in my pocket and handed them to my friend to smell. As he did I absentmindedly sniffed my hand where I had applied the Rose Flash and I couldn't smell a thing except a weird candy smell, like sweet tarts.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

@HORNS I think I'm in on the bois marocain bus. Wore my sample again today and I may like this even more than tabacco vanilla. After i get through some more samples i may have to get one off the bay (hopefully still there :) )
    I did buy a monsieur balmain today. I think it was $38 with shipping for 50ml. It was advertised as the older cylindrical bottle

1 person likes this.
  6. L'Incandescent

Rose Flash lasts an eternity on me. I wonder if the roll-on application has anything to do with it? (Mine is not a roll on.)

Speaking of Andy Tauer, I applied some Noontide Petals to the surface of my body as a SOTE treat.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

My scent of the evening is Bel Ami Vetiver - required sniffing :nodding:.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree! I was thinking of the EdT so am glad you clarified. Yes, I love the Parfum and PdT for my own nose, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart... nor a great fit for a warm/dry spring/summer day.

Wanted a classic chypre today, so pulled out my (pre-reform) Tiffany For Men. A really lovely scent that many of us love; it's sort of what Chanel PM used to be (and both made by the same nose around the same time).

9. Baron

I've never been able to find a bottle of Tiffany.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another of my haul from the "grail" tiny shop I found in Japan... same place I found N22 parfum, Mitsouko (vintage), Dior Dior (the long lost Roudnitska), Tiffany, etc. The only one I kick myself for not buying was a vintage bottle of Patou 1000 parfum that came in the gigantic superluxe box. I had so much juice at the time I was like, "eh, why do I need it?" and am now wishing I'd just have snagged it.

It's really lovely stuff. Longevity is amazing... the crisp notes a joy... and that lovely powdery drydown perfect for work/meetings. I'm always happy to share, so just PM me if you want to try some.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  11. L'Incandescent

Amouage day for me today. Pre-shower is Sunshine, which is the brand new one. This one is definitely growing on me.
    SOTD is Jubilation 25.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Helmut Lang EdC

1 person likes this.
  13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Yesterday, escentric 3. Totally whatever to me...faint, only a little interesting, not in my style anyway

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I am wearing the vintage Chanel Pour Monsieur today.

Speaking of "Pour Monsieur", I bought a backup 100 mL bottle of Geranium Pour Monsieur yesterday because I wanted to stock up on it before Estee Lauder fucked it up. I also got a bottle of Patchouli 24.

2 people like this.
  15. California Dreamer

Are you hearing reformulation rumours about the FM line? Any others you believe are in the gun?

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Well, my concerns, and my actions based on them, are from the purchase of Frederic Malle and Le Labo by Estee Lauder late last year. These moves are good for the spread of such fragrances to markets that may not have access to such superlative niche fragrances, but certainly by my definition removing them from the category of "niche". However, such changes to corporate ownership have historically ALWAYS resulted in a sacrifice of quality for profit. Hell, Patchouli 24 used to be a much darker juice compared to the one I just bought, and it irks me that I didn't purchase it years ago, before a reformulation that the creator of Le Labo admitted, admirably, had occurred.

I'm not saying that every fragrance from every perfume house had deleterious changes from new ownership; the more dramatic changes are most likely from IFRA restrictions.

17. California Dreamer

Arquiste Aleksandr today. This is a pretty mild leather, with a strange aquatic/neroli opening. I don’t like its opening much, but it disappears on me pretty fast and turns into a solid, if unspectacular, leather concoction. I think Arquiste have done better than this one.

18. L'Incandescent

Villoresi Musk. This is a dusty, musky potpourri rose. It is absolutely lovely; it's hard for me to imagine anyone not liking it.

I've been thinking about whether or not to buy FM Fleur de Cassie, not because I'm worried EL will reformulate it but because I'm worried it'll be discontinued.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  19. Baron

Estee Lauder has done a great job with their own lines, I'm not at all worried that have bad ideas for Malle or Le Labo.

20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Do you know if Bergamote 22 or Santal 33 have been reformulated? I was actually just going to go to San Francisco to see about picking some up.