• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sawing out my long arms? no jackets available

lorcar

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I spent the last 3 days touring most men' stores in Milan. I skipped the most expensive (like Eddy Monetti or Gemelli for those of you familiar with the city) and tailor-only stores, but this doesn't mean I tried to save money and went to dirty/cheap stores only (went to Zegna/Corneliani/Canali as well).
Me: 181cm 70kg - 5'11''/ 155lbs. Skinny type.
I have ALWAYS always had trouble finding MTM suit/jackets: I'd be a 48L, which seems impossible to find here. With 48 sleeves are too short, and there is not enough material to have them extended, and when there could be it's a cotton/sporty jacket where if you extend the sleeve you'll have the visible mark.
If I try the 50, sleeve would be ok, and maybe shoulder-wise as well, but chest would be huge, and jacket would need to be repaired too much, and too long as well, like wearing a skirt.
From time to time I can find a jacket: have a Montedoro and a burberry and they fit perfect (went to Burberry store as well two days ago). For suit, I have Drop 8 with some brand.

Are you aware of any brand which could be a good try?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you need to go MTM or bespoke. You said you can never find a made to measure jacket, but based on your explanation you were trying on RTW, not having a MTM suit made. Aside from having sleeves that are too short and just taking them down as much as possible this is the only way to do it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a similar problem, and always require extra-long sleeves. This is tough to find in retail stores, but the internet has us covered.

BBGF L fits me perfectly in the sleeves.

lorcar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It sounds to me that you need to go MTM or bespoke. You said you can never find a made to measure jacket, but based on your explanation you were trying on RTW, not having a MTM suit made. Aside from having sleeves that are too short and just taking them down as much as possible this is the only way to do it.

definitely right, I was wrong and meant RTW instead

lorcar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
BBGF L fits me perfectly in the sleeves.

there is also a BB store here in Milan, but I avoided it based on my experience with shirts: too wide, too american, too big (even though I got the "slim" one), and never liked too much their style. But I'll give it a look in the next few days, thanks for the input

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 93 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 165 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 86 16.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 48 9.1%