1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

l'air du the-area-east-of-the-Atlas-Mountains down Morocco way. I've always admired this but usually found it too strong to wear much, but I'm loving it today. Maybe I'm just getting more willing to project scent as I get older. I'm going to use this decant up this winter.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I am wearing Fumerie Turque as my SOTE basically makes me feel mighty.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Any thoughts on Rue Cambon? Would it be considered a unisex fragrance? I got given a sample and I’m not sure whether to keep it or gift it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  4. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Kalemat by Arabian Oud

5. L'Incandescent

I think of it as unisex, but it probably leans a bit to the feminine side. My only complaint about it is the longevity.

Pre-shower: Velvet Gardenia
    SOTD: Rose Nacrée du Désert.

6. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Could you tell us a bit more about this?

Also, from your SOTDs, you seem to be wearing quite a number of scents that I like or that I wear personally. Looks like we may have similar preferences in our fragrances.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Ouarzazate - I really like the dryness of this one as well as the tea component.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. California Dreamer

Thanks L’Inc. I think I’ll gift it.

Guerlain Vetiver today; feeling old-school.

I went to another warehouse sale today. They are running out their HdP stocks at less than half price. Since they are the only stockists here, this will be the last chance to sniff and buy FdP in Australia. I and some fellow perfumistas descended on these poor souls and swarmed like flies. I bought Veni and Tubereuse 3. I also picked up some Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea and Etro Via Verri

9. L'Incandescent

I am wearing Lumiere Noire PH on account of recent discussions reminded me of it. This is definitely among my favorites from the MFK lineup.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'll give this a full wearing today too.

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

heeley vetiver veritas this morning. reminds me too much of bug spray. a relatively nice, grapefruity bug spray, but still, bug spray.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Le Labo Rose 31. Like all other Le Labos I have tried, this one takes repeated wearings to appreciate. I wish it projected better on me.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Hermessence Ambre Narguile

1 person likes this.
  14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Chanel No. 19 parfum. :inlove:

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Oh we may have similar tastes in heavy and oriental fragrances.

Kalemat is very interesting, it is a Honey, Amber and Vanilla based fragrance with it's sweetness toned down by what I think is oud but oud isn't listed on the notes. It doesn't get cloying and projects pretty well. If you like Tobacco Vanille then you will be able to wear Kalemat. I'll call it a middle eastern scent adapted for the west.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

Honestly, Lumière Noire has basically 0 projection on me. Or scent fatigue kicks in after like 10 minutes. Weird.

17. L'Incandescent

Interesting. I get good longevity and projection from it.

Pre-shower: Parfum d'Hermes
    SOTD: Feminite du Bois (Shiseido)

18. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks for that. I am waiting for sample Kalemat to arrive.

My favourite currently is Amber Absolute. I find Tobacco Vanille a bit boring on drydown after three hours. Layer with Oud Wood or Tobacco Oud and it is beautiful.

From your SOTDs, I think you will enjoy Memo Shams Oud. Perfect with the approaching cold weather over your part of the globe.

19. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

This works surprisingly well on me too. I have quite an old bottle, not sure if there is a difference due to reformulations?

20. California Dreamer

Creed Original Vetiver today.

Went along to the launch of the Creed Acqua Originale series tonight. I sniffed all five but only tried two on skin: Vetiver Geranium and Iris Tuberose.

I sprayed these about 4-5 hours ago, and both are still readily detectable, but I think they both stick reasonably close to the skin. IT opens up with a big, rooty iris smell but it dries down much more creamy and floral. More of a femme fragrance, I think.

The VG has not lasted so well. I would say this is more geranium than Veitiver, and is really nothing olie the OV I was wearing earlier. It has dried down to essentially patchouli an dmusk; quite earthy after a bright opening.

I tried both on some friends at the pub. The girls all preferred VT, and they all thought IT girly. One guy did actually pick IT as a more manly fragrance, so I wouldn’t say guys can't wear it.

I think these blighters cost $385 a bottle, and I would not pay that for any of them. Mind you, there is an Australia Tax element to this pricing; they are about $255 shipped from Essenza Nobile. Even that pricing is too high for these, I think. I’d rather buy Geranium Pour Monsieur I thank, and pocket about 60 euros.