1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I'm a scents newb so I've not really wanted to weigh in here--I like very few scents anyway--but the CDG monocle hinoki just won me over. Had to buy a bottle.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Musc Tonkin by Parfum d'Empire. It smells exactly like what the name suggests.
    SOTD: Fils de Dieu du Riz et des Agrumes. I needed something summery for such a hot, humid day.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep, CdG scents are great. Probably the best scents available from a fashion house.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

For me, those are just - going back to the discussion a few days ago about gendered scent - what I'd define as undeniably masculine scents (right at that end of the spectrum), and I like both Derby and Gentleman a lot. I think Dunhill Edition is another one that's less well known but a really strong contender in that field, as well as Van Cleef and Arpel's Tsar and Caron's 3rd Man... there are many, many others.

Today, however, I am returning to the source, wearing the simple, light, citrusy wash of 4711 Original K├Âlnisch Wasser. When I say 'wearing', I really mean that I put some on, because it vanishes like water within about 30 minutes, leaving only a ghostly echo of itself, or perhaps even that is only in my memory. And sometimes I really prefer that.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

The Hinoki is very good. A couple that I want are Stephen Jones and Daphne Guinness.

6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Thanks for the tips rach. I already have a FB of vintage Gentleman, plus another mini, but will keep an eye out for those others.

Today's op shop scent is Prada Infusion d'Iris. I only just found out that this comes as a pure perfume. I assumed that I had just found two samples at the op shop; I need to check those bottles more closely. :)

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tonight: Portrait of a Lady - soon I will be reunited with a bottle of you. You have this fertile earth dirtiness of patchouli, enriched by oud, yet you continue to emit, hours after application, this juicy lusciousness of rose and red fruit. Just amazing.

2 people like this.
  8. L'Incandescent

I think HORNS may have just invented a new style of SOTD post (addressing the fragrance itself rather than the other posters).

9. L'Incandescent

Some of you have sent me messages on Twitter wondering what my SOTE is it is Urban Musk by Tom Ford. It's a very honey sweet, spicy musk. Apparently this sold horribly, and a lot of people think it's unwearable (smells like a barn with the feces of animals in it). I don't get that at all. But then I like Kingdom too, so what do I know?

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Just got my hands on Naomi Goodsirs Or Du Serail and wow loving it can see it being a cool weather fav.

SOTD was the classic MDCI Invasion Barbare but will rock ODS for rest of the day :)

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

@Horns, note that IFRA regulations going into effect end of this year meant that many co's like Malle had to do some reformulations over the past year or two to comply. There's an interview with him about having to tweak like most of the line. Meaning I'm sure PoaL is still excellent, but might be different from what you remember.

(was this discussion here or BN's? I can't remember)

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Ugh. The one I'm wore last night was a sample obtained about three months ago, and I still love it. But still.

13. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

I'm wearing Geo F. Trumper's Astor today.

14. 1969

1969 Senior member

I like Hinoki and 2Man, and I wore the vettiveru a lot the last few summers but I've come to pickup a lot of sweetness in the opening that's offputting, even if it doesn't last that long.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Creamy lemon and vetiver.
    SOTD: TF London. Is this the best choice for a 96 degree day? No it is not. But irregardless, it is what I felt like wearing.

1 person likes this.
  16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: wore Comme des Garcons 3 - clean, weird, yet comfortable. I love the magnolia in the first 15 minutes.

17. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Caron's Third Man. Like Pour Un Homme but more complex, with a floral middle and lingering musky depths in the drydown. Some people complain about the cloves - I don't get any.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  18. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Tubereuse Criminelle. It is a big, camphorous tuberose.

1 person likes this.
  19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

TF Cocaine Cologne. Easy to get tired of this quickly so I try not to wear it too often.

Also, I feel it's more suited for colder weather and evening activity.

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

There's really nothing like it. All other tuberose fragrances, like Carnal Flower or Fracas, fall short of smelling like a tuberose compared to this one.