• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sazerac

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on this fine cocktail? Huntsman, I expect some expert advice here.

It seems to me that now that there is Absinthe readily available in the states, there are more/better available, but some places still serve something a little more like a rye manhattan w/ bitters and a twist.

For the record, best I've had so far is at the Bristol in Chicago. Any other recommendations?

samblau

Reaction score
had a GREAT one at Blue Bar at the Algonquin...but they are $20 a pop.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make them at home occasionally with Thomas H. Handy rye. Amazing rye, really adds to the drink.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my recipe that I've posted before. It is the best around (if I do say so myself):

SAZERAC COCKTAIL

1.5 oz Sazerac 6 yr old rye
0.5 oz Remy Martin 1738 cognac
0.25 oz Grande Absente absinthe
3 dashes Peychaud's bitters
1 dash Angostura bitters
0.25 oz simple syrup (1/1)
Twist a swatch of lemon rind over the drink, then discard it.

Stir with ice. Remove ice, then drink.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sazerac 6 Rye is so tasty, I just drink mine neat with a splash of water.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Violet Hour makes a damn fine iteration.

csheehan

Reaction score
Since we are discussing a drink that originally used absinthe and later a substitute, Herbsaint, I would like to ask a question. I use Pernod, since Herbsaint is not available in Ontario. When I asked a Swiss friend of mine, who has had both absinthe and Pernod, if there is really any difference in the taste, he said no. Can you taste the difference in a Sazerac considering the small amount (of either) used?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had one with Pernod, nor have I had Pernod to know what it tastes like. I think there is a difference between the Herbsaint and Absinthe , but that could be more related to WHERE I had each one (obviously not the same bar), so it's not a fair comparison.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone could tell the difference with the little amount used in the Sazerac cocktail. Both would be acceptable.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So... inspired by my own thread, I went to the bristol last night.... turns out, while I really like the flavor, their recipe is a little odd.

They are using Makers Mark Bourbon instead of Rye. They use Pernod, and instead of simple syrup, they are pouring the whole thing over a sugar cube, which they allow to dissolve in the drink (actually kind of a nice touch).

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great Link... Thanks!

garymyman

Reaction score
Places in New Orleans to try one (or anything):
-Commander's Palace
-Library @ the Ritz
-Sazerac Bar in The Roosevelt Hotel. This was an old hang out of Huey P. Long in the '30s and recently underwent a $100 Mil renovation by Waldorf Astoria. My favorite hotel in the city. The Ramos Gin Fizz was invented there, too.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
had a GREAT one at Blue Bar at the Algonquin...but they are $20 a pop.
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads