1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Today is the first day of the semester, which I always treat like the opening day of baseball season. The honor of the opening day start goes to Ormonde Jayne Ta'if.

1 person likes this.
  2. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Today I'm wearing Armani Code. I'm pretty sure this is the first designer scent that I ever bought, and I still wheel it out occasionally for old times' sake.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Heh. Unfortunately I work near to not just one, but two administrators who claim to be 'extremely sensitive' to perfumes and have designated 'scent-free areas' (they have all those passive aggressive signs saying things like "scent-free makes sense" and pictures of skunks etc.), so I tend to wear either nothing or things that wear very close to the body when I'm the office (which I try to be as little as possible).

4. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Poivre Piquant. This is strong pepper on a delicate, sweet creamy base. I don't know anything that smells similar at all. It's really quite lovely.

5. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

SOTD - Jo Malone Sweet Cedar and Lime courtesy of @Master-Classter - who gave me a 45 minute crash course in fragrances. Guy knows his juice.

Cedar is too strong on first spray for me, but I love the dry down which remains woodsy with a hint of lime. Really starting to like this the more I wear it, alas it is discontinued.....

6. L'Incandescent

Dans tes Bras is my SOTD of today.

1 person likes this.
  7. California Dreamer

Wearing Lyric Man today. Speaking of office scents, this one isn't.

8. L'Incandescent

I wear Lyric Man to the office. How come you don't think it works well in that setting?

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Wearing the last of my GĂ©ranium pour Monsieur sample. As much as I kinda dislike the first half hour, I love the rest. I have a feeling there's a full bottle in my future.

1 person likes this.
  10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I had some fun recently playing around with pretty much the entire Roja Dove collection for men + some of his extraits

Of his aoud collection...I find the regular aoud to be pretty boring. I greatly prefer the Amber Aoud..it is much better with the amber...and has more aoud. There is a slight different to the Crystal Amber Aoud...it is lighter than the regular Amber Aoud.

The Musk Aoud is probably the best musk-based frag I have ever smelled. The musk is like a real human musk (think body odor)...it is incredible...and certainly many will not like this...it is very animalistic and purely sexual. It is very unique...and one worth adding to the collection if you like this sort of very strong musk frag..

Creation-E Pour Homme Parfum Extrait - unbelievable. that is all that i can say to describe this. it is pure cognac and tobacco so sweet and so beautifully composed. every single person that has smelled this on me has loved it...

Fetish Pour Homme Parfum Extrait - this is a great spicy woodsy leathery frag. it is like if you combined Creed's Bois du Portugal with Helmut Lang's legendary Cuiron. I really enjoy frags in the woodsy and leathery categories and this one is just so amazing...and crazy longevity...

Roja Dove Danger Pour Homme Parfum Extrait - Danger is a very complex frag and there is a lot going on...I get a lot of castoreum...tonka...real ambergris...bergamot...some citrus at the top...and a bit of vetiver...amongst other things. It has sooooo many ingredients it is very hard to describe the complexity. It is very pleasant overall with great longevity...throughout the day as I wore this I kept picking up different ingredients...very interesting

Roja Dove Scandal Pour Homme Parfum Extrait - I liked Scandal but it was probably the least favorite of his Pour Homme collection...Its very well blended...but it just seemed to similar to other 'generic' frags. It is definitely very wearable and will be liked by anyone that smells it...but it just does not have that uniqueness like some of his others.

Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait - This is the complete opposite of a pure Vetiver like Guerlain or Creed's version. It is blended with many other ingredients and the vetiver while definitely present is not the only stand out ingredient...it has some floral qualities...a bit of citrus at the top...and what surprised me the most was some spice

Roja Dove Nuwa - This was by far the most unique of the frags that I was able to try. Right off the bat you notice a lot of cumin...I also picked up amber, pepper, and a decently strong ylang ylang. It is very very complex and very refined. Really only suitable for like a black tie event or other very special occassion. I enjoyed this very much...and would pick up a small amount...but certainly would not spend $1000+ for it as I don't think I could wear it often enough

Roja Dove Diaghilev - I liked this...but I don't understand the high price. I think I need to wear it more and give it some time...so I won't comment on it further yet.

In my collection I have Crystal Amber Aoud, Neroli Extrait, Vetiver Extrait, Creation-E, Fetish, & Danger. I would like to add Musk Aoud in a small amount...and maybe a small amount of Nuwa.

I have yet to try the Bergamot Extrait, Amber Extrait (just released), and Reckless Pour Homme.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    5 people like this.
  11. FlyingMonkey

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (vintage formula) today. Basically an updated Eau de Cologne, citrus to start with and a nice bit of vetiver in the dry-down. It's very much a simple, classic fragrance and not in the least bit wild. I like it a lot.

12. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Kingdom by Alexander McQueen. It's a very spicy, animalic scent with bright citrus at the top. It dries down to a vanilla sweet woody base. There are lots of people who think this smells like body odor (cumin is the culprit here), and there is some truth to that. But once you get past the first 15 minutes or so, the worst of the body odor smell is over. I actually like the fragrance from top to bottom, but I don't wear it outside my home until it's had a chance to dry down a bit.

13. California Dreamer

Sillage is a bit much, I think. I oversprayed too, because it has to last all night, which didn't help.

14. L'Incandescent

I've never had a sample of Lyric Man with a sprayer, so that never happened to me. I find that my default is to underapply when I don't have a sprayer.

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kingdom - I thought I'd like it from the descriptions but it's way way WAY too dense and overbearing. Sweet, spicy, stinky in the extreme - it's like the deathmetal of funky perfumes. Kids these days.

I'm wearing Declaration today.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  16. L'Incandescent

^^ I would have definitely guessed that you'd enjoy Kingdom.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Kingdom is one of those that I've never tried. I love the bottle - it reminds me of a faceted pomegranate seed.

1 person likes this.
  18. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Chypre Palatin
    SOTD: The Afternoon of a Faun.

19. California Dreamer

Another rose scent for me today: Aramis 900

1 person likes this.
  20. FlyingMonkey

@L'Incandescent , how many different fragrances do you actually have right now? And are they generally full bottles, decants, minis or a mixture of the three?