Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Only one??? What a tough call! (j/k)

If I had to pick one, especially as fall/winter is around the corner, it would be the Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum. Both are very evocative, but in different ways. BUT, you'll have to let the LV go through its whole course... when you first spray it on, you are going to get something very minty... almost menthol. As such, you'll probably think, "What the hell is this???" Once the menthol simmers down, you get the woods, the warmth, and the pepper. I'm not saying it is near BB all around, but I think it will evoke a similar "mood" for wintertime.

Second choice, good any day of the year, would be the Bond Riverside Drive. It costs an arm and a leg, but if you are near a Saks, they should probably at least give you a free sample. Also, on Basenotes, it's one that is regularly available for swap (I've had two bottles of it, both obtained on BN for swaps or quite low prices).

TY Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I think I will give the LV a try. I am generally uninterested in Bond stuff because of their packaging, naming and marketing style. I just don't like the whole aesthetic and, shallow though that may be, it detracts from my interest in the product.

Today, Habit Rouge Legere

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I am generally uninterested in Bond stuff because of their packaging, naming and marketing style.

I agree and TRY not to hold that against them... but I still do anyway because it's really annoying. Plus, the even more annoying sales reps at Saks don't help, either.

I approach the line mostly by looking at who is the "nose" behind a scent and go from there, which sort of bypasses (a little bit) the whole "BOND" Marketing machine.

Riverside Drive, for example, was created for Bond by Maurice Roucel, who has made some of my other absolute favorites (L'instant de Guerlain, Helmut Lang edC and EdP, Musk Ravageur, Lalique Pour Homme, etc.)

I hope you like the Villoresi. It's definitely a "love it or hate it" scent... I've never heard of anybody just lukewarm about it. So, I'm a little nervous that you'll HATE it... but give what you wear now, I think you might enjoy it.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Knize Ten

4. rach2jlc

Knize Ten

I seriously think, Ren, that we have almost the exact same taste in fragrances. It's still too warm where I live to bring out the Knize... but I can't wait to put it in full force!

Anthousa Fig&Vetiver for me today.

5. dopey

Only one??? What a tough call! (j/k)

If I had to pick one, especially as fall/winter is around the corner, it would be the Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum. . . .

Turning out to be hard to find, at least online. Do you know of any shops in NY that carry it.

6. rach2jlc

Turning out to be hard to find, at least online. Do you know of any shops in NY that carry it.
    I believe Lafco in NYC is LV's importer in the USA; they have his whole range (Musk, Incensi, and LV Uomo are also topnotch picks). http://www.lafcony.com/lorenzo/ If you want to try a sample/decant first, definitely head over to Basenotes. There are generally any number of members who have a bottle that they'll decant for you. My bottle has been empty for the past year or so, or else I'd give you some of mine...

7. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I seriously think, Ren, that we have almost the exact same taste in fragrances. It's still too warm where I live to bring out the Knize... but I can't wait to put it in full force!

Anthousa Fig&Vetiver for me today.

Believe me, I"m smelling it and it was just one spray! It was an impulsive " I'm in a hurry" reach for the bottle choice. I haven't worn it in a while:) It's a nice leather/powdery, classic scent.

8. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

TGIF! Bond No.9 Nouveau Bowery.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

...Guerlain Vetiver. I wanted something watery, but it seemed to tempt fate.

10. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

SOLO by Loewe. This reminds me of Barcelona, Spain.

11. dopey

Eau Savage. Learning to like it. And since my wife already does, why not?

12. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Uomo by Carthusia

13. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Sunday: Montale Aoud Lime.

14. rach2jlc

Eau Savage. Learning to like it. And since my wife already does, why not?

It's a classic, but I agree with you that it takes some getting used to. Actually, there is SOMETHING in it that just never really meshed well with me and so I gave my bottle away... almost something bitter.

Have you tried Creed Neroli Sauvage? It's got the dry citrus and the woods, but more crispness and less of whatever is in the Dior that turned me off... (not the best description, I know... but sometimes scent is hard to describe!)

Another that has the tart citrus without that "something" would be Anthousa Citrus Sorbet. It is harder to find, but worth it if you like dry citrus. I still have a bottle of this and would be happy to let you try some, if you'd like (just PM me).

Anyway, for me, Helmut Lang edc layered with the edp.

15. dopey

It's a classic, but I agree with you that it takes some getting used to. Actually, there is SOMETHING in it that just never really meshed well with me and so I gave my bottle away... almost something bitter.
    I know what you mean. There is a note - a single, acrid, slick oily poisonous note - that stands out and keeps this from being a generic cologne (but for this, it is quite similar to Douro, for example). I am not sure what it is, but it is probably gives Eau Savage the dimension that accounts for its exalted status. My complaint is that it is too fleeting, resulting in a scent that doesn't hold my attention for that long.
    Have you tried Creed Neroli Sauvage? It's got the dry citrus and the woods, but more crispness and less of whatever is in the Dior that turned me off... (not the best description, I know... but sometimes scent is hard to describe!) Another that has the tart citrus without that "something" would be Anthousa Citrus Sorbet. It is harder to find, but worth it if you like dry citrus. I still have a bottle of this and would be happy to let you try some, if you'd like (just PM me). Anyway, for me, Helmut Lang edc layered with the edp.
    The problem is that I probably like the note in Eau Savage that turns you off, so no, I have not tried any of those (more to the point, I am intrigued by it, though when I focus on the particular scent in isolation, it is quite unpleasant). And Eau Savage for me again today, as I am trying to really understand it.