• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scared to Tuck In My Shirt

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some new Earnest Sewn jeans and I'm scared to tuck in any shirts because I don't want the waist to bleed onto the shirt fabric. Should I turn them inside out and wash them? Or has anyone had any luck just soaking or washing the waist?

chowchow

Reaction score
is ur jeans washed or unwashed
if washed, it will be fine 2 tuck in ur shirt
the color wont bleed

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Earnest Sewn Fulton jeans, not sure if they have been washed or not. But I have worn them once with a white belt and the color came off on the belt.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I've tucked into my APCs without any problems... perhaps you could rub the inside waist with something to take off a majority of the indigo? Nobody will be looking at the inside of your waist and it might protect you from damaging your shirts.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, but just as a cautionary tactic, wear a shirt you don't like that much, and see what happens, if nothing, you can wear the shirts you like.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you ever plan on untucking these shirts? If not, stain away.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just read the label on the jeans - if it says pre-washed you'll probably be fine. If it says RAW you'll bleed. I've only owned one pair of ES and they were pre-washed and I had no bleeding problems with them.

I've never tried this but... what about maybe taking a damp rag/washcloth to the inside of the waist and seeing if any blue rubs off. If it does - keep rubbbing until it stops bleeding (?) maybe someone else had tried this any would know if it works or not.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Do you ever plan on untucking these shirts? If not, stain away.
some of them, either way, shirts still move up and down as you wear them tucked. It will still look odd seeing a 1/4" of a ring around your waist.
just read the label on the jeans - if it says pre-washed you'll probably be fine. If it says RAW you'll bleed. I've only owned one pair of ES and they were pre-washed and I had no bleeding problems with them. I've never tried this but... what about maybe taking a damp rag/washcloth to the inside of the waist and seeing if any blue rubs off. If it does - keep rubbbing until it stops bleeding (?) maybe someone else had tried this any would know if it works or not.
I think I'll try this. I was thinking to soak turn them upside down and dip just the waist into some woolite water. This method will prolly be better though to get some rubbing action on.

nastyandy

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I have had my jeans bleed indigo onto my white shirts, and it came out in the wash without a trace.

Anyway, you're still likely to get some blue on the bottom of your shirts anyway even if you wear them untucked.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Max

Reaction score
Pretreating stains with detergent usually takes care of that kind of thing. Just don't rock your custom-made white silk Turnbull and Asser shirt on the first day and you should be OK.

cookieoflife

Reaction score
I don't know if this'll work, but you can try to scotchguard the inside of the jeans. That might help prevent the indigo from rubbing off too heavily.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't risk it on a nice shirt (though I never thought about it before actually) but if you wanted to do anything to the jeans I think a vigorous scrub of the inside of the waistband with a damp washcloth would take off most of the indigo that is planning to leave anytime soon.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I wouldn't risk it on a nice shirt (though I never thought about it before actually) but if you wanted to do anything to the jeans I think a vigorous scrub of the inside of the waistband with a damp washcloth would take off most of the indigo that is planning to leave anytime soon.

Yeah this is probably the best way. I'll do it with a white wash cloth methinks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics