1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

HORNS and I have been rocking Ocean Rain. :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very nice. I appreciate that one more and more when I wear it (in hot weather.) It's really quite unique and complex, beneath its "low rent" exterior.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear Eau d'hermes and Eau sauvage all the time!

4. L'Incandescent

Oh yeah, I forgot about Eau d'Hermès. That's definitely one of my favorites.

Pre-shower: Prelude to Love. This is a nicely blended citrus (bergamot, bitter orange) and white floral (orange blossom mainly). I appreciate it, but I've never been a huge fan because I'm not nuts about orange blossom.

SOTD: The Afternoon of a Faun. When I first tried this, I thought it was just so-so. But over time I've come to love it. Immortelle is the main player, but at the top there's a bergamot note that blends perfectly with it. I wish that bergamot note could last longer because the combination is so lovely, but that is not the nature of bergamot I guess. As it dries down, the leather and warm spicy facets become more prominent.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Tonight I put on some Dior Leather Oud, from a great miniature bottle I got over a year ago and wore it last over a year ago. I'm by myself and can smell like a I finger after I scratch my butthole if I want to. It reminds me a lot of Kouros.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

To Rach’s point, I have some vintage Moustache that I wore a while ago. I really must dig that out and wear it again.

Today I am wearing Passion Boisee.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^ I recall a strong sort of eucalyptus or menthol mint type accord in that one, somewhat like Heeley's Esprit Du Tigre, and then some sort of peppery spices? I had a small decant and actually gave it to my GF of all people (usually likes more subtle soft warm stuff)

Yesterday's SOTD - The Different Company Oud For Love - good interesting spicey musty oud. I found it a little light. Well composed but a little boring honestly. Pleasant, nice, but just not particularly inspiring.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  8. California Dreamer

JMT today. O'Driu are notoriously vague about what's in their scents, but this one seem to be pretty much a jasmine soliflore. Normally I'd see "white floral" and run a mile, but this isn't too bad. I still don't think I want to smell like my mum's back yard though.

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Just got back from a week in Maine where all I brought with me was AdP Colonia Assoluta. Wearing FM Bois d'Orage tonight.

1 person likes this.
  10. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Fat Electrician. This is a vetiver that's sweetened with vanilla and some myrrh. I have this because I try everything that ELDO puts out, but I don't really enjoy it, mainly because I'm not a fan of vetiver.

SOTD: Moss Breches. Dense honey sweetness with lots of aromatic notes. This is the most Lutens-like of all the Tom Ford scents, I think.

11. Master-Classter

interesting connection btw, I believe Sheldrake is credited with Amber Absolute, maybe he did some others for Ford?

and also in a way, when you look at Chanel Les Exlusifs, you think of Rue Cambon, Bois Des Iles, EdC, Cuir de Russe, etc and then wham Coromandel... well it was done by Sheldrake, so there you go

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

I've always thought Coromandel was a big departure from the aesthetic common to the rest of the Exclusifs. I didn't realize it was done by Sheldrake!

EDIT: Quick check at BN suggests that Sheldrake didn't do any of the TF scents.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Luca Turin made two comparisons in his guide, that I can think of: Coromandel and Borneo 1834 and Sycomore and Timbuktu. These were in the same context that the former perfumes I mention are almost copies of the first ones created but then were improved while keeping the same atmosphere.

Tonight: Amouage Fate for Women - best Labnanum-dominant fragrance I've ever tried.

14. L'Incandescent

Uh oh, I might have to try Fate Woman. I enjoy labdanum quite a lot too.

Have you tried Memo Manoa? There's a wonderful, warm labdanum note in that one. It's the perfect comfort scent.

1 person likes this.
  15. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

No, I never heard of that line. Just looked it up, though.

16. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Moustache is nice, but quite dated. I love it, of course, but still it's not going to win you fans at work or among friends. ;)

Found this one in a box that I'd not opened from Japan. Forgot I had it. It's not that great, hence why it was discontinued. But still worth a sniff.

[​IMG]

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Hermes Vetiver Tonka - this is my favorite among the Hermessence line, with Santal Massoia being the second. Vetiver Tonka is definitely a unique scent that fills a niche for those who love vetiver, but it's also a good introduction to vetiver because of the sweetness of the tonka.

1 person likes this.
  18. Master-Classter

huh, I could have sworn Sheldrake did one of the Fords. Maybe I was wrong.

19. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Anné Pliska edp. This is a big boozy, vanilla sweet amber.
    SOTD: Une Rose de Kandahar. It's a dusty rose with a loukhoum vibe. One of my best compliment getters.

20. California Dreamer

I have some vintage Must de Cartier that came in a Cartier leather sleeve. I think it pre-dated yours. Another one I need to dig out.

Today is Lalique Pour Homme. So far, this is a pretty nice citrus-and-cedar blend. Going out tonight, so I hope it has legs and a decent base.