• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SB peak lapel suits

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the only peak lapel suits i've seen that are SB come on in 2-button. Is this the standard? Or can you do 3-button or single button (not counting tuxs)? Maybe its just luck in what i've seen but have been noticing this a lot more lately.

lisapop

Reaction score
I wore one of my 2-button (2B), SB peak lapel suits just last night.  I think this is the most elegant approach to a peak lapel *suit*.  A 2-button design elongates the torso and will naturally accentuate the width of your shoulders, or provide the illusion of such.  In contrast, a 3-button peak lapel suit is cartoonish, not elegant.  It abbreviates the length of the lapels and establishes the appearance of having a short torso and being stuffed in the jacket.  It fosters a somewhat columnar silhouette rather than the much sought-after v-shape London drape silhouette. Lastly, a 3B peak lapel jacket is dangerously close to a 4B peak lapel suit---Need I say anything more? 2B or not 2B, that is the question: The answer is 2B.
Grayson

dorian

Reaction score
I didn't think Thomas Crown's three button peak lapel was cartoonish; not one bit. However, that suit was made by Campagna, so maybe Grayson's rule doesn't apply in this example.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look in two buttons, this is my favorite simply because it so annoys Ernest. Â Brown is for farmer, pinstripes for city so this suit is never acceptable.
brown.jpg

dorian

Reaction score
I like the look in two buttons, this is my favorite simply because it so annoys Ernest. Â Brown is for farmer, pinstripes for city so this suit is never acceptable.
hehehe...
devil.gif

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't help it. I try, I really do... it's just so damned entertaining.

Will pray about it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Darren likes to do single-button peak lapel. www.savile-row.com And there is a poster here and elsewhere who makes 3-button peak lapels something of a signature. Â Saw one today in progress. Â Can't say I was tempted.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chuck, the tie and shirt are nice (of course) but I have to agree with Ernest - something is seriously wrong with that suit. Maybe the combo of the cut and the fabric, maybe just the fabric itself. It reminds me of the Star Trek episode where they end up on a planet with a weird 1920s-Chicago-gangster fetish.

I think if stripes are to go on brown fabric they have to be minimal and buried in a really dense, almost boiled-wool looking weave (cf. JN3's navy Polo suit thread, IMMSMC) and probably should have a matching vest or a tan vest or something. Maybe not for farmer, but at least you must admit the countriness of it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, as to the topic, I think peak lapel looks good with one, two or in very limited circumstances, three-button configs. Need I post Sir Samuel Hoare again?:
foreignoffice.jpg
Of course the top button should not be meant to function.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DC,

I think that suit has way too much going on with peak lapels and a ticket pocket. Ditch the ticket pocket and I think it would work well, because the lapel roll sort of provides the 2B look.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Would you believe me if I told you it was an Oxxford?
wow.gif
Anyway, like you said, something just doesn't seem right.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, yes I would believe you.  That is where I've seen this before.  On the Oxxford website there is a light/medium grey suit just like that on the "Suits" page under "Showroom".

edit: Looking at that page, Oxxford is all about the ticket pocket. They need to learn to exercise some restraint.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of Darrens... pretty.
Picture%20007.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads