1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

SOTE is Sotto La Luna--Gardenia by Andy Tauer. Reviews of this have been either strongly positive or strongly negative. The moment you smell it you know it's an Andy Tauer. Nonetheless, it is very unusual. For starters, gardenia is not the main player here, despite the name. It peeks through in the heart, but even then it's not all that prominent. It opens up very fizzy and sweet, a bit like Sweet Tarts but less tart. I also get the sense of some kind of overripe fruit, but I can't really place it. As it dries down, I pick up bitter almond notes that actually remind me a little bit of Une Rose de Kandahar. The base is very sweet vanilla. When I first tried this last night, I didn't like it. But then I found myself sniffing my wrist over and over, which is almost always a good sign. Now I'm at the point where I'm enjoying it a lot.

2. fllick

fllick Senior member

Chanel coromandel today. reminds me of serge noire just less sweet

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

This is one of the Tauer scents I took with my on holidays. I like it too, although to me it was a tad cloying and rich for the warm weather we had there. You’re right about the mixed response to it; one guy I know who smelt it recoiled in instant disgust.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Got myself a bottle of Jubilation XXV two days ago and been wearing that. Beautiful, complex fragrance for those who like the incense style, but it is not as heavy as Avignon. Avignon is frankincense-heavy, while this one has a lot of oppoponax, apparently, though I don't know what that smell exactly is.

1 person likes this.
  5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This is such a beautiful fragrance and the best patchouli out there - how they do this and not make you smell like a filthy hippie is beyond me.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hoy llevo Nueva York

7. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: 1932 by Chanel
    SOTD: Dré van Newton (or whatever it's called)

1 person likes this.
  8. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Just recently finished my 10ml decant of that one myself actually. I think of it as a more or less modern take on classics like Aqua Di Parma, a somewhat streamlined simpler version. Pleasant but probably too boring for it's own good. Though I do like that sweet anise note in there, that always stood out to me. Not a bad scent, but just too inoffensive I think. Perfect as an office scent, or something for a guy you'd describe as reliable. Like so many Chanels, it's a good quality somewhat generic scent. The body wash is actually quite nice.

10. Homme

Homme Senior member

Two (comparatively) cooler days in sydney, leather oud today and vintage mitsouko extrait yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  11. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

SOTD: TF Tobacco Oud layered with a little Oud Wood. I find that on its own, the Tobacco Oud is a bit too sourish and screechy. The Oud Wood mellows it out. The Oud Wood smells slightly different (and better) than the one in the old bottle with the gold label, but the SA told me that according to TF information, no reformulation took place. As I tried the previous Oud Wood during summer, and the "new" Oud Wood is now worn in winter, perhaps seasonal and temperature changes may have accounted for the difference in perception.

1 person likes this.
  12. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Dries van Noten

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Bentley for Men Intense. Smells very familiar but still can't pinpoint it. Gucci I? Black Afgano? Pardon or a mixture of everything? Anyways it's awesome just wish it has more punch...

14. L'Incandescent

SOTD is Beige by Chanel.

I tried this on paper recently when I was in Seattle. I loved it immediately and so I bought a 6.8 oz bottle on the spot ($300). It turns out I don't like it quite so much on skin. It's still quite good, though. It opens up with a big freesia note, but develops from there into a honey sweet, shimmering floral. The floral note that emerges after the freesia is a very creamy, tropical smelling flower. I'm guessing that's the frangipani. It's pleasant, but not as amazing as I thought.

(The part about buying the bottle on the spot is a lie. I added it to make my story more compelling for the reader.)

1 person likes this.
  15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

16. L'Incandescent

SOTE is YSL M7. It's a rich, warm oud scent.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Amouage Memoir Man. This one's really growing on me. It smells like a hike through a pine forest.

18. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Montale Black Aoud

19. L'Incandescent

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member