1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Santal 33. Really crisp and clean woody scent. It makes me think of 1970s Scandinavian furniture.

1 person likes this.
  2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Knize Ten - on the notes listed on Fragrantica, there is no mention of ylang ylang, but I'm certain there is a lot of that in the composition, along with jasmine.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

MFK À La Rose for me today. This is a bright, citrusy rose that's very pleasant. It reminds me a little bit of Diptyque Eau Rose. I was very surprised when I checked the notes and saw it didn't have lychee in it.

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

currently waiting for my decant of Russian Tea to arrive... I keep hearing good reviews of it!

SOTD is the last of my many many years old decant of LDDM. It's a dry smokey amber scent and I feel about it the same as I did all those years ago. I can see why people like this, but something about Tauer's work gives me a headache. It's too sharp, too RAW, like I can smell each layer one piece at a time. It's hugely potent and a pretty nice smell overall and I like his whole shtick, but just can't personally fall in love with the scent. I like wood, incense, etc, but this is too sharp a smoke.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Orange Sanguine today, a late Christmas present. Nice enough, bit I think I prefer Hermes, Perfumes d’Empire and L’Artisan in this space.

6. L'Incandescent

@ M-C: Sometimes when I wear LDDM, I think it's the greatest thing ever. Other times I have to scrub it off.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. Master-Classter

I've got bottles of:
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute,
    MPG Ambre Precieux
    Hermessence Ambre Narguile
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Armani Privee Ambre Soie

I've got decants of:
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan,
    Balmain Amber Gris
    Mona Di Orio Ambre
    Kilian Amber Oud

(and that's just what I can remember)

and going to buy Parfum D'empire's Ambre Russe soon

so I feel like I sort of have this category covered pretty well... (open to suggestions though!)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: La Fin Du Monde - this is a very satisfying (best word to describe it and probably could be applied to any fragrance that I enjoy. Maybe.) dry, mineral (definitely a phosphorous component like in grass fertilizer) iris that is quite strong with just one spray. It definitely lives up to the the reputation that Etat Libre d'Orange has developed as a avant garde house.

9. Master-Classter

I don't like most of the ELDO's, but I think they're doing it right in terms of having a clear position with the names, packaging, smells, etc. It's good niche.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Geranium Pour Monsieur today. Summer’s back - with a vengeance.

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

So I just walked into Barneys and walked out with a small bottle of Vetiver Extraordinaire, a travel spray of Portrait of a Lady, and samples of Geranium Pour Monsieur, Lys Mediterranee, En Passant, and Dans Tes Bras.

I feel like I've accomplished something.

Or maybe Barney's has.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. L'Incandescent

I am wearing Tauer Incense Rose today (did not buy it from Barney).

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Well, perhaps you should reconsider your buying habits. I'll have you know I received a very lovely black paper bag, too. With string handles.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

A small bottle of VE - do they make a bottle smaller than 50 ml? I heard they were going to start offering something smaller.

15. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

san fran barney's? I had a great time talking to the fragrances lady when i was in there last summer.

1 person likes this.
  16. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

They have 10ml bottles of most (all?) Malle frags now.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Got a bottle of CdG Stephen Jones and a 50 mL of Iris 39 today. I have the Iris 39 in the balm medium, which works really well, but I wanted the EdT as well.
    The Stephen Jones is . . . weird. That's really the best way to sum it up, but it is such a good carnation fragrance with this really sharp, pickle juice aldehyde opening for the first five to ten minutes that really shocks you.

18. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Vetiver Extraordinaire. Clean, woody, and peppery, it reminds me a bit of Sander for Men, my quasi-signature scent before I got more into fragrances. My hairdresser complimented me on the scent right when I sat down in the barber chair for a haircut this morning, and asked for the store (STC) where I bought it.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I am wearing Le Labo Iris 39, which has a lot of violet leaf as well as ylang ylang. It's a fantastic fragrance that, to me, is a prime example of "unisex" and overall a great "masculine floral".

20. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Kouros
    SOTD: Chanel No. 5. Those are two very different fragrances, needless to say. I don't know how it happened that I wore both in one day.

@Master-Classter Have you tried Amour de Palazzo? I know I'm a bit of an evangelist for Jul et Mad, but I really do think it's a wonderful amber scent.