1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used up the last of my Poivre Samarcande today. My decant had a visible little reservoir of juice left in the bottom but none would spray out, so I opened it up and poured it onto myself. There was a reasonable amount left in there, and it ended up defeating the normally poor longevity with this one - it's still going hours later.

3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

SOTE is Ambre Narguile. The quick way to describe this is to say it smells like apple pie. It's a warm spicy scent with cinnamon and amber. There's also caramel, which for some reason I perceive as contributing to the apple pie vibe even though caramel is not an ingredient of apple pie. Like all of the Hermessence scents, it's very light, which you don't really expect from an amber scent. I actually wish it had more density.

Of all the "exclusive" lineups of fragrance, I think Hermessence is my least favorite. I don't love anything from the series, and there are some I dislike pretty strongly. (I am talking especially about Iris Ukiyoe. But I'm not a fan of Paprika Brasil or Osmanthe Yunnan either.) I do like Poivre Samarcande, though.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Molinard Homme III today. I bought this ages ago, wore it once and promptly put it away in a drawer. Now I remember why. It starts off very unpleasantly chemical (although it's supposed to be a combination of lemon and garrigue herbs) and loud, and then thankfully settles down a bit, but the dry-down is a pretty unremarkable generic wood plus wet celery with just hints of the listed vetiver and patchouli. Luckily, it apparently doesn't last very long. Although it's not a very popular or commercial scent, to me, this pretty much sums up everything I dislike about contemporary commercial fragrances. It reminds me of the smell of airport tax free outlets.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. FlyingMonkey

What are your Top 2?

6. Allez Allez

I bet @L'Incandescent can guess them in two seconds flat. That's right L'Inc, I'm throwing down the gauntlet -- the dreaded S/FotDT gauntlet.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  7. L'Incandescent

^^ Probably Guerlain Vetiver and Sycomore. But they should be Dior Vetiver and Coeur de Vetiver Sacre.

Pre-shower: Leather Oud
    SOTD: Muscs Koublai Khan.

I must have been in a mood today.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

No shit.

Trying out for the first time tonight: Bruno Fazzolari's Lampblack - a great dry fragrance of citrus and ink. I bought the sampler "discovery" set of five eau de parfums.

9. Allez Allez

Pretty close - I figured I would be average and predictable and I was at least half right.

Guerlain in is my number one by a long shot. I like Creed original Vetiver as a distant second. I did a run of vetivers a while back and I was amazed how many crappy vetiver scents there are. I can't recall if I tried the two you named though.

10. L'Incandescent

SOTE is vintage Givenchy III edt. This is a classic old-school feminine chypre with lots of oakmoss. It's quite green, but as it dries down the white floral notes come to the fore. There's also a peachy note, though not as prominent as Mitsouko's.

1 person likes this.
  11. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Wearing Lubin Idole EDT today. Yesterday was Tabac Rouge during the day and M7 as SOTE.

1 person likes this.
  12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good choice. One of my favorites. A "friendly" chypre that manages to hold its own (and be distinctive from) the other classic Chypres.

Cali Dreamer... Idole is a good choice as well. It's been several years since I wore it (I had a decant back when it first came out) and I really liked it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

14. L'Incandescent

Le Feu d'Issey today. I think I described this fairly recently. It's from 1998 (I think) and discontinued very shortly thereafter. It's quite unusual, with a million different things going on at once. The anise note is very prominent at the beginning. From there it becomes a floral with a somewhat sour milk note along with caramel. (No, I am not making that up!)

15. L'Incandescent

I think it's just about time to report a SOTE to Styleforum. Tonight it's Premier Figuier by L'Artisan. It's a creamy, stemmy fig scent. And I've never once noticed this until just now, but there's a lime note buried in there; it resembles the lime note in TF Azure Lime, although it's much further in the background.

16. superego

superego Senior member

picked up some tom ford neroli portofino and absolutely love how it starts, like its middle but don't much enjoy how it drys down about ~90m in to a kind of blandly sweet soapy scent.

anyone have recs on something that captures the top/middle notes of NP with greater staying power/longevity?

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Chanel's Eau de Cologne serves the same purpose for me.

18. FlyingMonkey

Romeo Gigli Man - meh. Just a standard wood + citrus thing. A bit soapy, not offensive and dries down quickly to become very close to the body, which isn't always a bad thing. Inoffensive.

19. FlyingMonkey

And as if my indifference had been noted and cosmic balance restored, just arrived in the mail is a decant of Amouage's Jubilation XXV... all I can say at this point, having merely sniffed it is OMFG - what a complex combination of topnotes - citrus, frankinsense, coriander and more that I can't even identify and it all seems harmonious. Can't wait to wear it, but I will have to - it's certainly not an office-friendly fragrance!

20. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I think Jubilation XXV is office friendly, but I straight-up don't give a shit.

Today: Sombre Negra - the truest tobacco fragrance out there, in my opinion, but not the sweet pipe tobacco.