1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

SOTE is Velvet Orchid. I think I've gotten to the point where my opinion is formed on this one. I'm just not nuts about it, and it's largely because of the boozy note that dominates the top. There's also something that reminds me of the ELDO scents that use Jungle Essence technology. I don't really know what Jungle Essence technology means, but their scents that use it have something in common that's hard to describe, but that's noticeable. Those are my least favorite ELDOs.

2. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

That's actually exactly how mine smells. Not sure how I feel about it yet...

Anyways, wearing Kyoto by CDG today.

3. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Acteur. Somewhat old-fashioned ('80s) masculine spicy rose.
    SOTD: Une Fleur de Cassie. This one is still pretty new to me, but I'm liking it very much.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Looking to buy Guerlain's reissue of Derby, but the only place I can find it for sale is at Saks Fifth Avenue, where it's going for $250 for a 3.3 oz bottle. Are there more affordable places to buy this fragrance? And is it something that one can expect to find on sale as the holidays approach?

TIA

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I think it is exclusive to Saks...

I do like this one a great deal...was playing around with at the Guerlain booth at saks in nyc just a few weeks ago.

SOTE is Noir de Noir - i cannot get enough of the truffle and rose...i think this is one of the best of the TF private's...

6. dieworkwear

Yikes. Anyone know if it's something that occasional goes on sale, or gets discounted? Will pay $250 if I have to, but wouldn't mind waiting for a discount if possible.

7. L'Incandescent

Unfortunately, I think the likelihood of its being discounted is pretty low. Have you tried looking for splits? That might be a way to go if you don't think you need a whole 3.3 oz bottle.

My SOTE is Tobacco Vanille. You have to spray this pretty generously because the projection is low.

3 people like this.
  8. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

lol...

9. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Anyone tried Or du Serail yet?

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

FM Geranium pour Monsieur today.

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Continuing my manly man theme... [​IMG] the day before yesterday was Azzaro Pour Homme - spicier and more herbal than some generic male scents but really not much else to distinguish it from a multitude of other commercial fougeres of the 60s-70s - then yesterday Boucheron Pour Homme - also rather generic but more in the classic cologne lineage, and not as good as either true classic of this genre like Eau Sauvage, or my old standby, Cerruti 1881. And definitely not in any way as interesting as the same company's Jaipur. Today I've gone back to Caron Pour Un Homme - a disappointing couple of generic fougeres is really starting to make me appreciate the vanilla in this in a way I didn't before.

12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

^Neat! Yes, Azzaro PH was a HUGE one back in the day; it was so often copied and built upon in other forms that smelling it now leaves one unimpressed. I imagine when it first came out, it probably was quite distinct, in the same way that CK Eternity, Platinum Egoiste, etc. were once pretty unique marine fougere but now smell just like every third fragrance that comes out.

It's now the last batch of warm summery/early fall days, so I need to wear Ocean Rain more before the cold weather hits. A lot of fragrances are "seasonal dependent," but that one more than most. In summer it has that wonderful Roudnitska stink... in winter it's flat and dull.

1 person likes this.
  13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

They sell it at Neiman Marcus as well. I'm afraid you're shit outta luck to find it on sale.

Today I'm wearing Au Dela by Bruno Fazzolari - a chypre in the vein of Chanel Pour Monsieur but with better ingredients.

14. L'Incandescent

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. It's a dusty potpourri musky rose. One of my favorites.

2 people like this.
  15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Rocabar. It's a sharp coniferous scent over a sweet vanilla base. This was one of my first "serious" fragrances, and so I have good memories of it. It's quite pleasant in a traditional masculine way.

SOTD: Iris Poudre. A very sweet, powdery iris. At the open, I actually find it cloying, but as it dries down it becomes really quite beautiful. I just walked into my office after having been away for 15 minutes or so and was struck by how nice it smelled. (Just to be clear, it smelled like Iris Poudre. That's why I mentioned it in this context.)

16. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

end of day relaxing scent: Comme des Garcons Black. I don't like its licorice note but I like everything else--a smoky cedar, tar, leather, pepper thing. too bad the licorice part never really goes away.

17. L'Incandescent

I'm wearing Ungaro Diva as my SOTE. It's a big, '80s rose chypre with lots of civet.

18. rach2jlc

I finished up my last bottle of LV Musk probably 4-5 years ago. It was also always one of my favorites. It just might have to make it back into my "essentials" rotation. I'm missing a decent musk.

That's one issue with having a big collection OR trying to keep up with new releases; you tend to forget some that you really liked and your brain (from exhaustion, if nothing else!) tends to focus just on the exemplars. Like, it's easy for me to rattle off "Jicky, Diorella, n19, etc." but after those key ones things like LV musk somehow slip away. L'aP Voleur de roses or Poivre Piquant. etc.

I mentioned this on another thread, but lately I've been doing a lot of reading into the psychology of choice and can completely relate from my own experience that give too many choices or too much information our brains tend both to shut down and run back to exemplars/reference points. Unless you give a great deal of time/attention to your fragrance collection (and these days I don't... not like I did back 10-15 years ago)... I don't really think you can keep more than 10 or so really in mind.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  19. dieworkwear

Just a random thought, but I love how @L'Incandescent has a pre-shower scent he puts on.

Anyway, SOTD is Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, although I'm not so sure I like it. Been trying to get into leather fragrances, but Kinze 10 is too powerful/ smoky; Tuscan Leather too perfume-y; and Cuir Mauresque too cigarette-y. If anyone has suggestions for other leathers, I'd appreciate them.

1 person likes this.
  20. rach2jlc

Did you try Cuir de Russie (Chanel), Cuir d'ottoman (Parfum d'empire) or Derby (Guerlain)? Given what you said above, the latter two might NOT be a hit.

Lighter, sweeter, or less "funky" leathers would be Creed REL (Royal English Leather) or HL Cuiron.

If you can still find it cheap, maybe also give Bandit EdT a spritz (NOT the EdP). It's pretty harsh, but like CdR a classic worth at least one wearing.

I personally like even the reforumlated Caron Tabac Blond but given how $$$ it is and how hard to find, it may be one you could skip. If you are in NYC you can try it direct from the Caron crystal urn (it used to be in the Phyto Universe building on Lex Ave, but I don't know if it is still there).