1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

You know, I've never ever smelled M7. I have lots of ouds, and this is one was on the forefront of that trend, so I'm kind of disappointed with myself. However, it was discontinued before I got around to smelling it and I never had the motivation to purchase a bottle blind nor get a decant.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'm nearly nearly done with all my samples so will begin working through all my decants and eventually bottles and then the sellings will be begin.

It's a balance between offering people good deals and stuff and spammyness. Don't want to step on anyone's toes with posts or PM'ing people but also it's usually good juice, barely used, and good prices and would rather work with you guys than random eBay people.

SOTD - Terryfic Oud (Terry de Ginzburg) - second time testing this. Surprisingly nice. It's berry fruity opening with some sharp dry dirty cumin spices and some oud and rose and patchouli in the base. Somewhere between Dior's Oud Ispahan and L'Artisan's Al Aoudh. Nice scent, better than I was expecting, but for $200 or so, it shouldn't lasted more than 3-5 hours. Nice smell, pretty bad longevity and projection. Worth a sniff but overall a PASS. Nice try buddy, but too much better similar juice out there.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Aventus today. My kids told me I smelled like pee. Smoky pineapple? No, pee. Not exactly what I was going for, LOL!

1 person likes this.
  4. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Tonight is Parfumerie Generale Iris Oriental - just a lovely, cozy iris and cardamom mix with a slight sweetness to it. It's not close to being sweet like Dior Homme because of the cardamom, but instead has a powdery exotic spiciness reminiscent of homemade chai made with almond milk. It has a big dollop of honey in it, but I've noticed that there are two types of honey out there in my experience: an animalic one that is closer to the smell of beeswax, and one that actually comes from honey and therefore more fruity and nectary. The former is most notable in Giorgio for Men whereas the latter is indicative in what Iris Oriental contains.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Piper Nigrum today, from a sample.

This has a full-on and very sharp opening, a confusion of pepper, bitter herbs and mint. I was in two minds as to whether I like it.

As the day wore on I found it fading fast. I couldn't smell it on my wrists after 4 hours, but my chest (or maybe shirt) retains a very nice mellow scent with the bitterness gone and the pepper toned down a bit. It’s a shame about the longevity; I could get to like this.

6. California Dreamer

I’ve sold quite a lot lately, but there isn’t a lot of good money in it. My best business comes from collectors that I know personally, but they’re pretty picky. eBay is pretty much a dead loss; I just sold a BNIB 30ml Shalimar for just $30, less than half RRP.

7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

Thanks (re: avatar). LaGuy has coerced Prof Fab out of retirement to do some random writing here and there, and we thought it would be good to give him a new graphic. It was hard to say goodbye to the Pink Dolphin... but I think the graphic captures the old spirit of the Prof Fab threads (now nearly 5 years old).

8. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

I think m7 is a good gateway to oud scents but once you get quality niche ouds it becomes unexceptional but I like it a lot and still have supplies that will almost last me a life time. I have a 100ml bottle of the vintage juice sitting in storage. If you need a mini decant I can send you one just to get the hype of the transformational juice.

9. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

Nice one. Keep us updated.

10. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I find the oud in M7 to be almost undetectable. Nothing like the arabian style ouds, such as Montale.

I'm wearing the last drops of my Knize Ten decant today. I'm going to have to buy a full bottle.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. California Dreamer

Sample of Ramon Monegal Entre Noranjes today. Love the bitter oranges in these, but it is useless in terms of longevity. Double the amount I usually spray, and gone in 4 hours.

12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Pre-shower: M7. I can see why people had a hard time making sense of this when it came out, but by contemporary standards this is a perfectly wearable oud. It's not sharp or medicinal at all. Its dense and round, and has a smell that reminds me of grape--not real grapes, but the grape flavoring in pop.

SOTD: TF London. Has anyone else tried this? I was a little disappointed at first, but I've come to enjoy it quite a lot. I think any of you who like Tobacco Oud would want to try it.

13. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

SOTD Mancera Sand Aoud

Expecting a bottle of Creed Royal Oud in the mail. Took a while to warm up to it since it's like a tamer version of Gucci I (Cedar beast) which I didn't stock up on :(

14. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Mazzolari Bergamoto Mediterraneo. This is an old-school masculine with bergamot, petigrain, and musk as the standout notes. It's not really my favorite genre of fragrance, but it's definitely well done.
    SOTD: APOM pour Homme. This is a powdery orange blossom scent. Like much of the MFK lineup (other than the ouds), this is a restrained, office-friendly scent. I enjoy it, but I don't love it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

Or cough syrup.

16. L'Incandescent

I don't think I've ever had grape cough syrup, but M7 is sort of syrupy and so I can easily imagine it smelling something like grape cough syrup.

As the APOM dries down, it becomes sickly sweet, which I don't like very much. It also becomes much woodier, but unfortunately the woodiness doesn't cancel out the sweetness.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

18. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Today I was on my second day of suffering from the flu, so I wore Lavender Palm. This really is a scam of a fragrance, with its simplicity related to its price, but damn if it doesn't have a great clean lavender to it. Very comforting.

19. L'Incandescent

^^ To me, that's another one that dries down to a strange, heavy kind of sweetness. Sometimes I think it's okay, but sometimes I strongly dislike it.

20. California Dreamer

Evocative Olibanum today. This is produced by an Adelaide-based friend of mine. This is a smoky incense fragrance, but not heavy ilke Avignon. It starts with a sharp, green opening like pine, and the dry down is a softish incense with just a bit of iris. Lasts well.

Mark’s prices are very reasonable for the quality; worth checking out.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Evocative-Perfumes/Olibanum-29139.html

http://evocativeperfumes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=69