1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD By Kilian Back to Black

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yesterday: Cuir Garamante - I've been back-and-forth on this, but the last couple of times I have really relished the smell of this one from beginning to its powdery end. High quality with a smokiness that is becoming addictive to me, but just too goddamn expensive.

Today: Vetiver Tonka - I got tired of scrounging for samples and bought a bottle.

1 person likes this.
  3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford for me today.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

What do you think about this compared to Avignon, which I think are quite similar?

5. L'Incandescent

That's an interesting question because you're right, there are a lot of similarities, and yet I like Sahara Noir quite a bit more than Avignon. I think it's because I experience Sahara Noir as warmer and Avignon as colder. I think what I'm interpreting as warm in SN is the benzoin and labdanum. (I get more labdanum from SN than from Avignon.)

1 person likes this.
  6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

A sample of Zegna Forte for me today. On first application there was some kind of cheap chemical smell in this. That's dispelled now and I mainly smell honey on my wrist and maybe a bit of tobacco. Overall it's a bit undistinguished I think. I reckon I prefer La Nuit and, since I have a FB of that, I'd pass on Forte.

7. Homme

Homme Senior member

Have rediscovered Eau Noire, wore it yesterday and again today. Lots of lavender up top then enough immortelle to knock flies out of the air. Love it.

1 person likes this.
  8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tonight: Cuir de Lancome - a great and unfortunately discontinued leather of the same vein as Cuir Ottoman, Rien, Tom of Finland, SMN Nostalgia, Cuir Mauresque and Patchouli 24 (definitely a leather fragrance to me. But no Knize Ten, which maybe is an ingredient that just isn't disclosed. What's interesting is that it is, according to Fragrantica, heavy with styrax are: those listed above, Tubereuse Criminelle, Bel Ami, Sombre Negra, Apres l'Ondee, SL Santal de Mysore, Fumerie Turque, Memoir Woman, Cruel Intentions, Comme des Garcons Eau de Parfum, Volutes, Poivre 23, Balenciaga Pour Homme, La Fin du Monde, Geranium Pour Monsieur (?), Chypre Palatin, and others. What I'm saying is that I need to get some styrax and see if I can detect a commonality or hope for the best in detecting it in such a bright and clean fragrance as Geranium Pour Monsieur.

9. L'Incandescent

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I forget his name, but it's by the same Japanese architect he used for many of his boutiques. It's not a super famous guy; it was profiled in a magazine article back in the 1990's.

Apparently the building was supposed to be his atelier/office, but he liked it and decided to live in it instead.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This is like LabelKing's dream home.

12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Caron 3rd Man.

13. L'Incandescent

SOTD is Chanel No. 22 vintage edt.

14. kulata

kulata Senior member

SOTD Amouage Reflection Man

15. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

Is this the same architect who I believe has a design museum named after him in Tokyo? I went there two years ago, and coincidentally, the passenger next to me on the flight was an American soldier obsessed with design who was also a big fan of this architect. I will look for the name.

16. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Toshiki Matsui.

It's not a "big" name in Japanese architecture (like Tadao Ando). But he did a lot of the Yohji stores in the 1990's, at least according to the Harper's Article where it appeared back in 1999. (Harper's Bazaar June 1999 "Yohji's Private World" by Melissa Barrett Rhodes)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Anima Dulcis for me, Penhaligon's Artemisia for she.

18. L'Incandescent

^^ How do you like the Anima Dulcis?

19. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

I wore Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. It is my third favorite vetiver scent in case you were wondering.

20. L'Incandescent

I was definitely a-wonderin'.

1 person likes this.