• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scared Building Muscle Will Make Suit Not Fit

bigpaul15

Reaction score
Hey guys, 18 years old year. I am a 39R suit and I like to lift weights. I am muscular and solid but I am aiming to get leaner. I am scared getting too lean will make me not fit into my suit anymore. Also, what muscles can I still get bigger while maintaining a good fit? I would like to get my arms bigger, but I am guessing it wouldn't be a good idea to get my back,shoulders or chest bigger? Does biulding muscle/losing muscle make much of a difference in fit? Thanks Guys

Duxnuts

Reaction score
The more athletic you are the better you will look in a slim fit suit. If your proportions get too far outside the norm and off-the-rack probably won't fit you anymore and tailoring will probably be your only option for a suit that actually fits.

At the end of the day you are going the right way. A suit can always be taken in, to an extent, but you can't just add fabric to it. You should always be able to buy a suit that does fit on you and have it taken in a bit around the waist etc.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am scared getting too lean will make me not fit into my suit anymore. Also, what muscles can I still get bigger while maintaining a good fit? I would like to get my arms bigger, but I am guessing it wouldn't be a good idea to get my back,shoulders or chest bigger?

You are seriously considering building up your arms only just so you can still fit in to your suit? Oh. My. God.

Does biulding muscle/losing muscle make much of a difference in fit? Thanks Guys

Yes it does- I have close to 40 suits that I can't wear anymore. I used to be able to fit into off-the-rack sizes fairly easily but not at all now; if you are serious about lifting, you had better get well acquainted with an MTM or custom suit maker.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
You shouldn't be investing significant amounts of money in tailored clothing at this point in your life, as you don't need it, and you will likely outgrow it in 6 months or so. Buy a disposable suit and/or sportcoat and focus on lifting. When you've reached your ideal weight (or when suffocating adult responsibilities intervene to take away the time and energy necessary to add significant amounts of muscle), then focus on your suit game.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Focus on your fitness and health. At 18 I was just starting lifting, but had already built-up my legs through years of cycling. Others are right. From 18-25 is probably your prime athletic years, so if you want to bulk up to bouncer size, or lean out and become a marathon runner, these are feasible. PED aside. And it also true, once you get a "real" job, get married, have kids, you'll have much less time for the gym or sports.

Don't fuss about how fitness will affect the fit of your clothes. I found after 25 I more stabilized my physique and body shape.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At age 18, how fit you are is going to have a much bigger effect on your life than how well your suit fits. So focus on getting to your ideal in terms of fitness. Once you get there, if your suit no longer fits, buy a new one. I have several things I no longer wear because I went from a 38S to a 40S due to lifting. I'm working on getting leaner in the waist and will probably have to get some trousers taken in at some point (maybe even add some waist suppression to some jackets), but I'd much rather be leaner and look better and have to deal with buying some new clothes / paying for alterations than not achieve my fitness goals and have the consolation prize that my clothes don't need to get altered.

bigpaul15

Reaction score
Well I am already pretty lean at 165 5'9. I'm just looking to go from about 13% bf to 8% and I'm just worried that will ruin my fit of my 700$ suit. But if I am just looking to get my biceps, triceps a little bigger and I already have plenty of room, it can't affect my fit too much, correct?

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Jeffreyd has already answered your question about whether or not losing bodyfat and gaining muscle will affect your suit. I'm more interested in how you're going to go from 13% bodyfat to 8% (presumably requiring a caloric deficit) and simutaneously make your biceps and triceps bigger (presumably requiring a caloric surplus)? Seems like the better course of action would be to focus on one thing at a time. My advice: (1) eat more, (2) lift so you add desired amount of muscle, then (3) cut carbs and calories enough to get down to desired bodyfat %, while (4) lifting heavy enough to maintain as much of the muscle you just put on as possible while in a caloric deficit; finally (5) purchase expensive suits that will be fitted to your body in its ideal state (which you will hopefully maintain for quite some time), thereby minimizing costly future alterations. As others have said, college is the best time in your life to get swole. Take advantage of it and show off your pipes in a cheap Hollister t-shirt. Don't hide your light under a bushel by covering your gunz up with a $700 suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads