• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scalp issues

hairwoes101

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having an unbearable time trying to figure out if this mess on top of my head is dandruff or product buildup. A stylist said it was product buildup but no other stylists have mentioned it being that to me. She said it could be because I'm using cheap products...well I am not. I use Joico K-pak reconstruct shampoo and conditioner. On other days, I use Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioner. Once every 2 weeks, I use Paul Mitchell clarifying shampoo three. Once every week, I use Matrix Essentials solutionist Instacure leave in conditioner and macadamia oil. Even when I just shampoo/condition and cut out everything else, I still get a crusty scalp. The flakes are large, pure white, and caked onto my scalp. Please help me discover what the problem is so that I may begin using the correct method to get rid of it. Thanks!!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After shampooing with the most basic product you have, rinse your scalp under warm water for at least a few minutes and try gently scratching off any residue. Do that for a few days. If the scalp is still crusty, then either switch to a very basic shampoo for a while or schedule an appointment with a dermatologist.

cubic202

Reaction score
Yup, time for a dermatologist. What it sounds like is psoriasis of the scalp. I have the same issue and I now control it with combination of prescription shampoos whenever I have a flair up. No actual cure for this and the onset of stress only exasperates the symptoms. Either way, see a dermatologist and you’ll be sorted in no time. Good luck.

kanzzz

Reaction score
do some research on apple cider vinegar for the hair, see if it helps. it worked for me, effectively cleaning all product build up, and it actually promotes hair growth and removes any bad scalp smell. never had dandruff issues but it may help with that too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads