1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Silver Mountain Water - very versatile fragrance, with the metallic, black tea, and berry notes allowing both warm and cool weather wearing. It's the only Creed I've smelled that's worth owning.

2. joachim92

joachim92 Well-Known Member

Thank you!
    I have now in my list:
    1. Sample Green Irish Tweed
    2. Sample Portrait of a Lady
    3. Sample Imperial Millesime
    4. Sample 34 Blvd

I didn't add Oud Silk Mood because it's very expensive and I'm a student who can't spend that amount. Portrait of a Lady is also kind of expensive so I won't buy it in the end but I want to try the sample since you say it's amazing. That leaves 1 sample open.

Again, I don't know anything about smells but I think that within each category I could find a fragrance that I like?

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

hey Baron have you tried Roja Dov and MDCI? If you like PdN NY which has that sort of old school french style, you might like the offerings from those two houses.

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually haven't a scent from either one. I'm kinda stuck about 7 or 8 years in the past - I stopped keeping up with new houses and scents around that time, with a few exceptions.

5. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Rochas Macassar today. I'm not sure if the mini I have is the originanal formulation or the 2004 reform. There is something unusual about this scent, which I guess is the artemesia figuring prominently; there's leather in there too. I like this one a lot.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

@joachim92

You might want to try Tam Dao by Diptyque. It's different from everything else on your list and it's reasonably priced. It is a warm, creamy sandalwood scent, very high quality.

1 person likes this.
  7. joachim92

Thx, added to the list and placed my order. Should have it on saturday. Will definitely report back.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Those are some interesting recommendations based on the information given, but your insight and wisdom allows you to penetrate into information available to all yet opaquely missed by most mere mortals. I didn't know you held 34 Blvd St Germain in such high regard - I agree though, thinking that it is actually a modern classic yet not given a whole lot of love in general.

Tonight: Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur - just a beautiful, complex, and very well-blended leather. I love leather fragrances and own probably seven of this style, so I highly recommend this to be sampled by those who are even remotely interested. There's the leather front and center, yet expertly propped up, like elegantly-thin flying buttresses, by violet leaf and cumin (what?!) and so it's this kind of originality that fortunately keeps lovers of a particular style satisfied in their exploration.

2 people like this.
  9. L'Incandescent

I like 34 Blvd St. Germain a lot. There's a million things going on in that scent, but somehow everything coheres. If my memory is right, I acquired that when I bought a grab bag of samples. In other words, I didn't order it on purpose. But I liked it right away.

I would have recommended some other scents too, but the ones I had in mind weren't available at the store he was buying from.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'd recommend getting a sample of Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur. What I love about this fragrance is that it is something to grab that is fresh yet not citrus because Dominique Ropion uses mint and what seems primarily the leaves of the rose geranium. It's a great one to wear to dinner and is my go-to fragrance to apply heavily before going on a flight.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Attar this evening. Mostly rose maybe with a little oud. I don't get any sandalwood.

I'm a fan of the roja doves...haven't tried MDCI but would like to..

12. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Agreed, Horns, thats a good one. Gentle leather and violet leaf. I think thats my favorite of the Heeley line.

Tonight I'm trying Oriza L Legrand Foin Fraichement Coupé. I get leather front and center (not a listed note), oily musk, herbs, hay and a soapy note. Over time, a gentle amber-y note slides in underneath, but again I don't believe it is a listed note. I'm enjoying it a lot.

13. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Fate Man by Amouage. As HORNS said a while ago, the characterization of this as "safe" is odd. It's really, really heavy on the cumin and immortelle. Since I'm a big fan of both notes, I enjoy it very much.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. joachim92

Thx, already placed my order but it is noted for when I order a next round of samples. Also added Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley to the list.

Today: Creed Aventus again. Tomorrow it should be something else.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert. This is a landmark of perfumery, of course, but I've never been a big fan. As the name suggest, green tea is prominent. It's also a warm, spicy white floral. It's very light and delicate.

SOTD: Nombril Immense. A fantastic patchouli, in the ballpark of Coromandel and Patchouli Imperial. It is a very earthy patchouli with a bit of citrus and warm, sweet myrrh. I'd recommend this without reservation to anyone who enjoys patchouli scents.

16. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Ce soir, Divine L'Homme de Coeur, because I am a pushover for iris scents. [​IMG]

Rooty iris, no powder, on cedar pencil and ambergris.

PS--18 hrs later, I am still getting wafts of L'Homme de Coeur. Sillage with this one is limited, but not longevity!

I am taking this bottle to my office. Its a nearly ideal office scent.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Trying a sample of Piguet Alameda today. A mild amber scent, pretty good longevity. I’ll give it a refresh before heading out this evening.

18. James1051

James1051 Senior member

Back in Slumberhouse Mare today. Mare is my 'most worn' of 2014, by a good bit.
    Sharp blackcurrant leaf and a petrichor accord sitting on a stone cold rooty base of orris + vetiver. As it wears, the bc leaf mellows and the woody facets of the vetiver come forward. In the early going, the vetiver combines with the bc leaf to produce a green (not aged) tobacco leaf impression.

This is an outdoor scent, in the sense that it paints an olfactory picture of walking through a hardwood forest. And in the sense that, I like to wear it when I am outdoors. Its a gem, but you have like 'green'.

19. joachim92

My samples arrived today and I'm happy with them. By just smelling at the bottles there is none that I dislike (so thanks again for the good advice!). By smelling at the bottles I think my favourite is 34 Blvd Saint Germain and my 2 least favourites are the ones by Creed (GIT & MI). Today I wore the Creed GIT and although I quite like it it's not something that I will buy.

I also discovered that the samples come with a €10 coupon (and I paid €10 for them) so that's nice.

1 person likes this.
  20. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah, Creed. I miss my Aubepine Acacia. That's about it.
    Aventus did little for me.

I'm a broken record, but in the past year or so (or at least in the pages of this thread I've read recently) I've seen n'aught a Roudnitska in sight. You folk need to remedy this immediately.

In other news, somewhere in my wine cooler I have a TINY little bit of "Vega." I may break it out because I'm feeling frisky.