Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today the air is getting chilly, and by chilly I mean below 80 degrees, so I broke out something different - Isfarkand. I don't think I like this more than Ormonde Man, but OM's lead is dwindling.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

two rich for my blood [​IMG] Old Spice aftershave baby. I would describe it as old and spicy

^Oh, come on, we've got to get you trying something new! [​IMG] If you like something that is classic and a little spicey (and also rather affordable when bought either at a fragrance discounter or online), I'd try Escada Pour Homme, Giorgio Red for Men, Gucci pour Homme (the Tom Ford one), YSL Rive Gauche or YSL M7, Richard James EdT, or Guerlain Heritage. All of them are really quite nice and if you look carefully, probably less than $30!

ORRRRRR...you might also look into Guerlain Vetiver which is cool, classic, and masculine in a freshly-scrubbed way. Also consider John Varvatos which is easily found and appropriate for the cooler weather ahead. Hermes Bel Ami is another winner to consider, as is Chanel Antaeus [​IMG]

ORRR...you can just skip all that and go right to the fun stuff. Angel. Kindgom. Yatagan. Giorgio for Men.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Borneo 1854 by Serge Lutens

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

ORRRRRR...you might also look into Guerlain Vetiver which is cool, classic, and masculine in a freshly-scrubbed way. Also consider John Varvatos which is easily found and appropriate for the cooler weather ahead. Hermes Bel Ami is another winner to consider, as is Chanel Antaeus [​IMG]

ORRR...you can just skip all that and go right to the fun stuff. Angel. Kindgom. Yatagan. Giorgio for Men.

I can't believe I forgot Belami! That's a GREAT one. The only reason I didn't recommend Antaeus is because it's hard to find at discount. I was thinking of everything in the $30 or under range, via discounters, which was the only reason Antaeus or Chanel PM didn't make my list.

ANyway, I'm wearing Red Aoud (Montale) today, thanks to a sample from T. It's my fifth or sixth Aoud from Montale and though it's not my favorite (that would be White Aoud or Aoud Queen Roses), I definitely like it.

5. rach2jlc

Comme des Garcons Luxe Patchouli today (another sample from T). It's okay, but I'd never pay what CdG wants for it.

It reminds me WAY too much of two scents I already have/have had... Goutal Sables and Dior Eau Noire. It's much more like the Sables, a little dirtier/smokier, than the Dior which is slightly sweeter... though all three seem to have the infamous "immortelle" note.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

A new scent for me today: Kouros Fraicheur. Arrived in a swap along with the original Kouros and two bottles of more womanly fare, plus samples.

KF is billed as a lighter, fresher Kouros and so far it lives up to its billing, adding a marine/citrus note to the classic and lightening the dull heaviness. This might be good year-round, and so far is a keeper.

7. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - the classic - YSL Kouros. Heavier and redolent of a recently-used shower. Probably should keep this under wraps for the wintertime, but couldn't resist this morning.

9. rach2jlc

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi.

You can never go wrong with LV. I haven't tried Garofano, but I LOVE Musk, Incensi, and of course Piper Nigrum for fall.

For me, Guerlain L'instant PH for me today... I just love this one (of course, I find it's hard for me to dislike Roucel's creations...)

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pen. Blenheim Bouquet. Been on a steady diet of that for a while.

For those of you with more well-traveled noses, is there anything else like it? It seems to be its own category to me.

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Ferragamo "F"

12. rach2jlc

Pen. Blenheim Bouquet. Been on a steady diet of that for a while. For those of you with more well-traveled noses, is there anything else like it? It seems to be its own category to me.
    Yeah, it's pretty much in a category of its own. It's got freshness, but also depth. It's warm... but also not "heavy." It's really well done and hard to evoke exactly what makes it so neat. Though there is nothing really "like" it, in terms of those that might evoke a similar "mood," I like LV Piper Nigrum (which I mentioned above). It's better in winter, but both have a subtle depth to them that is nice... and of course loads of pepper! MPG Parfum d'habit might be one you'd like, too. Creed Epicea loads up on the pine notes, which Blenheim also has in abundance. Though it's very different, Bond no. 9 Silver Factory has a floral note (violet) but mixed with a lot of warmth and depth, so you might like it, too, or Riverside Drive (again, some citrus notes and some pepper).
    Today - the classic - YSL Kouros. Heavier and redolent of a recently-used shower. Probably should keep this under wraps for the wintertime, but couldn't resist this morning.
    You know, T, the Cuir Amethyste you sent me got me thinking of an Amber scent that you MUST try... Armani Prive Ambre Soie. I had a decant of this a few years back and it was absolutely WONDERFUL... probably the richest, most luxurious amber I've tried. Unfortunately, also the most expensive... which is why I probably blocked it from my mind because there's no way I can afford it! But, definitely give it a "drive." (though, it is quite sweet and thick.... but in a very silky/velvety way)

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, it's pretty much in a category of its own. It's got freshness, but also depth. It's warm... but also not "heavy." It's really well done and hard to evoke exactly what makes it so neat.

Though there is nothing really "like" it, in terms of those that might evoke a similar "mood," I like LV Piper Nigrum (which I mentioned above). It's better in winter, but both have a subtle depth to them that is nice... and of course loads of pepper! MPG Parfum d'habit might be one you'd like, too. Creed Epicea loads up on the pine notes, which Blenheim also has in abundance. Though it's very different, Bond no. 9 Silver Factory has a floral note (violet) but mixed with a lot of warmth and depth, so you might like it, too, or Riverside Drive (again, some citrus notes and some pepper).

What a helpful response. Thanks. If you had to rank the suggestions on your list, how would you do it? I might get one out of curiosity, so which would be your best guess for delivering an overall interesting, positive experience in the BB vein (though not necessarily closest to BB, just similarly odd and unique, and well done)?

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

You know, T, the Cuir Amethyste you sent me got me thinking of an Amber scent that you MUST try... Armani Prive Ambre Soie. I had a decant of this a few years back and it was absolutely WONDERFUL... probably the richest, most luxurious amber I've tried. Unfortunately, also the most expensive... which is why I probably blocked it from my mind because there's no way I can afford it! But, definitely give it a "drive." (though, it is quite sweet and thick.... but in a very silky/velvety way)

Normally I'd give it a shot, but I'm loaded up on Amber scents at the moment. Actually, I'm just loaded up on scents and tried to get rid of a few bottles via basenotes, but my swap partner sent more than I had asked for. Between the TF Amber Absolute and Yves Rocher's Voile d'Ambre and the decant of MPG Ambre Precieux, I think I'm covered for the next few autumns/winters. I can't imagine a better amber than the TF, though.

Today: I'm giving a demonstration speech and have just now written the exposition part. Rehearsed the demo a couple of times, have no idea how I'll fare on time, SO I'm wearing Antaeus for the comfort/confidence factor.

15. rach2jlc

What a helpful response. Thanks. If you had to rank the suggestions on your list, how would you do it? I might get one out of curiosity, so which would be your best guess for delivering an overall interesting, positive experience in the BB vein (though not necessarily closest to BB, just similarly odd and unique, and well done)?

Only one??? What a tough call! (j/k)

If I had to pick one, especially as fall/winter is around the corner, it would be the Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum. Both are very evocative, but in different ways. BUT, you'll have to let the LV go through its whole course... when you first spray it on, you are going to get something very minty... almost menthol. As such, you'll probably think, "What the hell is this???" Once the menthol simmers down, you get the woods, the warmth, and the pepper. I'm not saying it is near BB all around, but I think it will evoke a similar "mood" for wintertime.

Second choice, good any day of the year, would be the Bond Riverside Drive. It costs an arm and a leg, but if you are near a Saks, they should probably at least give you a free sample. Also, on Basenotes, it's one that is regularly available for swap (I've had two bottles of it, both obtained on BN for swaps or quite low prices).