• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scared to wear a suit to work (Maybe not confident enough)?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I work in IT not corporate IT so I get dirty doing my job sometimes but I have a satorial itch that needs to be scratched. I have a brand new mtm suit that I'd like to wear to work, It's actually a interview suit but don't tell anyone lol. I want to get used to wearing it with the the shoes tie sock shoes the whole 9 yards but I'm scared. I know this is all in my mind but I'm worried if I can pull the whole thing off, I'm kind of interested in what people are thinking but not really of me in my suit. Got any advice for me, When I put on a suit I feel different from when I have jeans or a tee shirt on I really can't explain it

jack webb

Reaction score
Form follows function. Consider the suit for days when you're not apt to get it all dirty. Don't worry about what others think. I remember a co-worker who, after a big promotion, went from jeans and sneakers to trousers, suspenders, and shoes. People adapted pretty quickly.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Form follows function. Consider the suit for days when you're not apt to get it all dirty. Don't worry about what others think. I remember a co-worker who, after a big promotion, went from jeans and sneakers to trousers, suspenders, and shoes. People adapted pretty quickly.
I'm thinking about bringing a hanger with me so I can hang up my jacket or throw it on the back of my chair. I usually don't care what people think but I know things are going to be said I can guarantee it lol.

Last edited:

pwbower

Reaction score
People will think you're interviewing elsewhere, which is good. Maybe they'll give you a raise preemptively.

But seriously, **** 'em. Have fun. We're lucky we live at a time when you can wear anything you want to most workplaces. If you can wear anything you want, why not explore the spectrum of possibilities?

And, tbh, you must want the attention on some level, right? Embrace it.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see the workplace being the place where you want to experiment or stand out.

I get it that you’re eager to wear it, but perhaps you’re better off for a nice evening out to either the theater, opera or some evening performance preceded by dinner.

TexasToast

Reaction score
People will think you're interviewing elsewhere, which is good. Maybe they'll give you a raise preemptively.

But seriously, **** 'em. Have fun. We're lucky we live at a time when you can wear anything you want to most workplaces. If you can wear anything you want, why not explore the spectrum of possibilities?

And, tbh, you must want the attention on some level, right? Embrace it.
Lol maybe they'll get the hint I'm not enthusiastic being there.im in a union so no raise for me bummer.

I hear you I wear jeans and a t-shirt to work because I can if I wanted to I could wear a suit but my job isn't really suited (pun intended) for a suit. I'm going to plan on psyching myself to get dressed up for work hopefully some day soon.

I do want the attention the higher ups usually wear suits and I'm pretty envious of them. For once I want to look really nice at work and show off a bit. I can't wait to see my bosses face lol.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I just don’t see the workplace being the place where you want to experiment or stand out.

I get it that you’re eager to wear it, but perhaps you’re better off for a nice evening out to either the theater, opera or some evening performance preceded by dinner.

I think work may be a good place to flex my fashionable style and make a point too in a passive aggressive kind of way.

Yes I'm very eager to show off my suit and my shoes and my ties and my pocket square but I'm not an opera kind of guy. I think this may be an opportunity to expand my horizons a bit thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads