1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions, Horns. And for the nice words. I'll get some samples of those from The Perfumed Court.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Nice - so you wore it around your house like a comfy sweater.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Exactly.

I am rockin' (wearing) TF London as my SOTE. I've been craving this lately.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Another op shop fragrance today. I wore the Vera Wang for Men. A bit of an unusual citrus - apparently it’s a Japanese citrus called yuzu, which I’m not acquainted with.

I cleaned out my fish tank today, so it didn’t last too long. Went shopping later and am now wearing a test spray of Bel Respiro. I also managed to snag a sample of L’Ideal so I’ll give that a whirl this week. The SA also gave me some samples of Guerlain Homme which she says is being withdrawn from sale. (Not sure if that’s everywhere, or just in Australia).

The weather is turning and I’m hankering for something new for Spring. Can anyone suggest something that will knock my socks off?

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

4 oz is about 120-125ml. It's a nice find... but if you are thinking of selling IMHO I doubt it's either that old, Baccarat, or all that valuable.

As far as Diors go, parfum is where the value lies, or ones that have been discontinued: Dior Dior, Eau Fraiche, Diorama, Diorling, etc. Miss Dior and Diorissimo were available for so long and in so many forms they are less sought after or found relatively easily.

Unless you paid a lot for it and need to recoup an investment, I'd say just crack it open and wear it! You can always keep the empty bottle as a collectible. Coming up on fall is the PERFECT season to wear it.

To your above post, yep... yuzu is an Asian citrus. It's in lots of Japanese foods, scents, etc. As you said, it's pretty much a basic citrus with a "what is that?" tinge to it. It's nice and friendly, without being too sweet. I like my citrus much fouler/sharper, so yuzu never did much for me.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. California Dreamer

It’s coming up on Spring here. :)

7. rach2jlc

Haha, I didn't see your location bc I focused on your screen name!

Spring is just as good. Warm, not hot... and cool... not cold... give the perfect match for Miss Dior. It feels harsher/flat in the winter and a little too stinky in summer. But spring/fall it's perfect. Diorella or eau Fraiche is great for hot, sultry summer (or Eau Sauvage of course)

8. California Dreamer

Opening it will be a tough decision; there’ll be no going back. I find it very hard to open a pristine vintage frag, although it’s a lot easier when I know there’s little chance of resale.

I did spend a fair bit on this, so I will have to think about it and do some research on resale value before I take the plunge. The vintage market is thinner here than in the USA, so it may be a bit harder to find for locals, adding to the resale.

If it’s not worth it, I might open it and flog some decants to my femme friends, who are already in lust with it.

9. rach2jlc

Fair enough; I hope you can get a good price for it! If you aren't buying frags for yourself to wear, though, it's not a terribly lucrative market to enter. The cardinal rule of old fragrance fans trying not to waste huge amounts of monty/time is (1) never buy blind (2) never buy it unless you plan to use it or give it as a gift and (3) never buy it expecting to resell it for $$$ (unless you pick it up for a song).

The trouble is that on ebay you'll see tons of high-priced vintage frags and so think you might be able to make some $$$... but on careful examination those bottles have been sitting there unbought for years. The number of scents that will make you any sort of $$$ are very slim, and very rare. Jicky and the rare Guerlains ALWAYS sell, as do things like Chanel Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles. Dior I already mentioned. Givenchy L'interdit parfum, too. Some of the old Patou ones, too (I kick myself for not buying an original NIB "1000" parfum in the crystal flacon for a song).

edit; for some comparison... a few years back I liquidated much of my collection... and IIRC about the only one that surprised me by selling for a good price was a large bottle of Mitsouko parfum. All of the rest sold for much less than I'd have liked... even Chanel parfums went for well under $100.

10. California Dreamer

Thanks for the advice Rach. It's starting to sound like I could do better selling decants and keeping the bottle. Even at $3/ml I would recover my costs, and I would have thought people would be prepared to pay that.

I'm wearing another op shop scent today - Dior Jules.

11. L'Incandescent

I am wearing TF Lys Fume today.

12. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

RL Double Black after a round of golf.

Cheers,

13. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

FM Bois d'Orage. Can't say I know what angelica and galbanum smell like, but apparently I like them.

14. L'Incandescent

Galbanum is a sharp, green, somewhat bitter smell. Angelica is peppery, but in a soft, delicate way.

15. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Thanks! Bois d'Orage (French Lover) is one of my favorite scents. I actually pulled the trigger and ordered Geranium Pour Monsieur so that will be my second bottle of FM. My wife already has L'eau d'Hiver (her standard work scent) and Portrait of a Lady (date night).

16. L'Incandescent

I know some of you buns-heads will think I am lying but I don't even care I am wearing Ungaro II as my SOTE. It is definitely in the ballpark of Jicky, but a bit lighter and more citrusy. Also less civety.

17. California Dreamer

buns-heads

Because we're hot and cross? :)

1 person likes this.
  18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yesterday was sunny and 75 degrees, so I wore Blue Santal by Comme des Garcons. It lasts pretty much all day, but in the later evening I put on some Black Aoud.

Is anyone else here a big fan of Comme des Garcon fragrances? I mean, they have a gazillion to choose from, and the odds are in favor of a person liking at least more than one.

20. rach2jlc

That's a good idea. Decants are a nice way to get rid of excess juice you don't need, recoup some of your investment, and still have the chance to keep/wear some for yourself. You can also sell the empty bottles to collectors on ebay, if you decide not to keep them for yourself.

I haven't done decants in ages, but back in my basenotes days in the early/mid 2000's it was a lot of fun. It was also a nice way to do swaps/trades and try new stuff and meet other fragrance fans in your geographical area.

Enjoy! And good choice on the Jules. :) If you like those spicy/boozy 70's/80's scents, try Balenciaga Portos, Balenciaga Pour Homme (the original one), Guerlain Derby, and the original Givenchy Gentleman. I may wear the latter for my SOTD. It's far too hot today for it, but I don't care if I frighten away my colleagues. This way they won't linger around my office door. ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014