1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did you try Cuir Ottoman? That was one of my favorite FOUL leathers (oil/grease/wet leather on a bike)

Overall I'm more of an old-school Knize Ten sort of gal...

Haha it does. I have lots of CDG stories from my Japan days. Some more fit for online posting than others.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just speaking for myself, I'm not into foul leathers, or any leathers for that matter. (Or bears.)

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Not yet. Should've phrased it differently though anyway. I'm quite a bit into "creamy/well blended" leathers like Dzing!, just not too big a fan of leather-in-your-face-scents like Tuscan Leather.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

D'oh. I didn't wear Leather Oud, I wore Colonia Leather (AdP).

Anyway, SotD L'Air du Désert Marocain. First time wearing it, just applied it. I'm enjoying the opening.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

91 degrees in Beijing and wearing The Aoud by Mancera Paris. The dry heat compliments these otherwise rather rich Middle Eastern scents.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. kulata

kulata Senior member

^Potent stuff. I hardly use mine but Sand Aoud gets all the love.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There's a rather strong initial rose note with the oud but once it drys down, it's quite pleasant. I don't think this would work well in a humid climate since it can easily get cloying.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I just got a new bottle of Montale Black Aoud yesterday, which is one of the quintessential rose-plus-oud fragrances, so it's quite a pleasant coincidence you would "pop in" in.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Have you ever tried Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia? Leather and gasoline and axle grease to my nose.

But many of those fragrances have too much crossover with Knize Ten, to my nose. Cuir Ottoman, Cuir Mauresque - they are very good (especially the Cuir Ottoman) but don't warrant a purchase because I feel that everything is covered by Knize Ten, including Nostalgia.

10. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: Encens Mythique d'Orient. This is a lovely rose and ambergris accord with pepper on top.
    SOTD: Patchouli Imperial. An excellent patchouli, similar in quality to Coromandel. It's more aromatic, though. Not at all a hippie patchouli.

11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

SOTD - Bois de Cedrat

12. L'Incandescent

It looks like I get compliments on Patchouli Imperial about as much as on Coromandel. Which is a lot.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Never heard of it or the house before.

Reflection Man as SotE. Vanilla. Musc. Ylang-ylang and such. Woods. Pretty good. Slightly feminine, but definitely appropriate for most men.

14. TheModernDandy

TheModernDandy Member

What's better coromandel or imperial patchouli? I have coromandel and was thinking of another patchouli fragrance to add to my collection. Today wearing Dior Cuir Cannage.

15. L'Incandescent

^^ They are so close in quality, but I prefer Coromandel by just the tiniest bit.

Have you tried George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier? It was a limited edition, so it's very rare, but it's a fantastic patchouli that's different enough from Coromandel to warrant adding to your collection.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange is also worth a try. It's much easier to find.

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Very good suggestion, and it's great to hear Patchouli Imperial is considered on par with Coromandel, which is just a phenomenal fragrance. It's also worth considering getting a small 33 mL bottle of the discontinued, yet inexpensive and easy to find, Balenciaga Pour Homme (with the green marbled plastic cap) - it's just a beautiful, deep, rich, patchouli heavy yet has all its cracks filled in with brilliant perfumery. There's a discussion on Basenotes, involving Luca Turin, where this fragrance has an oud component and no one seems to notice because it is so well-integrated as the patchouli. Brilliant perfumery.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. L'Incandescent

Wow, I have certainly not noticed oud in Balenciaga pour Homme!

18. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

When you go to Florence, this must be a place where you visit, and commit at least an hour because it is a church who's ran an apothecary since the Middle Ages and carries a large range they have created over the many years. And I'm pretty sure they are all eau de colognes and all have a a lighter Italian touch compared to French fragrances. My favorite is Tabacco Toscano.

1 person likes this.
  19. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Eau Rose by Diptyque. It's a lovely bright, woody rose with litchi.

20. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Wearing Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche today. I found a FB of this, in box, in a flea market. It’s not the ideal scent for the wintry weather we’re having, but I am impressed by its longevity, still detectable on wrist after about 12 hours. It had a kind of root smell early on, but that has faded and I’m left with a faint powdery sweetness. When the weather gets better this will see more airtime, I think.