1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yes, that would be most likely. Then the spit shine.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, so you guys also call that "the finish?"

Haha gross. :lol: This thread took a weird turn.

In other news, a smattering of Chamade. I have to wash you weirdos off in some good stink.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Listen, I'm a straight guy living in The Castro, I can do sexual puns til the cows come home. And by cows I mean dykes.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Avignon - I'm 3/4 of the way through the book The Name of the Rose and felt like this will be an appropriate scent to have around me during my immersion into this wonderful story.

1 person likes this.
  5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good one. Eco is a lot of fun. I actually love the movie, only because of young horny Chris Slater going to town with a local farm wench. Nomnomnom.

I love all the CdG Incense, as with most of the (early) CdG series. I was one of the few who had all the gigantor 500ml "Cologne" series. All of them. One of my stupider purchases. I doused in "vettiveru" for months. At some point, assuming I've had enough wine, I'll share my stories about dinners and drinks with the local CdG managers for West Japan.

edit; so you're in the Castro and you haven't found a more local Queen to give you some vintage n19? You're doing this wrong, even though your badinage is passable.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Sample of Lutens' Rose de Nuit today, for the I-don't-know-how-manyeth time. I sort of hate this one, but I can't get a handle on it and I can't get away from it. Reminds me of a grandmother in all the worst ways. Or maybe, um, an uptight museum curator who no one would suspect was having craigslist encounters in the break-room. I don't like the uptight part, though - a little powdery? I do get some beeswax out of it, but it doesn't smell dark at all to me. I do like the rose note. Weird.

1 person likes this.
  7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

No one I know, either closely or casually, would even know what No. 19 is.

I kick myself for not buying a bottle of the extrait when I was in Tokyo last December.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Well, I've finally got round to trying the Kilian on today and ToH is definitely a lot richer in the finish. It's more high end rum-and-raisin ice-cream than simple vanilla. However, the Caron PuH has its plusses: I like the initial burst of lemon along with the lavender and the more overtly herbal middle. And I can't really detect the absinthe element in the ToH at all. So, I'm not sure that the ToH is as great as some make out. It's certainly very fine though but I think that right now, I'd want to wear PuH more often and looking at its construction, and I might even want to try the Guerlain Jicky that many have said that it resembles because I'd quite fancy the more animal elements in that one.

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Patchouli Imperial today. Don't smell like a hippy, nor do I smell like an emporer.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I have never smelled an emperor before. I assumed they smelled like Patchouli Imperial. Now I don't know what to think anymore.

11. joachim92

joachim92 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

First of all, I don't know anything about fragrances. I haven't used a fragrance in a while but I bought a bottle of Creed Aventus a few weeks ago and really like it (well I like the smell, but I feel like it doesn't last very long). Now I want to find some other fragrances so I can alternate a bit so I decided to buy a few samples. I was planning to order from this website: http://www.skins.nl/en/
    I can select 5 samples for € 10. I was thinking about Creed GIT and Creed MI. Are there any that you guys think I should also add (by looking at the brands: http://www.skins.nl/en/brands-az,) ?

Also: before my Creed Aventus I have had only 1 other fragrance: Armani Diamonds for men and I also really loved the smell of that one (but also didn't last very long if I remember correctly).

edit: And to answer to the thread, what I'm wearing: Creed Aventus...

12. L'Incandescent

^^

You have to try Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle. It's amazing.
    I'd also strongly recommend 34 Blvd Saint Germain by Diptyque and Oud Silk Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
    1996 by Byredo has gotten lots of love in the online fragrance world. I am not a big fan myself, but lots of other people with good noses are.

If you're concerned about longevity, then you might want to avoid most Creeds. They are notorious for their poor longevity.

13. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Best post on this thread since I joined.

Cheers

14. L'Incandescent

I did something very similar this morning. I finished reading a novel called Alger ou la Maladie de la Mémoire and I wore CdG Ouarzazate. (Not quite Algeria, but it's the Maghreb at least.) Ouarzazate is an incense fragrance, of course, but it's surprisingly sharp and citrusy at the top. It dries down pleasantly sweet. The longevity isn't great, unfortunately.

SOTD: PdN New York. (Not reading a novel about New York). This is a masterpiece for sure. Opens with one of the best bergamot notes I've encountered. It's bracing at the top, with citrus and lavender, but it's also warm and spicy. Drydown is woody and sweet.

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I get decent longevity with Creed...the exception being Aventus...which I can't smell after a few hours...but people around me still seem to be able to get a little of it...

Royal Oud and BdP last 15+ hours on me...GIT is less strong...

In terms of frags to try....what sort of things are you into....woodsy? leathery? spicy? floral? clean/fresh? marine/aqua?....that will influence what you want to try...

on a side note...for any of you serious oud lovers with very deep pockets:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-AAA-B...735?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4142edd7
    now you can go straight to the source...hahaha

16. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I think the Bourbons smelled like Imperial Millesime. The Moghuls smelt like Fougere Bengal. Queen Victoria smelt like Crown Imperial. The Japanese Emporers smelt like Sushi Imperiale. Iron Age conquerors smelled like Boudicaa the Victorious. The Romanovs smelt like Faberge Imperiale. Actually I do know that the Tsarina Alexandra smelt like Atkinson's White Rose, of which I have a full bottle.

1 person likes this.
  17. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Datura Blanche by Keiko Mecheri. It's a very sweet almondy scent. I don't know what daturas smell like IRL, but this fragrance definitely has a note in common with MPG's Secrete Datura, so I'll assume that's supposed to be the signature note.

Also, it really should be called Datura Blanc, since "datura" is a masculine noun (pedantry).

18. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Back on the Caron Pour Un Homme today... although I was sniffing the sample of Kerosene R'Oud Elements that @Master-Classter also included in the package and, hot damn, does that smell amazing! Stupid name, but what a combination! I can't wait to try it on me, but it's a bit powerful for everyday use.

19. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Y by YSL (the parfum version). This is among the greatest feminine chypres of all time IMO. It opens with sharp galbanum, but there's also an absolutely lovely peach. The heart is floral, and of course the oakmoss is very prominent throughout.

SOTD: TF Arabian Wood. One of my favorites. The name is misleading, as it's a floral (rose mainly but lots of others as well) that opens up with a big galbanum note.

20. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

PdN New York today - I've been wearing this a lot, and it's one of the few scents I could wear for weeks at a time. I see this described as "formal" sometimes, but I don't really see that, though maybe it's the aldehydes in the opening that give that impression. It's such an amiable scent. Especially as it dries down, it hints at a lot of different styles - citrus, spice, lavender, amber/oriental. I think it goes well with any occasion.

2 people like this.